Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bally MPU Board (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Can anybody tell me if is is necessary to have the header pins soldered on in order to bench test a -35 MPU. I am working on a corrosion repair and I have cleaned/neutralized/removed the corrosion, removed and replaced all of the components in the corrosion repair kit, plus a few more that were affected, replaced 3 IC sockets in the affected area, U7, U8 and U11. I haven't installed the new header pins. I have bench tested the MPU and I get the dreaded solid always on LED.

#2 5 years ago

No you can boot the board without the header pins.

#3 5 years ago

Much appreciated. Looks like it's time to start troubleshooting.............

#4 5 years ago

try a manual reset. force cpu p40 low for a moment. Easiest way to do it on a 6800 cpu is just use a flat blade or whatever and bridge p39 and p40 together for a moment.

Switcher supplies power rails do not come up in the some way the original linear supply does so the CPU may not reset properly.

#5 5 years ago

Hi Andrew, sounds good, I'll try that first

#6 5 years ago

All you need is +5V to TP5 and GND to TP4 and +12V to TP2. This should get you to 6 flashes. To get the 7th flash, short TP3 to TP2.

Instead of shorting CPU pins 39/40, you can simply pull the +12V off of TP2 for a moment to trigger another reset.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

All you need is +5V to TP5 and GND to TP4 and +12V to TP2. This should get you to 6 flashes. To get the 7th flash, short TP3 to TP2.
Instead of shorting CPU pins 39/40, you can simply pull the +12V off or TP2 for a moment to trigger another reset.

For the 7th flash I jumper the top of R17 to the top of R23. Probably the same result but the test points do get crowded

#8 5 years ago

Thanks everyone, I'll get back on it this evening when I get home from work.

#9 5 years ago

shorting pins 39-40 of U9 does nothing, the led stays on, removing the 12V from TP3 does nothing, the green led comes back on solid

#10 5 years ago

Then, assuming you have good phase 1 and 2 clock signals, it sounds like the CPU cannot access the EPROMs to start running the program.

This is where we usually ask for close up (in focus) photos of the area from the 6810 downward.

Of course, one check for you is to do continuity checks for DO-7 and any of the low Address lines from the 6800 to the 6810. This checks a number of lines that are in the "problem" area.

Of course, most of us that do a lot of these boards usually replace sockets for U9 and U10 as well as U2 and U6 before bothering to play with it further. That's assuming, you can unsolder a socket without doing more damage than what you started with (no jab at you or your skill set, just a reality of many home brew techs out there).

#11 5 years ago

I'm getting 5.3V at U9 pin 40, but that's as far as i get

#12 5 years ago

We need FOCUSED, WELL LIT pictures, front and back.

Did the board ever work (or did you buy it busted?)?

Is is jumpered for the correct ROMs?

Is the memory chip good?

What are you using for a bench supply?

#13 5 years ago

ok, big miss on my part, i forgot to repair a broken trace on the solder side in the corrosion area. got that repaired and now i am getting 4 flashes. so i either have a bad U11 chip or a bad connection from my repairs.

#14 5 years ago

what checks can i do to narrow it down? is there a continuity chart for u11?

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from handymancanfixit:

what checks can i do to narrow it down? is there a continuity chart for u11?

P21 to 40 can be traced back to the other PIA. There is just one address pin different I believe.

#16 5 years ago

is there a continuity chart somewhere for u10 and u11?

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from handymancanfixit:

is there a continuity chart somewhere for u10 and u11?

Bally MPU Board (resized).jpgBally MPU Board (resized).jpg

#18 5 years ago

Awesome! Much appreciated!

#19 5 years ago

Thanks for all the help. I found a solder bridge under the U11 chip, one of the socket pins to a trace. Got that fixed and now I get 6 flashes, 7 with the jumper.

Another Bally -35 MPU board saved!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 22.50
$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

7,995 (OBO)
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 99.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-35-corrosion-repair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.