• Latest reply 2 years ago by gdonovan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

986ACC83-BD22-4B2D-BE3E-A88EC27A4B2C (resized).jpeg
EC73CEF0-686F-447A-83AC-545343FF3FD3 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 2 years ago

I have an older GQ-4X (not 4x4) and I never had these issues. I am thinking something changed in the 4x4 version.

I did confirm that the Vpp actually does not touch 25v, but I have not had much trouble and burned probably over a thousand of M2732 ROMs in the last 10 years with that thing. Use the fast speed, double write is on by default. Burns both passes in only like 5-10 seconds. Never had to do multiple burns. Only ones I can remember failing after burn or being unreliable was TMS2732, and I think i just had a bad batch.

Currently go back and forth with a TOP3000 and GQ-4X. Those two burners cover most things up to DIP42. I use the TOP3000 when possible, but it won't do the 24pin ROMs and has a few bad profiles like The 4Mbit EPROM profiles are all screwed up.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

I've probably helped half a dozen pinsiders now with weakly written EPROMs that work/don't work depending on where within +/- 10% the 5 volt rail is sitting. That was the giveaway in this thread (they worked cold but failed warm when 5V had drifted a little).
gdonovan was one of the pinsiders I helped and from memory his problems were 2732's. If he remembers, maybe he can comment.
I've had the same issue myself with the TL866A programmer (for the same reason) but more so with 2716 than 2732.

Yeah then something has changed in the new 4x4 because I have not seen that behavior. I burn so many chips I would have ran into that. Maybe should stop recommending that burner? Someone should see whats going on the Vpp pin. I'd guess not going high enough V?

I am not sure how well I'd trust a chip that I had to burn a bunch of times to get the write to stick.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

There's a few factors involved like how good the Vpp voltage is, the programming algorithm and chip type. Specification for 2716 generation chips say 50ms programming time per cell which equates to 92 seconds for a fully programmed 2716. So it's no surprise that "fast" 7 seconds full device write times can be flaky and so more write cycles are needed to get deeper programmed cells.

1000s of chips on fast no issue with a 10 year old gq4x

speed may be a factor but doesn't seem to be an issue with mine. My TOP3000 programs most chips even faster than the GQ-4X does. W27C512 is 30 seconds GQ4X and 10 seconds TOP3000.

Any alternatives to GQ4x4 that does 24pin 25vpp EPROMs that is win10 compat and not super expensive?

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

None that I know of. But at least you can adjust the program time although it's guess work as "-2" through "+2" speed settings say absolutely nothing about how long it will take. Other programmers with speed adjustable settings state the actual program pulse times in micro/milli seconds.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the GQ4X doesn't have the option to verify at +/- 5% and +/-10% of VCC. If it did the EPROMs used here would have failed verification in those steps showing the weak write.
Other thing is we don't know if squad8 friend that programmed the chips used an external power source for the GQ4X so the current from Vpp may not have been high enough to program the cells.

In GQ-4X No VCC control. Speed adjustments are ambiguous, I just leave it wherever the profile is preset too. One thing I have noticed is some chips take longer to program, and if it takes really long I probably selected the wrong profile with too low Vpp. It tells you to use an external power supply, so I always have.

TOP3000 software does not even have a speed adjustment or vcc adjustment. I think it will do a 2716B / 2732B (haven't tried) but no other ones. It has a 25v and 21v profiles, but when you select them the vpp pin stays flat 0v. If it could do the 24pin chips and had a good profile for 27c4001 I would probably retire the GQ4X.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
$ 10.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-35-intermittent-power-up?tu=barakandl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.