Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Quench
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220112_212239 (resized).jpg
    Front of Board (resized).jpg
    Back of Board (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

Hello all,

This one has me stumped. And there are a couple unknowns, but wanted to get some opinions anyways. This is being tested on the bench.

This is another -35 mpu in my stash (just have 1-2 more to fix then I'll be done! ) with its LED stuck on. These stash of MPUs I bought a long time ago from Herb Silvers for $5 a pc. He had about 50 mpus at his booth at a show (think it was pin-a-gogo but don't remember), so I cherry picked the ones with the least acid damage, and looked the best and got about 10 of these things. All the rest I've fixed so far. Anyways...

This mpu I believe was always LED stuck on, but I don't see much if any acid damage on it. However, there is this weird nicotinish-brown(tm) staining on it. I can't clean it off. When replacing the sockets etc, I used flux just in case (I don't all the time), with very low heat, but still pulled some pads in the U15 and U16 area. I have an order in with GPE for some replacement chips, but the poor guy is overloaded (Ed if you read this, just take your time. I'm in no hurry). So the unknowns are, I pulled a U15 and a U16 from another board that I am pretty sure at least reset correctly. Here is what I've done so far:

When LED is stuck on, if I short pins 39 and 40 on U9, nothing changes.
    Replaced, and double checked continuity on sockets at locations U2, U6, U7, U8, U9, U10, U11, U15, and U16.
    All chips in those sockets test good in another working board.
    NVRAM installed. R11 removed, and CR5 and CR7 replaced with zero ohm jumpers.
    R113 does look heat stressed, but still measures 2k. I will change it out anyways, but haven't yet.
    Pulled U15 and U16 from a working board (I am 99% sure. I damaged a leg salvaging the chip, but it was just the vcc pin, so I connected that and soldered it in a lovely way to the cap right below the socket).
    Re-jumpered the board for 2732s.

When following the FO560-3 technical manual, here are my measurements:

U9 Pin 3 s/b 2.4v -- Measuring 100mv
    U9 Pin 36 s/b 2.6v -- Measuring 4.98v
    U16 pin 4 s/b 2.2v -- Measuring 100mv
    U16 pin 5 s/b 5v -- Measuring 4.98v
    U16 pin 10 s/b 2.2v -- Measuring 5v

When pulling C14 and C15 and checking them, they measure correctly.

This is where I'm stuck, because U16 is the first suggested replacement, and once again I'm 99% sure that chip is good. If U15 is good, the 2nd suggested replacement is U15, and once again I'm 99% sure that chip is good.

So, with everything I've done so far my questions are:

Am I on the right track with U15 / U16? Or could it be something else in the reset section? Those voltages are way off though.
    It very well could be a bad U16 or U15, and my memory could be wrong. But I'll have to wait to receive the parts order to verify.

Pics are attached. Can anyone see something I'm not seeing?

-Pat

Front of Board (resized).jpgFront of Board (resized).jpg20220112_212239 (resized).jpg20220112_212239 (resized).jpgBack of Board (resized).jpgBack of Board (resized).jpg
    #2 2 years ago

Hi!

Do you know the Leon test eprom?
    This is great tool the find the mistake.
    The program does not freeze if there is a failed component on the board.
    At least the CPU (+reset section) should work in order to start the test.
    You can try first without the two 6821, 6810, 5105 IC then put the chips back startig with the two 6821 IC.

The worst case if the CPU does not start.
    If it does you can check all the 6821 and memory IC-s (It has a memory test)

May the IC sockets are bad or something in the reset but can be also continuity problem.

You can find the documentation here:
    https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Leon_Borre_Bally_Stern_CPU_Board_Repair

#3 2 years ago

Thanks, but I have tested all the chips, and they all work in another board. And all sockets are good. So does Leon's test cover U15 and U16? Or am I missing why you want me to test the chips and sockets?

-Pat

#4 2 years ago

Since U16 isn't oscillating the CPU has no 'sense' and is brain dead. The CPU needs a working clock signal before anything else can happen.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Since U16 isn't oscillating the CPU has no 'sense' and is brain dead. The CPU needs a working clock signal before anything else can happen.

So, let me see if I am understanding this right.

This would have something to do with pin 4 on U16 being no voltage, as that is the A1. The CPU pin 3 connects to U15 pin 8 through a 20ohm resistor. So either U16 or maybe R9 could be open not providing voltage?

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinFixin:

This would have something to do with pin 4 on U16 being no voltage,

U16 pin 4 is driven by U16 pin 9. It's not oscillating and is in a low state.

Quoted from PinFixin:

The CPU pin 3 connects to U15 pin 8 through a 20ohm resistor. So either U16 or maybe R9 could be open not providing voltage?

U15 pin 8 is driven by U16 pin 7 and since U16 isn't functioning, R9 is downstream from the problem.

Concentrate on U16. Remove U15 to isolate U16 from anything. Confirm there are no open/short circuits and that C14, C15, R4 and R10 are good. These four components are what re-trigger U16 to oscillate (provided the feedback signals from the U16 outputs back to the inputs have integrity).

#7 2 years ago

When I used to fix these boards, if I was sure the chip and all sockets was good, 4/5 times the issue was the U15 screwing up the clock or the gate with the 150R pull up resistor was blown. U16 can go bad, but I probably replaced 10x more U15s over the years.

I see some evidence of ripped up pads from the socket job including what looks like a bodge wire @U15 Double check for opens and shorts where the traces snakes between socket legs if it is still locked up when you get the clock working.

#8 2 years ago

Not causing the lock up but on a side note I would replace the U7 AMI 6810 with any other brand 6810 as they are know to go bad & cause issues in some way. Don't throw it out if you remove it as some of the early AMI chips are collectible now on eBay (mostly grey early date code AMI chips atm)

Have never seen a 4049AN at U14, just an observation - assuming that it functions the same as the 4049UB (unbuffered) version normally found there?

#9 2 years ago

Thanks guys!

The pads/traces on the top half of the board seem very weak. And that is where most of the brown crap is. I did the same things I did with the bottom half of the board while desoldering/soldering (was all the way down to 338C, should have gone lower I guess), and was pulling up pads at almost every location without a trace. The jumper was because I broke the pin of the chip pulling it out of a donor board.

I couldn't figure out from the schematics if U16 or U15 was were the circuit started, or was it U9. I've ordered both U16 and U15s, just waiting for them.

I will test R4 and R10 also.

-Pat

(My chip order is now in process, so hopefully arriving soon. I did order some additional replacements from Jameco to see if they would arrive sooner. I hope they are the correct replacements:

9602-- IC,DUAL RETRIG,MULTIVIB,16-DIP RESETTABLE MONOSTABLE VIBRATO Dual Retrigger
    7437-- IC,7437,DIP-14, QUAD 2-INPUT POSITIVE NAND BUFFER Quad 2-Input Positive NAN)

#10 2 years ago

Oh, something else:

I was so concerned about that brown staining, I really took extra precautions soldering and desoldering this board (as I explained a little bit about above). 338C, using flux, 650F Hakko FR300, etc. And, when desoldering things, I would check continuity with the open socket holes (both sides of board, from desolder location to component if present). I would add the socket, then checked continuity once again. Finally, when inserting the known good chip, I would check continuity a 3rd time. There were no variances in any of the 3 tests, so I'm extremely confident the soldering and sockets are making good connections. Besides the broken chip, and U15 and U16 towards the top.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinFixin:

and was pulling up pads at almost every location without a trace.

With your desoldering gun, apply pressure sideways to the *pin*, not the *pad*. Apply fresh solder first if you have trouble melting the ancient solder.

Are you sure there's no lost connection between top and bottom pads because of through hole/pad damage?

Quoted from PinFixin:

I couldn't figure out from the schematics if U16 or U15 was were the circuit started, or was it U9. I've ordered both U16 and U15s, just waiting for them.

At power-up, U16 starts oscillating. U15 buffers each oscillator phase for the CPU clock inputs. Reset releases after power has stabilised and then the CPU kick starts.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Are you sure there's no lost connection between top and bottom pads because of through hole/pad damage?

Yes, I had the same anal methodology with U15 and U16 especially. With those chips in there, from chip leg to next component on the board, not just to the solder pad on the top or bottom. Just to ensure it's making connection going everywhere.

-Pat

#13 2 years ago

Quench and Barakandl good eyes!

I received my new 9602 and 7437 and same issue. HOWEVER, I did notice a little solder blob on pin 15 of U16 which is shorting right next to the trace that goes underneath. (My 2nd issue now with flux on a new socket. At first I thought it was a good idea because it draws the solder to the top of the board once you solder from the bottom, however sometimes it draws too much, and shorts a trace if it is uncovered.)

Which also, shorts pin 15 to pin 4 (gee lookie there), and also to pin 14 of U15.

Going to try to fix this without removing the socket and post results. But I think this is it.

-Pat

#14 2 years ago

Pin 7 was also not making contact with the board on U16. Once fixing that, all voltages are correct on U15 and U16, and I get a flicker. But that's it. Continuing forward.

However apparently I either missed checking U16 like I did with the others, or missed this whole board. I know all the chips work in a different board, so it's socket time.

-Pat

#15 2 years ago

Checked every socket. Continuity on the back of the board, continuity from socket to pad, and continuity to next component on board. All good. A couple weird anomalies but got those fixed.

Board is now, part of the time, booting up with 6 flashes on bench. If I leave board powered off for a small amount of time, it will boot up fine. If I try it again right after it's booted up, just the flicker again.

(Edit: When it boots up with 6 flashes, the 5v is rock steady. When I just get the flicker, the 5v stays on for about 1/2 second, goes off, then comes back on. Weird)

I may need some help with this one, because I don't understand which components or which section (assuming valid power detection circuit?) would be the culprit.

-Pat

#16 2 years ago

I believe I fixed this one, for the most part.

Sometimes when powering up the board on the bench, I get a locked on LED OR a flicker. When turning it off and on again, it works fine. No matter how long you wait to reset it. When I do get the locked on LED or the flicker, the 5v is acting kind of wacky. It goes from 4.9 to 5.08 randomly. If it boots, it is 5.08 rock solid. I may try to replace the other capacitors in the reset circuit, just in case one or more are a little leaky. (C3, C5, C13 and C80)

The culprit you may ask? It was VR1. It was measuring 7.75v, put in a new one, it measures 8.12, and now it works.

Also, for those of you keeping score with the U15/U16 debacle, it was U15.

-Pat

#17 2 years ago

Remember you won't get the last flash on the bench without the 50V connected.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinFixin:

The culprit you may ask? It was VR1. It was measuring 7.75v, put in a new one, it measures 8.12, and now it works.

VR1 measuring 7.75V would have worked fine in game with the way the transformer and linear 5V regulator work.
    The board needs the 12V rail to come to spec after the 5V rail. Switch mode power-supplies on the bench don't guarantee this so a low voltage zener diode at VR1 can cause the MPU board to release the RESET line before 5V has settled and a locked/flicker LED results.

If VR1 measures less than 7.8V I replace it on principle so it's closer to the 8.2V design spec.

BTW glad you got it going and I hope you gave those EPROMs a deep program cycle

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Can you try programming those Hot Hand EPROMs with a longer burn cycle?
    Just overwrite them a few times (say 5 times) with the same data (without erasing) to get a deeper program and/or slow down the program speed on your programmer software.
    Eight Ball Deluxe only requires a couple of bytes in U6 to produce the first flicker.
    Hot Hand requires both U6 and U2 to have the necessary good bytes to produce the first flicker.
    EPROMs written with shorter than required pulses can be problematic with different voltage power-supplies.
    You might just have some marginal bits in the U2/U6 Hot hand EPROMs that are failing to execute the kickstart code when voltage isn't yet right on power-up.

Are you referring to this? So, just take the eproms out, and rewrite them another 5 times or so, without erasing?

Also, is this good practice when burning eproms?

-Pat

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinFixin:

Are you referring to this? So, just take the eproms out, and rewrite them another 5 times or so, without erasing?

Yes.

Quoted from PinFixin:

Also, is this good practice when burning eproms?

Depends on your programmer and how long it's taking to write 2716 / 2732 / 2532 chips. These require long program times so make sure your programmer is set to slowest speed for these chips. They were not designed for fast/intelligent program algorithms that modern programmers implement.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Yes.

Depends on your programmer and how long it's taking to write 2716 / 2732 / 2532 chips. These require long program times so make sure your programmer is set to slowest speed for these chips. They were not designed for fast/intelligent program algorithms that modern programmers implement.

Cool. I use the GQ-4x. I'll start setting the speed slower, and will rewrite those 2 sets.

-Pat

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinFixin:

I use the GQ-4x. I'll start setting the speed slower, and will rewrite those 2 sets.

Yep, set the speed to "-2" and tick the "Double Write" option box.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-35-mpu-led-on-all-chips-good?hl=pins4u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.