• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by parzval
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hi people ,
I'm working on a mpu for my Embryon and now I'm stuck. When I bought the machine the mpu was completely locked up (no flicker, led lit). There was a little bit of acid damage so I got to work. I measured the 5 volt on reset on the chips so I thought the reset was okay. Cleaned up the damage, replaced all the sockets and changed a PIA and that got me a flicker on the LED, succes . Now after the flicker the led waits a while and then just turns on. So I don't get the first flash which would be a problem with the roms. I allready saw that the roms were in bad shape so had ordered them earlier. While waiting I cleaned up the pcb a bit more and made the jumper changes so when the roms came I could just pop them in and see if it worked. I've been working on it for a few days and worked very precise. Then came a new PIA and my new roms (home version 9) checked the rom type and jumpers once more. And installed, hoping it would work but ofcourse, it didn't after this I've been checking a lot of traces, continuity and looking over my work again. I can't find anything wrong.
It still gives me a flicker, pause and then a lit LED.

Does anybody know what I'm missing? Any clue what to look next for? Is there some kind of continuity chart to check roms?

Thank you all in advance

#2 7 years ago

Maybe and obvious question but did you measure ALL of the voltages, you mention the 5V but not the others? If not I would start by making sure the proper voltage is getting from the transformer and power board to the MPU, and associated test points. If all those are in tolerance, try downloading this guide from Pinwiki and then perhaps get out the IC tester and start the fun stuff!

http://howtopinball.com/files/pinball/paperwork/bally-classic/theory-of-operation-and-repair-guides/Bally%20repair%20procedures%20FO%20560-3.pdf

#3 7 years ago

Thank you for the quick response. I checked all the voltages at the beginning. Didn't check them again after cleaning the board. I will do that and will let you know. Thank you for the guide, looks like good reading material. I allready found some stuff I haven't read before.

#4 7 years ago

Problem solved! very happy with it. Thank you Atari Daze, you provided the exact document I needed. In the repair guide there is a continuity chart I needed and with this I was able to check all data lines. Found a break in an adress line. Even after I found it, it was not possible to see without measuring it. It was the pcb tunnel close to the battery terminals.

#5 7 years ago

Glad to hear you got it working. Don't thank me, thank Pinwiki!

7 months later
#6 6 years ago

Man, sorry to bump this semi-oldie but that manual is BRILLIANT. How did I get along without it for so long? Thanks Atari_Daze, and Pmius for this thread!

Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Maybe and obvious question but did you measure ALL of the voltages, you mention the 5V but not the others? If not I would start by making sure the proper voltage is getting from the transformer and power board to the MPU, and associated test points. If all those are in tolerance, try downloading this guide from Pinwiki and then perhaps get out the IC tester and start the fun stuff!
http://howtopinball.com/files/pinball/paperwork/bally-classic/theory-of-operation-and-repair-guides/Bally%20repair%20procedures%20FO%20560-3.pdf

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 7.50
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 199.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-35-mpu-boot-problem-no-first-flash-embryon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.