IMG_1980 (resized).JPG
IMG_1981 (resized).JPG
IMG_1982 (resized).JPG
DB3E0098-708C-453F-8046-24669D541B64 (resized).jpeg
31EFD579-FA47-4F83-AB35-4D0948658291 (resized).jpeg
s-l1600 crop (resized).jpg
20190603_004450 (resized).jpg
20190704_191523 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nicovolta.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 5 years ago

Congrats & glad to be your source of inspiration.

I picked mine up from a Pinsider shortly after volunteering for Arcade Expo 2.0 and getting their Skyrocket running again. Aha! I need this one!

It wasn't for sale and was 1000 miles away but I figured why not reach out and see if he was tired of it? Turns out he was. $1100 plus shipping and it was mine. Then another $600 for clear coat and maybe $125 in various parts including fully replacing all of the lamp sockets (in the head too... woo... those Ballys...).

Totally worth it. Rare, fun, pretty, and has an interesting history. Also multiplayer fun in a single-player form factor. Never sell it!

#22 5 years ago

My Skyrocket has also converted a few "never-clear-the-playfield" EM diehards over to the dark side of the urethane...

2 months later
#83 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

I would be remiss to not post Skyrocket progress on the 4th of July.
The playfield switches and standup targets are dirty, bent and even showing slight surface rust.
[quoted image][quoted image]
The solution is to desolder from the playfield, dis-assemble, give the metal blades a quick scrub with Krud Kutter on 0000 steel wool and then a 24 hour tumble in walnut shells with a squirt of Flitz.
[quoted image]
The results are amazing. I finished by giving the target faces a buff with Novus 2.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Damn... that is nice. Someday I hope to have the time to do a true jewel box restoration like this.

Restorations are subjective as hell. Finding a pristine original and giving it a little elbow polish versus transforming a dusty rust box with a shot backglass and worn playfield into a beauty is a whole different universe of involvement, time, and skill.

2 weeks later
#93 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

Congrats Bryan.
If anyone else wants to play along at home, here is your chance. I predict this one will land between $ 1,500 and $ 2,000.
ebay.com link » Sky Rocket Pinball Machine 1970 Bally

Whoa. That should clean up nice. Technically the one on the museum floor right now is mine (and will eventually be replaced with something else)... so... hmmmm.

#98 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

Huh? Wait. What ?? You are looking to sell your gold standard and are wanting to restore another one ?

Haha nope not selling mine. Was thinking I'd buy another for the museum because Skyrocket will eventually be relocated to my pinball B&B.

But nah. No need for two Skyrockets in this town. Better for visitors to have different games to play between the museum and my place.

Skyrocket is a constant favorite at the museum. Pretty neat that it was designed by Harry Williams. Doesn't play like a Zale. It's different, but in a good way. Also the 2-player in a 1-player cab design is cool. Has great rules for head-to-head play with the extra ball possibility at the bottom. And, of course, THE BEST light show in all of EM pinball.

Skyrocket is in my all-time top 5 EM's, no contest. I'd take it over any wedgehead. Yes, even 2001... if only just.

#100 4 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

I share your assessment of Skyrocket, Nic. I think that Skyrocket is among the top five EM titles and the best of the Bally EM era (multiplayer category and perhaps including single player games as well).
I'm not too keen on comparing wedgeheads to nonwedgeheads, nor woodrails to metal-rail games, though.
Thus, I rank my favorite wedgeheads separately, e.g. Strange World, Blue Note, King of Diamonds, 2001, Bank-A-Ball, Atlantis et al. Even among the wedgeheads, I am tempted to create separate categories distinguishing 2 inch flipper games from 3 inch flipper games.
I suppose that I want to understand and rate games based upon the designer, with a forgiving eye toward the technological status quo and the limits/expectations imposed by the designer's employer.
Back to Skyrocket: I love hitting the open gate target and the pedestrian sound upon a successful shot. It's Pavlovian.

Yes! The CLACK. Sort of like the safety clicking off...

#103 4 years ago

Whoo boy. Over $2600! Somehow I feel partly responsible for this.

All right... was it anyone here? Fess up!

#112 4 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

I think that I can recall the exact moment that Nic fell in love with SkyRocket at the Banning Expo show (I think it was 2.0)
It was also the first time that I met Nic, and immediately I knew he was a great guy.

Aw... thanks Tom! Your reputation preceded you & was cool to meet in person at the show. And your memory is spot-on... when I spent three days volunteering at Arcade Expo 2.0, two of them were rebuilding Skyrocket steppers and stuff. I just HAD to see that "fireball motor" in action.

Once I got a few games in, I was like, yeah... I need this. Not just a novelty. A beautiful game which actually got game! Extra bonus for multiplayer fun too. So I stalked one from another Pinsider the following month and had it shipped from... hmmm... somewhere near Seattle maybe?

I think I paid $1100 for it plus shipping. Which was a lot "back then" (LOL funny how fast EM's have appreciated in only a few years!) but hey, when I find a fun rare game, I grab it.

On that note, I'll have to snag a Majorettes someday...

#113 4 years ago
Quoted from ckcsm:

I've attached a photo of the guy who got me hooked on this game This was at the York Show last year.
I did bid on the Ebay auction but nowhere near the final bid. I think the auction hype definitely drives up the sale prices.[quoted image]

Heh great action shot Mr. C. I can't help but think whoever bought it from eBay HAD to be someone who played it at York. I was asked a couple times if it was for sale... hmmmmm.

Old Chicago is bad ass, but the high production count means they are still plentiful enough to find. Others are rare for maybe art reasons (Sheba, Canada Dry) or simply low production (The Red Max, Double-Up)... but every once in a while a rare, fun, awesome one sneaks through and those are the ones you gotta grab while you can.

Surf Side is also a MUST. Gottlieb's best 60's multiplayer. A total screaming riot to play with experienced players.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nicovolta.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-1971-skyrocket-restoration?tu=nicovolta and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.