• Latest reply 2 years ago by G-P-E
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MC6810_40Pin (resized).jpg
IMG_0265 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Joydivision.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 3 years ago

I wonder if switching from a 6808 to a mid 80s/90s 6802 on a Williams sound board could possibly have the same issues with speed?

I replaced my Firepower sound board's 6808 with a 6802 & removed the 6810 (that was faulty) the sound seemed normal. I have a few spare genuine 6802's I could swap over & see if their is a difference. Date codes for the 6802s I have are from 78-80, except for one Motorola with a 91 date code & a Hitachi which is unknown.

1 year later
#17 2 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

So far it only effects the bally -51 and maybe the squawk and talker. I have used 6802 in WMS square shaped sound boards and it has always been OK.

I repaired a spare system 6 sound board a while ago & replaced the 6808 with a 6802 & removed the 6810. I did a quick test for a few minutes at the time & all seemed ok.

I pulled it out the other day to finish it with some new headers & caps. I noticed after it was on for a few minutes the sound would drop out altogether & come back with a high pitch sound sometimes. Switching the game off & on again their was a similar pattern.

I noticed when touching the 6802 chip very lightly, not pushing it, sound would come back & go off when releasing, at first this would indicate a socket problem, but the RN socket was good & I really wasn't putting any pressure to make/break a pin contact which was weird. I tried another NOS 6802 ic I had & was the same - one 6802 chip was 83 date code & the other 91.

Anyway, I reconnected the W14 track (which I had cut) to disable the 6802 onboard RAM & installed a 6810 back in the board, this fixed the problem & have tested for some time with no issues. For some reason this board did not like using the 6802 onboard RAM. Might put a 6808 back anyway as their is a 6810 to keep the original configuration.

IMG_0265 (resized).JPGIMG_0265 (resized).JPG

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

Plenty of real 6810 memories on ebay. [quoted image]

That's pretty slack with the wrong package! you really don't know what you are getting. The other thing that is common is the genuine chip depicted in the pic & the remark fake is what gets shipped - I got caught out recently with some 3081 IC's that had genuine NOS chips in the pic, but received the ones that looked like all the other remarks - however, they did work.

The 6821 & 6810 on my board are remarks I think with those dates. I bought those years ago before I realised about the fakes. They came from a supplier on the net & not an ebay seller - can't remember who.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 85.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Joydivision.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-51-future-spa-sound-speed-depending-6802-type?tu=Joydivision and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.