IMAG0442.jpg
IMAG0441.jpg
IMAG0440.jpg
IMAG0437.jpg
IMAG0435.jpg
IMAG0432.jpg
IMAG0431.jpg
IMAG0430.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mickey0902.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

I was playing the pinball machine yesterday and the pinball shut completely off during play. I checked the fuses and one was blown. I replaced it with a new fuse and every time I hit the power on button, the fuse blows again. The fuse is a 250V fuse (AGC 3A).

Does anyone have an idea on what could be causing this?

Let me know. Thanks.

#4 12 years ago

Okay thanks SealClubber. I will take a look at the boards on those sites. Hellodeadcity, I will take some pics of the boards tomorrow and post them. Thanks for the help.

#8 12 years ago

Please see the pictures attached. I took a close up of the board where the fuse keeps blowing.

IMAG0430.jpgIMAG0430.jpg IMAG0431.jpgIMAG0431.jpg IMAG0432.jpgIMAG0432.jpg

#10 12 years ago

Hey, below is a pic of the red varister. It didn't look discolored. Would it be on the actual wires or the red portion be burnt?

IMAG0435.jpgIMAG0435.jpg

#13 12 years ago

The game doesn't even come on. As soon as I hit the button on the bottom of the game, the fuse blows. I'm not sure how I can check the board if I can't get power? Let me know what you think.

#16 12 years ago

There is a slight tear in the cord but it's been like that since I've had the game. Not sure if this could be causing it. I did wrap it in electrical tape but it still is blowing the fuse.

IMAG0437.jpgIMAG0437.jpg

#17 12 years ago

It's hard to see in this picture but there is a green wire that I found not connected to anything on the inside of the door. It appears to be going to the start button on the outside of the door.

IMAG0440.jpgIMAG0440.jpg

#18 12 years ago

These are the harnesses that connect to the transformer. They appear slightly burnt on the plastic area. I did notice this awhile back but the game was still functioning. Also, I do recall that during the play before, some lights on the game would go on and off during the play. I would open the cabinet and jiggle this harness and it would fix the problem. What do you think?

IMAG0441.jpgIMAG0441.jpg

#19 12 years ago

This is a closer picture of the transformer. It has slight burn marks in the area where the harness connects.

IMAG0442.jpgIMAG0442.jpg

#20 12 years ago

Lastly, I unplugged all the harnesses from the bottom cabinet to the top cabinet and replugged. I then connected an extension cord and plugged into a different outlet. Right when I plugged it in, a new fuse blew again.

#25 12 years ago

I just went and bought 4 of the slow blow 3A fuses. The same thing happened but the lights came on for a second and the game made a buzzing noise like it was going to kick on. Tried 2 of these fuses and they both blew.

1 week later
#28 12 years ago

I removed the transformer partially so you can see the back of the board. Will I be able to tell if the board is bad by the looks?

IMAG0448.jpgIMAG0448.jpg

#30 12 years ago

The first picture shows some black on the heat sink behind the board. Most of it could be wiped off by hand. The second picture shows after removing some of the black.

IMAG0450.jpgIMAG0450.jpg IMAG0451.jpgIMAG0451.jpg

#32 12 years ago

Thanks for input. I have not tested with just the one fuse yet. I'm out of town for a few days and will try when I get back and post the updates.

1 week later
#33 12 years ago

Well I had a tech come by and work on the machine. A lot of money later, it's back up and running. He had to solder some areas on the transformer as well as replace a couple things. Put all new bumpers on the game field and cleaned it as well.

He basically re-soldered all the score displays as they were cracking and caused the displays to flicker. He also re-soldered all the boards in the back board.

Get this, even the wrong size ball was given to me when I bought the game!

I guess I really need to understand what I'm looking for before I buy something like this again.

#36 12 years ago

Thanks. The only thing now is the lights for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th player along with the bottom row lights for instance the "Game Over" don't turn on. They turned on before the game stopped working. I called the tech back and he said he can come by when he is in the area. He lives about an hour away so he can't just drop in.

Do you guys know if this can be an easy fix? Maybe a wire or something?

The center lights are working on the backboard but these specific ones don't. I took the bulbs out of each one and placed in one of the middle sockets and the bulbs work. Is the easiest way to determine the color of the wire and follow it back to where it plugs into the board?

Also, the tech said I will need to eventually replace the top left board because of some corrosion. If one of the chips is moved/turned slightly the game shuts off. He said this will eventually get worse.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for the help.

I've attached a picture so you can see the displays at the bottom along with the player numbers.

IMAG0472.jpgIMAG0472.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 69.00
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 179.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mickey0902.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-1978-power-play-pinball-keeps-blowing-fuse?tu=mickey0902 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.