Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by thedefog
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Have had a nice Skateball -35 MPU board without acid damage lying around for almost twenty years so I thought it would be fun to see if it would work in my Speakeasy.

First I fixed the jumpers to reflect the different ROM setup.
I placed the board in the backbox and got 4 LED flashes (+1st flicker). Not bad.
Replaced the 2 PIAs: 2 LED flashes.
Switched the old PIAs back again: 2 LED flashes.
Replaced 5101 RAM (with old stock) at U8: 1 LED flash.
Replaced 6810 at U7: 1 LED flash.

Something tells me that things are going in the wrong direction. Help is much appreciated.

#2 9 years ago

If it still has the original closed frame IC sockets, those can have broken prongs under the socket frame that you can't see. Sometimes you can carefully lift off the plastic frame and inspect the socket prongs.

It is possible to damage the IC socket by trying to inspect it like this, so don't attempt this unless you're comfortable replacing the sockets.

#3 9 years ago

Yep, the Brown Scanbe sockets have to go if they are on the board still.

#4 9 years ago

Bally stopped using the brown crap sockets before - 35 MPUs came out.

Not saying that it still couldn't be socket issues. The closed frame augat brand sockets are pretty terrible as well.

#5 9 years ago

Replace the brown sockets with nice new machine pin sockets, making sure not to damage any traces underneath.
Then try your PIA chips and see what happens

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from kursiv:

Have had a nice Skateball -35 MPU board without acid damage lying around for almost twenty years so I thought it would be fun to see if it would work in my Speakeasy.
First I fixed the jumpers to reflect the different ROM setup.
I placed the board in the backbox and got 4 LED flashes (+1st flicker). Not bad.
Replaced the 2 PIAs: 2 LED flashes.
Switched the old PIAs back again: 2 LED flashes.
Replaced 5101 RAM (with old stock) at U8: 1 LED flash.
Replaced 6810 at U7: 1 LED flash.
Something tells me that things are going in the wrong direction. Help is much appreciated.

When replacing the PIAs/sockets, you've got to be extra careful not to bridge the small traces between the legs of the PIA. That'll definitely keep you at 2 flashes.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

When replacing the PIAs/sockets, you've got to be extra careful not to bridge the small traces between the legs of the PIA. That'll definitely keep you at 2 flashes.

Oh no I forgot.. One leg was bent when I replaced the PIAs the second time. What problems has this now caused??

#9 9 years ago

nothing.... just means you bent the leg. Straighten it out and hope it doesnt snap.

#10 9 years ago

I was having same problem on one board, check traces from ALL chips from the top. See on schematic where the traces goes and test it with DMM. If you find a bad trace trplace it with wire.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

nothing.... just means you bent the leg.

Ah, read the comment as it could cause further damage.

I will find a local professional to fix all the IC sockets. Dont trust my own soldering skills.
Thank you all for your expertise.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from kursiv:

Ah, read the comment as it could cause further damage.
I will find a local professional to fix all the IC sockets. Dont trust my own soldering skills.
Thank you all for your expertise.

Wise idea. But don't be afraid to learn either. This stuff is mostly just having the right tools and getting a feel for temperature settings and how long to leave the iron in one spot. A great place to start if you are into guitars at all is with a simple stompbox kit, like an overdrive. It'll give you a good idea of whether you even want to learn this stuff in the first place.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 90.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

1,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 10.00
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-35-mpu-help-things-get-worse-the-more-i-replace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.