View topic image gallery

bally-54mount09 (resized).jpg
bally-54mount05 (resized).jpg
bally-54mount03 (resized).jpg
bally-54mount02 (resized).jpg
bally-54mount01 (resized).jpg
b-pskit54b (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I am working on a -54 rectifier board out of my Bally Flash Gordon. I have order a parts kit to replace the BRs, diodes, etc. from Big Daddy's. The kit comes with a small heat sink that i am wondering about.

The original mounting uses the large aluminum mounting plate as the heat sink, with the BRs on the bottom of the board as shown on Steve Kulpa's site. Should I put the BRs back in their original location and if so, what is the included heat sink used for? Or should I move them to the top of the board and add heat sinks?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

b-pskit54b (resized).jpgb-pskit54b (resized).jpgbally-54mount01 (resized).jpgbally-54mount01 (resized).jpgbally-54mount02 (resized).jpgbally-54mount02 (resized).jpgbally-54mount03 (resized).jpgbally-54mount03 (resized).jpgbally-54mount05 (resized).jpgbally-54mount05 (resized).jpgbally-54mount09 (resized).jpgbally-54mount09 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

For the feature lamp bridge either is probably adequate but the big metal panel as a heatsink is probably a better heatsink than the to-220 transistor style one tho. The other side of that argument is the heat then gets trapped under the board when using the panel under the pcb as a heatsink.

I'd still probably do it the original way Bally did with the metal panel in the game under the board as shown in the Steve Kulpa images.

#3 5 years ago

sounds like a plan, much appreciated

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 99.00
7,995 (OBO)
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-54-rectifier-rebuild and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.