• Latest reply 7 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

A friend of mine picked up a DOA SpeakEasy for $250. Game is cosmetically in very nice shape, but it doesn't power on. He bought it from a guy that was "trying" to fix it. With the machine there were 3 MPU boards.

He dropped the machine off with everything. A few weeks ago. 2 of the three. Mapau's were severely corroded. The third didn't look to bad. I cut the NiCd battery off immediately. The board didn't boot, so I looked it over and found a couple minor pin issues. I end up replacing on of the connector pins and the board powered up. It had a set of Black Beauty chips in it.

I ordered replacement ROM's for the game and installed them today. The board shows power but no longer cool,eyes the boot cycle.

My questions are:
#1). Will this stern board work with Speak Easy?
#2). If yes, there are seven sockets for chips and the game on,y appears to,need two. Is that correct, or does it need some other chips?

The light just comes on solid red and does no blinking now.

Thoughts?

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#2 7 years ago

Bump.

#3 7 years ago

Check the jumper settings. It is likely that the chips you replaced were original and the replacement chips are newer versions. Info here - http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Stern_MPU-200_Jumper_Info

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

A friend of mine picked up a DOA SpeakEasy for $250. Game is cosmetically in very nice shape, but it doesn't power on. He bought it from a guy that was "trying" to fix it. With the machine there were 3 MPU boards.
He dropped the machine off with everything. A few weeks ago. 2 of the three. Mapau's were severely corroded. The third didn't look to bad. I cut the NiCd battery off immediately. The board didn't boot, so I looked it over and found a couple minor pin issues. I end up replacing on of the connector pins and the board powered up. It had a set of Black Beauty chips in it.
I ordered replacement ROM's for the game and installed them today. The board shows power but no longer cool,eyes the boot cycle.
My questions are:
#1). Will this stern board work with Speak Easy?
#2). If yes, there are seven sockets for chips and the game on,y appears to,need two. Is that correct, or does it need some other chips?
The light just comes on solid red and does no blinking now.
Thoughts?

That is a stern MPU200, yes it will work in a bally speak easy, but you may need to change some things. Besides the ROM jumper settings being checked like mentioned in the previous post. You will need to remove one ram chip at U13 if installed (or both and install one NVRAM @ U8 preferebly, but get the game working first). Check that clock speed is set to 0.6MHz (Jumpers 31-32 & 33-33 OUT).

#5 7 years ago

Thanks! Will make the changes tomorrow and see if that gets it alive.

2 months later
#6 7 years ago

Ok. I have given up on the MPU 200 board. Any recommendation on who I could ship it to to get it up and running?

#7 7 years ago

Send a P.M. to barakandl . He does great work.

#8 7 years ago

Thx. Just looked up under talent on the forum and saw his name. Didn't know we had a talent section.

#9 7 years ago

I have sent him. Ultiple PM's, not response. He is local and would be an awesome connection if he responds.

#10 7 years ago

Hi Pinside.

I have gotten myself in over my head. I have 86 unread pinside messages right now. Lately I have been getting a few emails a day about doing board work. With NVRAM sales going really strong, I am trying to get rerpo board operations up and going, have a day job, etc... I just can't keep up. Until things cool down, I am not taking in any new clients.

Sorry! I wish i had more time... maybe i should quit the day job.

Andrew

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 90.00
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-1982-speak-easy-mpu-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.