(Topic ID: 10164)

Bally (1988) Flipper Issue (warning, newbie 1st pin)

By Cere4lKill3r

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Angyalpor
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bally_coil_lower.jpg
IMG_0141.jpg
bally_coil.jpg
IMG_0137.jpg
Coil2.jpg
#1 12 years ago

Alright, so I've finally done something I've wanted to do since I was a child and that is own a pinball machine, I purchased it yesterday and all was well.

I was in the middle of a game today when suddenly the top right flipper stopped working, all the other flippers work except this one.

My guess is that the coil needs to be replaced but I'm not familiar at all with the insides of a pinball machine and even less familiar with the wiring/electronics.

I did receive a spare playfield with it and there are a few spare coils on there.

From the info I've managed to find online it doesn't seem to be a mechanical issue with the flipper is there anything other than the coil that could cause the flipper to just stop working?

#2 12 years ago

Let's start with the game title....Although from the year, I can pretty much tell what's going on. But just to be sure, title....

I just walked another member through a complete electrical flipper overhaul on his Bally X's and O's, so we can get it fixed. Only took 280 posts

#3 12 years ago

Apologies I could have sworn I included the title. It's Escape from the lost world

#4 12 years ago

One of my flipper stopped working once and it was because the end of stroke switch was not closed. this may be a place to start too.

#5 12 years ago

Oh, and it's almost never the coil

#6 12 years ago

robertmee is the man, he will be able to steer you in a better direction for sure.

#7 12 years ago

Here's a simple diagram of how your setup works:

Coil2.jpgCoil2.jpg

#8 12 years ago

So, things to check:

As you can see the EOS Normally Open switch of the bottom coil switches ground to the upper coil to fire the circuit. So if the upper flipper is not working, then one of the following is happening:

GND is missing on EOS switch on lower flipper (visually inspect)
Wire from EOS switch on lower flipper to upper flipper is not connected (visually inspect)
Switch on lower flipper is not closing (move lower flipper by hand with playfield raised and make sure switch is closing)
Power to upper flipper coil is missing (visually inspect)
One or both diodes have broken on upper coil (visually inspect)
The small copper wire on the upper flipper coil has broken (visually inspect...from the picture, one lug should have a thick copper wire, one lug a thin copper wire and the middle lug both thin/thick wire)

Check all these first

#9 12 years ago

I'll check those momentarily I did take a picture of the the underside of the troubled flipper flipper.
I'll take a closer look at the lower flipper as well

IMG_0137.jpgIMG_0137.jpg

#10 12 years ago

Welcome aboard,stay for awhile.

#11 12 years ago

That looks okay...The voltage wire (far left) is in tact. The wire from the lower flipper (far right) is in tact. The two diodes appear to be in tact. I can't tell, as it's on the other side, but where those wires are soldered, you'll see the small copper wires that actually go to the coil under the wrap. Make sure those are in tact. Especially the lone thicker one as that's what initially fires the coil before the low power coil (thin wire) comes into play.

If you want to quickly test the coil, get you a length of scrap wire. With the game turned on and ready for play (such that the lower flipper is working), touch one end of the wire to a convenient ground and BRIEFLY touch the other end to the wire on your right in your picture. The Coil should fire.

#12 12 years ago

From what I can see the copper wires appear to still be in tact.

I didn't have time to try the coil yet but I'll do that when I'm finished work and see what happens.

Also, just to clarify so I don't touch the wrong thing. Should I touch the scrap wire off of the far right of the picture(The one connected to the EOS switch?)

#13 12 years ago

No the far right wire on the coil (looking at your pic)....appears grayish and is by itself

#14 12 years ago

Alright, I grounded the scrap wire and touched it off that wire and got no reaction at all.

#15 12 years ago

Zooming in on the photo it looks like the EOS switch could have some corrosion on the contacts. Maybe just a quick filing will help.

#16 12 years ago

Do you have a meter? If so, put it on VDC. Put one lead on the wire on the left and the other lead on ground somewhere. What do you read?

#17 12 years ago
Quoted from mstire:

Zooming in on the photo it looks like the EOS switch could have some corrosion on the contacts. Maybe just a quick filing will help.

EOS only comes into play on flipper stroke. If it wasn't making contact (not bypassing the low power coil), the coil would still fire, only be weak.

#18 12 years ago

Just so we're clear on the gnd test and voltage test:

bally_coil.jpgbally_coil.jpg

#19 12 years ago

I don't have a meter right now, but I can probably grab one from a friend or pick one up at a hardware store tomorrow, seems like something that'll come in handy owning a pinball machine.

#20 12 years ago

If you definitely had a good ground point and touched the wire in the picture (WHILE THE GAME WAS IN PLAY) above and nothing happened then you have no voltage at the coil on the left wire.

That means:

The copper wire on that lug is broke inside the coil (not likely)
The copper wire is not attached to that lug (sometimes breaks due to vibration)
The wire that's soldered has no voltage (most likely). That wire gets its ~43VDC from a previous coil. Referring back to my diagram, you'll see how the 43V jumps from coil to coil. I would guess that the other end of that wire is on the left hand lug of the bottom flipper coil on that side, but it all depends on how it was wired from Bally. Again, inspect the lower coil. It's left hand lug (the one with the EOS switches on it...could be right hand depending on the how the coil is physically oriented) should have TWO power wires (one coming in and one going out).

Snap a picture of the lower coil too when you get a chance.

#21 12 years ago

So i looked at the lower coil again, looks like there is a wire that's not attached.
it was resting there and looked like it was attached but upon closer inspection it's not.

IMG_0141.jpgIMG_0141.jpg

#22 12 years ago

If it is the one I have circled, that's the ground that feeds through the EOS to the upper switch. So, reattach it, and you should be good. You must not have had a good ground in your earlier test, but no matter.

Quoted from robertmee:

So, things to check:
So if the upper flipper is not working, then one of the following is happening:
GND is missing on EOS switch on lower flipper (visually inspect)

bally_coil_lower.jpgbally_coil_lower.jpg

#23 12 years ago

Robert you already hold the record for the longest fix thread,Are you going for another?

#24 12 years ago

That did it, reconnected that wire and it's works like a charm.
I've been worried about that all day so thank you

#25 12 years ago

Man, you guys are good.

#27 12 years ago

Robertmee, you are the perfect example of what makes this site so awesome

#28 12 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Robertmee, you are the perfect example of what makes this site so awesome

agreed!!!! Thanks for all your input and knowledge!! sincerely

#30 12 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Robert you already hold the record for the longest fix thread,Are you going for another?

Ha, no....I think we just set the record for shortest fix thread

Congrats on getting it working

#31 12 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Let's start with the game title....Although from the year, I can pretty much tell what's going on. But just to be sure, title....
I just walked another member through a complete electrical flipper overhaul on his Bally X's and O's, so we can get it fixed. Only took 280 posts

Now this was shorter...
Mine was more interesting... Melted coil, wrong-soldered no-name other coil, what is not similar then the original... Makes blown fuse, and broken panel wiring...

Congratulations for the fast help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 36.95
$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-1988-flipper-issue-warning-newbie-1st-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.