• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

341C3213-D4BB-4270-8211-B7F6F2739AF6 (resized).jpeg
C1B5EF25-156E-427F-B3C1-8EB69193D8B3 (resized).jpeg
Sound-32b.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grefla.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 1 year ago

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

I've just got a box of Bally boards to play with and I have 3 sound boards 2 x -32 and 1 x -50 - all missing a random variety of ICs.

I've managed to source U10, U9, and U5

I'm having trouble finding U11 which is missing on the -50 and is an M86L93 on the other boards

I'm also missing U3 from 2 of the boards. for the games I want to use these boards in I would need E-729-18. I imagine it is impossible to find this chip and that an eprom has to be used. Just wondering if anyone can help me out here?

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from barakandl:

The PROM is majorly obsolete but can be replaced with a standard EPROM and maybe some other devices like a GAL, but you have to shift the pins around.

I saw on a previous thread that you used to make adapters for EPROMs to go on these boards. Do you still make them?

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from barakandl:

The PROM is majorly obsolete but can be replaced with a standard EPROM and maybe some other devices like a GAL, but you have to shift the pins around.

I think I’ll try and make an adapter for a 2716 using sone sockets. Which pins need to be shifted?

2 months later
#16 1 year ago

I’m making progress, but am now a bit stuck. I have 2 -50 soundboards that are making zero sound, not even a hum when I put them into my 6mdm.

I have verified that every ic is working by testing them in a working -32 board.I’ve also replaced the big caps on the boards. I’ve double checked to make sure I’ve not done something stupid like a backwards cap etc.

I’ve studied the schematic to look for the suspect component but I just can’t work out.

The -32 works fine in the machine so the speaker/wire/connectors aren’t the issue, it’s definitely the boards, it’s just odd weird that they are both -50s with the same issue. that refuse to make any sound. The jumpers also look to be correct.

Phot below of one of them.

341C3213-D4BB-4270-8211-B7F6F2739AF6 (resized).jpeg341C3213-D4BB-4270-8211-B7F6F2739AF6 (resized).jpegC1B5EF25-156E-427F-B3C1-8EB69193D8B3 (resized).jpegC1B5EF25-156E-427F-B3C1-8EB69193D8B3 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#18 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

Separate to your issue, the LM380 amplifier at U10 needs to be soldered to the board to keep it thermally stable as it uses the PCB as a heatsink, otherwise it will start distorting at higher temperatures. See the LM380 datasheet. It's not supposed to be socketed.

Thanks @quench, I'll put the LM380 back onto the board - I just socketed them so I could swap them into a known working board to test each IC out.

I can confirm every IC in the board is OK because I have 1 by 1 swapped them into a working board. So now I'm looking for other causes - broken traces, shorted caps (i've replaced most of the electrolytic caps).

I'll try the screwdriver trick you suggested and report back.

2 months later
#20 1 year ago

No buzzing when touching any of the pins.

I am getting 6v at pin 2 and 3 of u9

From reading one of your earlier posts. I checked U9 pin 2 and I have 6v there. You said in the post that if there was 6v at pin 2 it’s upstream from there.

Any usual suspects? Where should I go looking now?

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Is the 43v to 12v circuit working?
There is a 1w carbon resistor somewhat commonly burned or out of spec, id check that too, 4.7k i think it is. Make sure the 12v zener is not shorted or open.

Do you know which resistor?

I have normal voltages at the test points.

All chips work - i have swapped them into a working board to confirm, so it must be another component, I just can't find it!

I have a second board which is making white noise to the speaker, but has 4.2v at pin 2 of u9. Similar story - all chips have been swapped out and checked in a working board, so it's not a chip issue. I've also checked the sockets for solder bridges and chescked traces. I am trying to work out why the voltages at pin 2 U9 are high, but following the schematic I find a bit tricky to work out what the voltage is supposed to be at each component.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gilbert, AZ
$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Ana, CA
1,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
New Brighton, PA
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grefla.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-2518-32-and-2518-50-sound-boards?tu=grefla and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.