8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by ChrisM
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1136_(resized).JPG

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

#1 8 years ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

Parts - for sale

Bally -35 rebuilt MPUs for sale

Added: 2016-02-04 04:03:17 UTC • Ended: March 25th, 2023
    Condition: Used, good condition

0 Pinsiders added this ad to their favorites.

Price

$ 85

Item description

Good evening all:

I'll get a website eventually, but I've been doing board repair on Bally, Williams and Stern stuff since 2000. Submitted for your approval:

I currently have THREE Bally -35 MPU's that WERE battery damaged, but have been completely cleaned up, bench tested, fixture tested, and game played.

These are NOT repaired via the "media blaster cleaning method" that is currently so heavily purported and considered "the best option" by some who call themselves "professional techs" (i.e., the vias have been drilled out and rewired, you can actually see the component values, there's no hidden corrosion in any leads anywhere....), so nothing is going to come back and haunt you. Those guys make a lot of money because they do the "Earl Scheib" fix - the boards I do are truly rebuilt - done properly - and I'm unashamed to say so.

My plan from here on out is to provide boards to those in need NOW - so you don't have to wait for weeks from a typical vendor. And the cost is far less than a new board. PIN sockets are used on large chips; BRAID is used on ground repairs; "AA" battery packs with 9V snaps are provided (I will not ship batteries); all passive/active components are new (except large chips - but again, these boards are well tested), and things that NEED replaced - ARE replaced. Jumpers are all carefully soldered on the solder side of the board. No slop, mess, hacks. I build these as though I would use them myself.

Terms:
    EXCHANGE:
    1) You send me a fully populated board, including ROMS and all socketed chips. If chips are missing (see below), you'll be charged additionally.

2) I determine whether it is "repair worthy". If it is not (and I WILL repair most rotten stuff that the "board divas" won't touch), YOU tell me to trash it, or YOU pay return shipping. I'm not getting rich off this; I'm providing a service.

3) If it is deemed "repair worthy":

a) You tell me whether you want the same game ROMS on the replacement board. If you don't, or your ROMS are defective, have broken legs, etc., I will restrap and order 2732's from John Wart - Add $15. If your ROMS are GOOD, they will be reused on your exchange board.

b) I will test ALL socketed chips. If you send bad chips on purpose, or don't know they are bad, or they are missing, or I can't use them because the legs are broken, you will be charged an additional:
    1) $3.75 per 6821 0r 6810
    2) $6.00 per 6800 or 5101
    ...all other components including chips and battery pack are included in repair cost.

Terms:
    OUTRIGHT:
    If you need an MPU outright with none to exchange, cost is $110 flat fee plus shipping ($10) and Paypal fees where applicable. I prefer exchange, but will sell outright on a limited basis.

IF I AM OUT OF STOCK - I WILL SAY SO AND LET YOU KNOW WHEN NEW ONES WILL BE READY. I'm building an inventory now.

I am an electronics engineer with many years of board experience, not some guy who picked up a soldering iron one day and knows squat about electronics (but does a nice job of replacing connectors and caps, and using hot glue.....you've seen it).

Need a Bally -35 capable MPU? Get it NOW.
    Minimum Flat rate: $85 exchange
    Flat rate $10 shipping, priority mail (48 states only)
    Additional charge for chips/ROMS as required above
    Paypal welcome, but Paypal fee WILL be added
    Money orders accepted

I have many references, people I've worked with for years, including Lloyd Olson, John Wart, and many members of the Texas Pinball Festival team. Write me if you need an MPU, or have a question. Orders can be fulfilled immediately UNLESS there is a need for ROMS - or I sell out quickly - add at least one week from receipt of your core/approval of core/or order.

I will slowly be offering solenoid drivers, lamp drivers, sound boards, Williams Sys 3-6 boards, six digit displays, WPC-89 MPU boards (have several cores in process), and some others. I also work on some other stuff (system 11 battery damaged boards, as an example) - ask! I do "non-rebuild" repairs too, not exchanges; please ask if you need something.

Thank you. I have hundreds of PCB's and I'm working to serve your immediate needs, starting with Bally MPU's. Thank you.

Chris Munson
    Richardson, Texas
    ________@_____________ [email removed]

(Photo below of five boards in process prior to complete reassembly)

Item photos

IMG_1136_(resized).JPG

Photos not showing? Make sure your ad blocker plugin is not hiding them.

Contact

Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!

Seller insights

These are ChrisM's market stats.

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

N/A

Go to ChrisM's stats page

Listing result

The seller ended this ad and submitted the final sales price into our price database but opted not to disclose the price publicly.

Item location

Marshalltown, IA, US

#2 8 years ago

Sounds awesome Chris. Can't wait to get some time and organized and send you some boards.

#3 8 years ago

I've known Chris for years and he is one of the good guys - no question there. He does fix a lot of stuff us other guys won't touch

He and I may not agree 100% on techniques, but when he fixes something and says it works - it works. I can tell you with absolute confidence there is enough work out there for at least another 3-4 board repair guys in the US alone.

#4 8 years ago

Just curious, why stick with AAs of any kind? Why not either a coin cell battery clip, supercap, or nv-ram adapter option? All three get rid of the possibility of alkaline batteries doing further damage and the last two obviate the need for any kind of battery. Otherwise, sounds like a decent price.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

Just curious, why stick with AAs of any kind? Why not either a coin cell battery clip, supercap, or nv-ram adapter option? All three get rid of the possibility of alkaline batteries doing further damage and the last two obviate the need for any kind of battery. Otherwise, sounds like a decent price.

Some NVRAM adapters are in the $10-$20 range now, which is a very attractive price point for getting rid of batteries forever

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=MPU_Battery_Replacement_Options#Products

#6 8 years ago

not a fan of the bead blast method on boards either. Especially when they don't bother to take the chips with sockets off first and leave the corrosion in the socket. :/

#7 8 years ago

I may have some work for you, and I'm looking for a Bally -51 sound board.

Waiting on some PM replies currently (nudge, nudge).

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

I'm pretty sure Chris would be willing to entertain whatever you like. Drop him a line, he won't bite!

#9 8 years ago

Thanks for the comments guys. I will consider the NVRAM option - admittedly I've been out of touch a while

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-35-rebuilt-mpus-for-sale and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.