Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by vdojaq
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

ok guys strap in for this one, I have a lost world that wont boot with the door closed.... crack the head 2-3" and itll boot fine....... with door harness unplugged does the same, all displays unplugged does the same, with all plugs removed from the MPU except for the power plug lower left it does the same...... NOTHING on that harness moves when the door is opened that tiny bit but it still does it.... On lower left of the MPU male and female of that plug was changed .... still does it ....With absolutley NOTHING on the board plugged in and it still not booting with the door closede I figured it MUST be EMF from the hi V harness going to the displays...... Made a shield with a packing envelope filled with foil to completely cover the front of the MPU....STILL wont boot with door completely closed.... you can wiggle and jiggle all the harnesses you want with the door open itll boot EVERY time ...close the door the last 2" and it wont..get it to boot with the door open and you can close it and play a game no probs..I had this prob once before on an 8 ball, i ended up wiring a momentary button across the reset line of the mpu to force reset and it would be ok ... turn the game on hit the button ad it would boot.......I can do that to this one too but wanna fix it right. WHY WHY WHY will this not boot with the last few inches of the door closed..the harnesses that do felx are not even hooked up ..power harness dont even move a smidge when the doors closing.. anyone who can figure this one out I will see to it you get the "nobel pinball prize".........the easy fix is an altek ..... but because i encountered this 2x now i want to find the exact cause.....this ones a head banger

#2 6 years ago

Any pics of inside backbox,closeups too? Maybe someone will see something you overlooked.
    -Mike

#3 6 years ago

Only thing I don't like is I'm seeing hi level of ac on the 5vdc .... which cap filters that ???? But that still don't explain the door gap issue .... unless some of the components on the board are more sensitive to EMF with age .... next thing I'm gonna try is try to boot it with the door closed and the hi V fuse out but I did try an RF shield that didn't matter ....

I don't have pics .... believe me this is a very clean unmolested machine .... nothing funky in there

#4 6 years ago

Pull the GI fuse and try it.

#5 6 years ago

when it does not boot. what is the symptoms of the MPU? Solid LED or no fourth LED flash?

You have switch strobes and returns going to the MPU. If the harness pinchess in the coin door a switch line could be forced to ground making the PIA power on self test fail (no 4th flash).

unplug mpu lower right plug going to cabinet switches and try again.

#6 6 years ago

it gives 7 flashes boots n plays with the head door open ...its on the board not in the machine.... diff boards work in it

#7 6 years ago

Can you throw this board into another machine and test it?

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Can you throw this board into another machine and test it?

i dont have another 35 machine here

#9 6 years ago

Where's here?

#10 6 years ago

i have other machine running -35s but nothing i can access and put this in at the moment other than this unit.....I have (2) -35s board here one wont boot with door closed I have another here that will.... that one wouldnt in another machine but now does in this one... WHY who the hell knows...... It cant be a cabinet harness problem because I was only using the lower left power plug on the mpu when testing that ...... I also threw my altek in which is fine ....... another issue I have is when either of the -35s are in the board will crash when either of the feeder lanes or out lane switches are closed in game play........fully play field was re-diodeded ....... testing the switches in the switch test shows no switches closed and board does not crash with them tested in switch test...... then went beyond that and used a jumper with a diode on the J2 of the mpu with the plug off....jumping pins 4-9 will crash the board that is another issue on this board...... diodes and resistors from J2 back to the pia are all ok and PIA was swapped..... I am about ready to light this on fire !!!!!!

#11 6 years ago

Pretty sure he wanted to know your actual location since it's not in your profile. Kind of hard to offer to come over and help if you on the other side of the country

#12 6 years ago

im in pa

#13 6 years ago

Seems to me that something is getting pinched when you close the door. I don't have that title, so I can't look to see how it's set up. Maybe something is upsetting the 5 volt line? Is the ground strap connected to the head, did you try unplugging the displays and closing the door all the way. Or look at the square molex connectors in the back box.

#14 6 years ago

Try anchoring the cable(s) that attaches to the door to the side of the backbox so that there is zero movement between the anchor point and the MPU. Also, just by chance, verify the ground braid from under the playfield to the tie point at the bottom of the backbox connection is good. By chance have you repinnned the lower left connector? I had intermittent problems that were tied to dirty pins (battery corrosion) that I did not know about. Repinning took care of it.

I'm in Illinois, so heading to PA is out.

#15 6 years ago

OK, so you have another board that is doing this a s well. This confirms this a problem in this CABINET.

Take all 4 mounting screws off of the MPU. Pull the MPU slightly forward and put something between the MPU and the metal brackets to keep it from touching any of the grounds. Run a separate ground wire from the MPU ground test loop to the bottom cabinet and see if the eliminates your issue. I believe you have a a ground/voltage bleed somewhere in that back box.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-35-booting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.