You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9A34D5AD-FA51-4EFF-B059-799DAD7BA8C8.jpeg
maxresdefault (1) (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

I have a BAlly 1969 On_Beam. When plugged in and hitting the flipper switch it lights up with general illumination but It does not respond to putting a coin in. I cannot get any credits on it. Where do I start to identify the issues?

#2 5 years ago

On Beam is one I've had and it was dead when I got it. Download the schematic and let's get to fixing it!

https://www.ipdb.org/files/1715/Bally_1969_On_Beam_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf

This thread is full of a lot of good on beam fun

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/to-me-or-not-to-me/page/5#post-913744

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from MarkAnderson:

I cannot get any credits on it. Where do I start to identify the issues?

Do the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Coin Chute relays activate when you put in a coin?

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#4 5 years ago

I would love an OnBeam to go with my Rocket III.

I'd try putting some replays on the replay unit by manually turning the wheel and see if the replay/credit button starts a game.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

[quoted image]

Looking at that schematic, there are three switches that should be adjusted normally closed. If any of those switches are open, none of the coin mechs will work.

Front door anti cheat. Front door kick. Coin bounce.
I'm not 100% sure where those switches are but I would bet they are near or on the coin door

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

[quoted image]

Sorry it took so long. A relative walked off with the keys so I drilled the lock. I had to look at an IPDB photo to see the original coin chute configuration. It looks like it was intended to have a dime chute on the left and in the center a nickel chute and on the right a quarter chute. The dime chute has been surgically removed and covered with a metal plate. The nickel either never existed or was altered so well and so long ago that it looks like it never existed. I do wonder if the nickel wires were part of the set of two twisted wires hanging on the inside of the coin door. The quarter coin chute triggers nothing both from a coin drop or manual activation. There are two sets of twisted wires remaining from the surgery in the place where the coin chute must have originally existed. When I press the two sets of wires together the Scoring motor advances but no credits are added. When I look at the credit reel it appears that it is actually set below the 0 ie if a full credit was actually able to be advanced and the reel moved a full notch it would be half way between the 0 and the 1.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

On Beam is one I've had and it was dead when I got it. Download the schematic and let's get to fixing it!
https://www.ipdb.org/files/1715/Bally_1969_On_Beam_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf

What should I do next?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

I'd try putting some replays on the replay unit by manually turning the wheel and see if the replay/credit button starts a game.

I think that I have to drill the lock on the backbox also so I will go do it now and get back to you with the results of manually advancing the credit reel.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

I read the post about your On-Beam. It looks amazingly new.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from MarkAnderson:

I think that I have to drill the lock on the backbox

Oh that problem. Sometimes the key is hanging on the hook just inside the coin door, or it might have fallen off in transit and be knocking about inside the cab. Doesn't that machine have the lift up motorboard - could be under that too. I'd check everywhere inside before drilling shame to ruin original locks if you have them.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

I tried to manually advance the credit reel in the backbox and discovered that it was loose and only being held by one screw. When I removed it and attempted to advance it by hand or pressing the correct solenoid it looks like someone possibly disassembled it and then put it back together incorrectly and just put it back in the back box. Logic would tell me that one lever on the gears will depress one of the leaf springs inside the reel when it is at zero games and the other lever would hit the leaf spring assembly when the game is at the maximum number of games lets say that it is 23. Currently it seems like it can go from blank to blank and never have a number displayed in the credit window. I dont know if the solenoids can fire. At the moment it is either assembled incorrectly or the mechanical assembly is not physically able to advance or remove credits from the reel. The sprocket is very worn also. It looks like it is made from some type of plastic. I have repaired Gottlieb types of displays similar to this buy just cleaning the contacts but I don t know if that is the issue in this situation. I will look more in a couple hours to see if I can understand what happened.

My issue is very similar to this video of someone who owns a 1976 Bally Captain Fantastic. Maybe the previous owner did not mess with it?

#12 5 years ago

You are right that the credit mech will hit a switch and open it at “0” and hit a different switch or set of switches at max. The max can sometimes be adjusted to different numbers by moving the post that hits the “max” switch

These are mechanical things and with a little time and study, you can probably figure out how it works and take it apart and clean and rebuild it.

Check out pinwiki for a lot of info you may use

Go to the stepper unit section on this page and scroll down to the Bally credit unit section to see pics of working units.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair#Stepper_Units

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

Oh that problem. Sometimes the key is hanging on the hook just inside the coin door, or it might have fallen off in transit and be knocking about inside the cab. Doesn't that machine have the lift up motorboard - could be under that too. I'd check everywhere inside before drilling shame to ruin original locks if you have them.

All good points. You definitely think the same way that I think. The old locks that are make by some of those Chicago companies are so much more impressive than the penny ones that you get from China these days that are all keyed to the same locks and made out of what seems like potmetal. I looked everywhere for the coin door lock before I drilled it but I never found it. I am sure that I will never see it again. It turned out that the backbox had a lock on it that I had already replaced with one of those cheap chinese locks so it opened right away. The chinese locks as I said seem to be keyed to all the same keys so it was easy to open the machine with another machines key.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

You are right that the credit mech will hit a switch and open it at “0” and hit a different switch or set of switches at max. The max can sometimes be adjusted to different numbers by moving the post that hits the “max” switch
These are mechanical things and with a little time and study, you can probably figure out how it works and take it apart and clean and rebuild it.
Check out pinwiki for a lot of info you may use
Go to the stepper unit section on this page and scroll down to the Bally credit unit section to see pics of working units.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair#Stepper_Units

Good points, I will look at the information that you sent me and the unit as soon as I have a second.

#15 5 years ago

Looking at that schematic, there are three switches that should be adjusted normally closed. If any of those switches are open, none of the coin mechs will work.

I'm not 100% sure where those switches are but I would bet they are near or on the coin door</blockquote
I looked at the credit reel and it is missing a spring. I actually cannot think where I would go for a new one of those. The solenoids dont look or act very healthy either but before I start replacing all the parts in the machine I should find a replacement spring. Its the spring that is wrapped around the advancing sprocket. I have attached a photo of a 1976 credit unit and it is the spring that is on the reel right in front of the green bally solenoid.

As far as the front door anti cheat. Front door kick. Coin bounce. The anti cheat front door kick must have been removed there is only one assembly for a coin drop. There are two sets of wires that are soldered together next to the coin drop assembly and its wires. I am thinking that maybe the wires from the other two coin mechanisms were wired and soldered together for some type of continuity?

maxresdefault (1) (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (1) (resized).jpg
#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

I'm not 100% sure where those switches are but I would bet they are near or on the coin door

I may be misreading your statements but aren't the front door anti cheat and the front door kick the same switch? I guess my question is mute because I don't see the front door kick unless it is somewhere in the machine not in the same place that gottlieb usually uses for them. Is coin bounce a switch? If I am looking at the schematic aren't the three switches going to be the anti kick, the credits greater than zero and the game over relay ? I have a Bally Freedom and it seems like that schematic is very similar to this and those were the switches that were the three causing a similar startup issue.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

What is coin bounce? Front kick is on the coin door anticheat?

#18 5 years ago

I bought a replacement spring from Marco. I will install it as soon as it arrives and see what it fixes.

#19 5 years ago

Hope I didn’t confuse things. I looked at the schematic I found on ipdb. This is what I saw.

9A34D5AD-FA51-4EFF-B059-799DAD7BA8C8.jpeg9A34D5AD-FA51-4EFF-B059-799DAD7BA8C8.jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-1969-on-beam and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.