(Topic ID: 306658)

Bally -35 MPU LED Stuck on bench, 3 and then 6 flashes if cpu reset (FIXED)

By PinFixin

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinFixin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

porky pig (resized).png
MPU_U10_Trace2.jpg
MPU_U10_Trace.jpg
20211224_095458 (resized).jpg
20211224_103756 (resized).jpg
20211224_103653 (resized).jpg
20211224_104011 (resized).jpg
20211224_104210 (resized).jpg
20211224_104050 (resized).jpg
20211224_112510 (resized).jpg
20211224_112945 (resized).jpg
20211224_112727 (resized).jpg
bottom left -35 (resized).jpg
Top -35 (resized).jpg
Bottom -35 (resized).jpg
Top -35 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Hey, this MPU is driving me nuts. I am testing it on the bench, with just the voltages going to J4. When I test it after sitting for a while, the board will flash 3 times. If I reset the power (turn it off and on waiting like 30 secs in between) the led then stays on, however if I jump pins 39 and 40 for U9, it will give me the 3 flashes again.

I've had this MPU for about 10 years, from what I remember I had it in a Cybernaut, and it worked fine (7 flashes etc). I then burned roms for Hot Hand for it, and the LED would stay on. I then realized I had a bad checksum on one of the roms, reburned it, and then I was getting it to 1 or 2 flashes intermittently. I then installed an NVRAM, removed R11, and put zero ohm resistors at CR5 and CR7. Now it does the above.

The board looks nice, there was a small amount of acid damage to it, around the battery sockets, and 1-2 components in the reset section but that was it (just the solder joints look old). The sockets have been replaced (not by me) with machine pinned sockets, and it looks like a decent solder job.

I don't quite understand why when you power cycle it, I get an LED stuck on, then when jumpering it goes through it's 3 flashes. The 6800 U9 looks new, the 6821 U10 looks new. (I can take some pictures of it tomorrow in the sunlight and post them). Is this a capacitor related failure?

There was no trauma to the board at all between when it would get 7 flashes with the cybernaut roms, and when I burned the hot hand roms. What do you guys think of this one?

-Pat

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFixin:

(I can take some pictures of it tomorrow in the sunlight and post them)

Please do.

Quoted from PinFixin:

I don't quite understand why when you power cycle it, I get an LED stuck on, then when jumpering it goes through it's 3 flashes.

Your bench power-supply might not be coming up to voltage in the way the game/board expects so the valid power detector circuit doesn't pass.
If you're getting 3 LED flashes with a manual reset it's indicating an issue around U10 which could be the chip itself or a connection to it.

Note: there's differences in how the board is configured between Cybernaut and Hot hand - not specifically related to your problem but ultimately you need to configure it accordingly. Which game do you intend on using it in?

#3 2 years ago

I am using a computer gaming PC power supply. A cheap one I wouldn't use in my personal computer, but figured it'd be overkill for benchtesting mpus. I get 4.97v at pin (40?) on U9 when the led is on, so it seems like the board is getting good voltage?

Please see pics attached. If anyone needs any other sorts of pics, please let me know. I'm handy with paint.net, and have a decent phone for hi-res pictures. It looks like it's going to rain a little more here, but I can get them throughout the day. I'll go out and remove U10, take a picture of the socket, and try to get a side view of it as much as possible.Top -35 (resized).jpgTop -35 (resized).jpg

Bottom -35 (resized).jpgBottom -35 (resized).jpgTop Left -35 (resized).jpgTop Left -35 (resized).jpgtop right -35 (resized).jpgtop right -35 (resized).jpgbottom left -35 (resized).jpgbottom left -35 (resized).jpgbottom right -35 (resized).jpgbottom right -35 (resized).jpg
#4 2 years ago

One thing I should note is, I changed out the LED to a super bright LED. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0779RK247

I spent a lot of time and research on getting these, but still aren't 100% sure they are the right spec. I wasn't sure if it was possible to bring down the 12v that much to cause an issue when it's powering the led.

#5 2 years ago

Where is R11. Its missing. Never mind

I then installed an NVRAM, removed R11, and put zero ohm resistors at CR5 and CR7. Now it does the above.

#6 2 years ago

More pics. This is of the U10 socket, J4 connector, a little more of the reset section, and my test bench setup.

20211224_112727 (resized).jpg20211224_112727 (resized).jpg20211224_112945 (resized).jpg20211224_112945 (resized).jpg20211224_112510 (resized).jpg20211224_112510 (resized).jpg20211224_104050 (resized).jpg20211224_104050 (resized).jpg20211224_104011 (resized).jpg20211224_104011 (resized).jpg20211224_104210 (resized).jpg20211224_104210 (resized).jpg20211224_103653 (resized).jpg20211224_103653 (resized).jpg20211224_103756 (resized).jpg20211224_103756 (resized).jpg20211224_095458 (resized).jpg20211224_095458 (resized).jpg
#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Note: there's differences in how the board is configured between Cybernaut and Hot hand - not specifically related to your problem but ultimately you need to configure it accordingly. Which game do you intend on using it in?

You mean for ROMs? I have it jumpered for 2732s, which was what Cybernaut was.

Edit: LOL I still haven't answered your question, I intend to use it in Hot Hand.

#8 2 years ago

just an observation, but there's quite a few suspect IC socket pin to board solder pad connections.

have you ensured continuity on all the IC legs to their respective board traces, on both sides of the board?

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

just an observation, but there's quite a few suspect IC socket pin to board solder pad connections.
have you ensured continuity on all the IC legs to their respective board traces, on both sides of the board?

It's amazing. I've never done board work in which I've taken pictures and looked at bad solder joints that way.

Pin 33 on U10 was not making continuity down to the VIA to U11 pin 33.

However, when repairing that trace, and turning on the test bench, I just get a solid LED. But when I short pins 39&40 of U9 I get 6 flashes. So, I guess I'm going to try the board in the game, with just J4 connected and see what happens.

-Pat

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFixin:

One thing I should note is, I changed out the LED to a super bright LED.

If you've still got the original LED I'd put it back. After the 7 flashes it should go dim which signifies that the software/board is running. A super bright LED will come on at almost normal intensity (not dim) so makes it harder to understand what state the board is in. In this application, low intensity LEDs are better.

Quoted from PinFixin:

I have it jumpered for 2732s, which was what Cybernaut was.

You should jumper E12 to E9 to get rid of that long jumper wire.

Edit: LOL I still haven't answered your question, I intend to use it in Hot Hand.

The two 2k ohm 1/4 watt resistors at R113 and R16 have suffered heat stress and R113 commonly fails because of this. Replace them both with 1/2 watt versions.
Note; if you ever put this MPU board back in Cybernaut it should have a 1N4148 diode at R113 instead of the resistor. This MPU board is dated 1981 so came from an earlier Bally game.
The 24k ohm resistor at R21 is for 7-digit games. 6-digit games have a 36k ohm resistor. With Hot Hand you should be safe to leave it at 24k ohms - just means there's less chance of you noticing display flickering.

Quoted from PinFixin:

Pin 33 on U10 was not making continuity down to the VIA to U11 pin 33.

You mean this trace?

MPU_U10_Trace.jpgMPU_U10_Trace.jpg

Get rid if the whisker wire before it causes a short:

MPU_U10_Trace2.jpgMPU_U10_Trace2.jpg

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

The two 2k ohm 1/4 watt resistors at R113 and R16 have suffered heat stress and R113 commonly fails because of this. Replace them both with 1/2 watt versions.
Note; if you ever put this MPU board back in Cybernaut it should have a 1N4148 diode at R113 instead of the resistor. This MPU board is dated 1981 so came from an earlier Bally game.
The 24k ohm resistor at R21 is for 7-digit games. 6-digit games have a 36k ohm resistor. With Hot Hand you should be safe to leave it at 24k ohms - just means there's less chance of you noticing display flickering.

You mean this trace?
[quoted image]
Get rid if the whisker wire before it causes a short:
[quoted image]

Yes, that is the trace I repaired. I guess I need to invest in some sort of magnifier or microscope. It still looks "ok" to me, but obviously it wasn't after testing. Got rid of the wire also.

Are you saying those components could be the cause of the locked on led on the bench? R113, R16, and R21?

-Pat

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFixin:

Are you saying those components could be the cause of the locked on led on the bench? R113, R16, and R21?

No.
However when R113 goes open circuit like they do, you'll get 6 LED flashes and your R113 has clearly been running too hot.

Your PC power-supply is causing the locked on LED at power-up. I get it with some MPU boards on my PC power-supply too which however boot every time hooked up in game.

The MPU board expects the 5 volt rail to first reach nominal voltage, then the 12 volt rail at which time it determines power is valid and releases the /RESET signal on the board so the CPU can kick start after power has stabilised.

PC power-supplies being switch mode do not behave in this sequence. That's why they have a separate "Power Good" signal to tell a computer motherboard when voltages are stable.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

No.
However when R113 goes open circuit like they do, you'll get 6 LED flashes and your R113 has clearly been running too hot.
Your PC power-supply is causing the locked on LED at power-up. I get it with some MPU boards on my PC power-supply too which however boot every time hooked up in game.
The MPU board expects the 5 volt rail to first reach nominal voltage, then the 12 volt rail at which time it determines power is valid and releases the /RESET signal on the board so the CPU can kick start after power has stabilised.
PC power-supplies being switch mode do not behave in this sequence. That's why they have a separate "Power Good" signal to tell a computer motherboard when voltages are stable.

Okay, now I understand where I am confused, if that makes sense.

I did not know Cybernaut used a -133 Bally MPU. I thought it used a regular -35 board. The mod you are suggesting by putting the diode back into Cybernaut at R113 would convert the board back to a -133. I was familiar with Baby Pacman and Granny and the Gators (I think) using the -133 but not Cybernaut?

(By the way, this Cybernaut I had, did have one of the 6802 prototype mpus in it that I sold with the game, which was why I wanted to put a -35 in it.)

-Pat

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFixin:

I did not know Cybernaut used a -133 Bally MPU.

Sorry, looks like I was telling porky pigs there. The -133 boards were used in games that took advantage of dual phase DC for the feature lamps. Don't know why I thought Cybernaut was one of them but it isn't. Cybernaut requires a resistor at that location - sorry for the confusion.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Sorry, looks like I was telling porky pigs there. The -133 boards were used in games that took advantage of dual phase DC for the feature lamps. Don't know why I thought Cybernaut was one of them but it isn't. Cybernaut requires a resistor at that location - sorry for the confusion.

Thank you for the clarification. The R113 and R16 upgrade to 1/2 watt is good to know.

This thread is resolved, and my other sound card thread is resolved also. Done! I will replace those resistors with the upgraded 1/2w and not worry about the board for a while.

-Pat

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Sorry, looks like I was telling porky pigs there.

The phrase is "pork PIES" (or shortened to just 'Porkies') because it rhymes with "LIES". It is UK English 'rhyming slang'.

Leave poor Porky Pig outta this!

porky pig (resized).pngporky pig (resized).png
#17 2 years ago
Quoted from pins4u:

The phrase is "pork PIES" (or shortened to just 'Porkies')

Hah, so that's where I broke that saying.
At least I don't porky pig around the house

#18 2 years ago

So kind of an interesting find.

For this MPU in this thread, it's working perfectly now. I started working on another MPU with acid damage to see if I can fix it. Spent the last few hours on it, and needed to start testing chips.

When removing the EBD roms I burned (2732), and placing them in the known good board, the power supply didn't have the issue where the led was stuck on. It booted up immediately. Tried it 3-4 times, and same thing. Put the Hot Hand ROMs back in the known good board, and voila, same problem as before led stuck on. Yes it booted up if I shorted the reset but strange behavior I thought.

Then, I started testing all the chips one by one in the known good board (on my 2nd board, it was the CPU that was the problem). When I got to the U11 PIA, I put it in the known good board, and whammo, booted up again perfectly. I tried it 3-4 times and same thing. I put the original known good PIA back in the known good board, and voila, again. Led stuck on, but will reset when shorting pins 39&40 of the cpu.

I thought that was so neat that when swapping eproms, and a different pia in U11, it fixed the problem on the bench. At least I have a good mpu now for Hot Hand, and a 2nd working one that I can use as a testing board.

I'm just absolutely fascinated with these MPUs now that I have a little more confidence in soldering skills, troubleshooting.

-Pat

#19 2 years ago

Can you try programming those Hot Hand EPROMs with a longer burn cycle?
Just overwrite them a few times (say 5 times) with the same data (without erasing) to get a deeper program and/or slow down the program speed on your programmer software.

Eight Ball Deluxe only requires a couple of bytes in U6 to produce the first flicker.
Hot Hand requires both U6 and U2 to have the necessary good bytes to produce the first flicker.

EPROMs written with shorter than required pulses can be problematic with different voltage power-supplies.
You might just have some marginal bits in the U2/U6 Hot hand EPROMs that are failing to execute the kickstart code when voltage isn't yet right on power-up.

3 months later
#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Can you try programming those Hot Hand EPROMs with a longer burn cycle?
Just overwrite them a few times (say 5 times) with the same data (without erasing) to get a deeper program and/or slow down the program speed on your programmer software.
Eight Ball Deluxe only requires a couple of bytes in U6 to produce the first flicker.
Hot Hand requires both U6 and U2 to have the necessary good bytes to produce the first flicker.
EPROMs written with shorter than required pulses can be problematic with different voltage power-supplies.
You might just have some marginal bits in the U2/U6 Hot hand EPROMs that are failing to execute the kickstart code when voltage isn't yet right on power-up.

I have not specifically overwritten these roms, however, I have taken your advice on several other eproms that I have burned, and this works great. Slowing down the programmer all the way and writing them the first time at least twice, seems to resolve a lot of the weird funky issues I was getting with burning eproms.

Thank you Quench for the suggestion, this is one of those things that I will be doing all the time in the future.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-35-mpu-3-flashes-then-led-on-when-power-reset and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.