Dear Lloyd

Our resident pinball guru Lloyd Olsen answers Pinside readers questions!

Edit this
Balls Won't Go Up

Letter received on Wednesday August 28th 2013.

Wednesday August 28th 2013

My Judge Dredd magnet arm works but won't pick up the pinballs when its supposed too. The connections look solid but the magnet wont go on. Where can I look for guidance to fix this lazy arm.

Thanks

Royce

That's terrible. I hate when that happens. Magnet won't pick up your balls. Hopefully you have steel balls. Otherwise no magnet in the world could grab them.

Anyway the magnet is connected to the wires, the wires connected to the connector. The connectors connected to the board. Etc. Etc.

See the pattern there ? Electricity flows along the wire to the magnet and back through the wire and turns the magnet on.

So a break would cause the electricity to get to the magnet to make it work.

Most likely you have a wire broken inside a harness or wire casing you can't see. A little continuity checking of each wire should narrow down which wire and where.

Easy fix and you'll be grabbing your balls in no time.

LTG : )

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/balls-wont-go-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.