PinbitsPremiumChro_50X.jpg
PBL_PremiumUlt_100X_100PL.jpg
Silverjet_100X_100PL.jpg
PinbitsPremiumChro_100X_100PL.jpg
PLB_PremiumUlt_100X.jpg
Silverjet_100X.jpg
PinbitsPremiumChro_100X.jpg
#1 10 years ago

In a recent post, I compared some different types of pinballs using a Proscope HR microscope. It showed interesting differences and generated quite a few responses. A pinsider supplied me with some brand new premium brand balls for comparison testing. I've made a new post here, with the photographic results below. The test was performed using my Williams Funhouse machine in average condition. Each ball was marked with a small scribe to identify it. The Funhouse machine is a 3 ball game and was set to 3 balls per game. It was played 100 times and average game time was 4 minutes each. Photographs and photomicrographs were taken at 50X and 100X magnification before and after use.

Tested were the Pinbits Premium Chromium carbon steel balls (hardened), Marco Silverjet Premium carbon steel balls (hardened), and Pinball Life Premium Ultra-Gloss (carbon core). Note that of the three, only the Pinball Life Premium balls are listed as suitable for magnetic games such as TOM, TOTAN, TZ, etc. This suitability was not tested. Also note that no other specifications such as roundness or weight were tested.

My observations were as follows: As brand new balls, the Pinbits seemed the most glossy and smooth, truly like mirror. The Marco were nearly as glossy as the Pinbits, but priced a little higher at time of writing. The Pinball Life balls were fairly glossy and priced very competitive, but under a microscope one can see small uneven textures where dirt "might" get trapped. However, after 100 plays, all the balls had about the same number and depth of scratches from a micro view. From a macro view, they all became very similar in appearance. It would be hard to tell which is which, if not for the scribe marks I had made from the start. If I had to pick the smoothest balls, Pinbit's or Marco's had a slight advantage over the Pinball Life premium. But once they all had been used for a while, that advantage dissipated and meanwhile Pinball Life's ball construction reportedly has the important resistance to magnetism that is important for so many different games.

I'd like to thank everyone for their interest and input in this small study.

100_games.JPG100_games.JPG PinbitMarcoPBL_New.JPGPinbitMarcoPBL_New.JPG PinbitMarcoPBL_100PL.JPGPinbitMarcoPBL_100PL.JPG

#2 10 years ago

Here are the 100X pictures...

PinbitsPremiumChro_100X.jpgPinbitsPremiumChro_100X.jpg Silverjet_100X.jpgSilverjet_100X.jpg PLB_PremiumUlt_100X.jpgPLB_PremiumUlt_100X.jpg PinbitsPremiumChro_100X_100PL.jpgPinbitsPremiumChro_100X_100PL.jpg Silverjet_100X_100PL.jpgSilverjet_100X_100PL.jpg PBL_PremiumUlt_100X_100PL.jpgPBL_PremiumUlt_100X_100PL.jpg

#3 10 years ago

Here are the 50X pictures...

PinbitsPremiumChro_50X.jpgPinbitsPremiumChro_50X.jpg Silverjet_50X.jpgSilverjet_50X.jpg PBL_PremiumUlt_50X.jpgPBL_PremiumUlt_50X.jpg PinbitsPremiumChro_50X_100PL.jpgPinbitsPremiumChro_50X_100PL.jpg Silverjet_50X_100PL.jpgSilverjet_50X_100PL.jpg PBL_PremiumUlt_50X_100PL.jpgPBL_PremiumUlt_50X_100PL.jpg

#4 10 years ago

Great stuff Calico. Thanks for sharing.

#6 10 years ago

Nice work, I've had good luck with pbl balls. Is there another high gloss option for magnet games?

#7 10 years ago

Thanks for posting this. I will definitely give the Pinbits balls a try the next time I purchase balls for my non-magnet games.

#8 10 years ago

Join us next week for electron microscope pictures.

Very interesting comparison.

#9 10 years ago

Very interesting, thanks for doing this. So in the end, it doesn't seem to matter which type you buy if you plan on using them for a while.

#10 10 years ago

Nice

#11 10 years ago

this is great. i was looking to purchase 100 new balls to replace all of them in my machines (even the newton balls).

since they all look about the same after being played, i think i will stick with the Pinball Life ones since i can stop over there and pick them up. (save on the shipping costs)

how often does one generally change the balls (or do you just toss them in the tumbler?)

#12 10 years ago

In a previous post, Calico had mentioned that the finish on the PBL pinballs seemed to vary quite a bit. I presume he used one of the better ones for this test.

#13 10 years ago

Last week I put four new Marco Silverjet Premium balls in my Metallica Pro. I had to replace them with the Stern originals. Ball search kicks in. Magnetic problem.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

Tested were the Pinbits Premium Chromium carbon steel balls (hardened), Marco Silverjet Premium carbon steel balls (hardened), and Pinball Life Premium Ultra-Gloss (carbon core). Note that of the three, only the Pinball Life Premium balls are listed as suitable for magnetic games such as TOM, TOTAN, TZ, etc.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

In a previous post, Calico had mentioned that the finish on the PBL pinballs seemed to vary quite a bit. I presume he used one of the better ones for this test.

All three sample balls were new stock sent from the supplier to me. One would assume this is the current state of quality but variation is always possible.

#16 10 years ago

What about using standard steel ball bearings from someplace like McMaster Carr?
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9528k41/=o1w0ze
I wonder how they would compare?

#17 10 years ago

Great work Calico thanks for posting this! Pretty important to remember that Chromium Steel Pinball should not be used in pins with magnets as they become permanently magnetized faster than the non chromium balls. I know you mentioned that but just wanted to re emphasize it.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from steve1515:

I wonder how they would compare?

I'd imagine they magnetize over time as well, for games with magnets. They're alloy steel balls, hence ferrous. Probably ok to use in games without magnets, though. They did say they have a highly reflective finish, too.

#19 10 years ago

On the subject of magnetized balls and parts, I assume someone owning a lot of pins might end up with a lot of magnetized balls over time. In addition, some game parts can get magnetized. Has anyone tried using an electric demagnetizer on these items to quickly restore them? I've got one that wipes out anything magnetic in seconds. I'd love to try it on a magentzied pinball if anyone has a good sample.

#20 10 years ago

Thank you very much for taking the time to test this, take photos, post, etc. Very informative. -J

#21 10 years ago

Nice Job, to confirm and solve the "ball debate"!

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

I've got one that wipes out anything magnetic in seconds. I'd love to try it on a magentzied pinball if anyone has a good sample.

Because the ball is a sphere, how would one know what direction to put it in the demagnetizer?

Put it in wrong and you could make the magnetism stronger...

4 weeks later
#23 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Remind me not to put my balls in the demagnetizer!

#24 10 years ago

I don't think even my urologist studies balls this much.

Great work though. Very interesting pics.

Mike

#25 10 years ago

Agreed! I missed this when originally posted. Wish I had seen it earlier.

Thanks for a great post.

#26 10 years ago

Very cool thanks for posting

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Because the ball is a sphere, how would one know what direction to put it in the demagnetizer?

????? errr.... no. Joking, right?

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Join us next week for electron microscope pictures.
Very interesting comparison.

I was actually thinking about doing this but the stage on my tool is small so I would have to cut one to get it to fit. I could also analyze the composition using Auger spectroscopy to see if they are similar makeup.

1 week later
#29 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Demagnetizers work by creating a strong alternating magnetic field so the ball would be magnetized one way (it doesn't matter which way), wiping out whatever magnetism and polarity it initially had, then magnetized the opposite way - 60 (or 50) times a second (they just use 60Hz or 50Hz line power). Then the field is gradually diminished, either by decreasing the current going into the demagnetizer (some demagnetizers do this) or by increasing the distance between the demagnetizer and the ball (i.e. walking away from the demag holding the ball or vice-versa).

So the initial polarity and magnitude of the magnetism doesn't matter - it gets overwhelmed by the demagnetizer's AC magnet field which then slowly decreases to 0 leaving the ball unmagnentized...

This is how old CRT screens got demagnetized (using a "degausser"), how tape heads and tape deck metal gets demagnetized, etc.

Post edited by yonkiman : removed <i> </i> tags since they didn't seem to work..

#30 10 years ago

Tha

Quoted from yonkiman:Demagnetizers work by creating a strong alternating magnetic field so the ball would be magnetized one way (it doesn't matter which way), wiping out whatever magnetism and polarity it initially had, then magnetized the opposite way - 60 (or 50) times a second (they just use 60Hz or 50Hz line power). Then the field is gradually diminished, either by decreasing the current going into the demagnetizer (some demagnetizers do this) or by increasing the distance between the demagnetizer and the ball (i.e. walking away from the demag holding the ball or vice-versa).
So the initial polarity and magnitude of the magnetism doesn't matter - it gets overwhelmed by the demagnetizer's AC magnet field which then slowly decreases to 0 leaving the ball unmagnentized...
This is how old CRT screens got demagnetized (using a "degausser"), how tape heads and tape deck metal gets demagnetized, etc.
Post edited by yonkiman : removed <i> </i> tags since they didn't seem to work..

That's how I understood it to work too. So if anyone wants me to verify it, send me a magnetic ball. But probably most people don't own these little devices and it would just be cheaper to buy new balls from time to time. I have one from the old floppy disc days. Still use it to wipe old hard drives too.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

I have one from the old floppy disc days. Still use it to wipe old hard drives too.

I used to use one of those to demagnetize (and thus wipe) reel to reel tape when I was a student at UC Santa Cruz. They probably dumped all that stuff, they were transitioning from analog to pure digital while I was there. Glad I got in at the tail end and got to experience both!

#32 10 years ago

Great study. Loaded Pinbits chromium balls in all my non-magnet pins.

#33 10 years ago

I have a demagnetizer from the old 2" 24 track days (they used to call it a hummer) and although it can erase tape, it can't for some reason, demagnetize a screwdriver.

#34 10 years ago

My magnetized screwdriver seems to be less magnetized now... Any way to recharge the magnetism?

#35 10 years ago

So what do we think this means in terms of how OFTEN we should replace balls in our machines?

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

My magnetized screwdriver seems to be less magnetized now... Any way to recharge the magnetism?

You can draw the blade of the screwdriver on the magnet of the speaker several time (one way) and it will magnetize it.

#37 10 years ago

Very interesting, thanks for posting this.

It would be very interesting as a follow up if you could polish the used balls in a tumbler to compare how they turn out and also how they fare after another 100 games.

I recently polished a set of fairly nasty used balls, including one with rust spots and "faceting" / out of round. The results were very impressive, the none faceted balls came out gleaming with a mirror finish. Unfortunately, the faceted balls were still out of round (and not usable), but much shinier!

In most cases, polishing balls after several hundred plays restores them to perfection, but it would be interesting to see them under your microscope.

I use a Berry type ammunition tumbler with walnut media and Novus 3, tumble for 2-3 days.

( I also polish new balls get give them a mirror finish before using them, saves money by not buying the mirrored finish balls )

1st pic: Used ball
2nd pic: Polished used ball

3rd pic: Faceted dirty rusty ball
4th pic: Polished still faceted ball

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from maf-mi:

You can draw the blade of the screwdriver on the magnet of the speaker several time (one way) and it will magnetize it.

Thank you.

1 week later
#39 10 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I use a Berry type ammunition tumbler with walnut media and Novus 3, tumble for 2-3 days.

2-3 days? Wow! That may explain why my results were not as good. I thought a few hours would be ok. Maybe I'll try again...

#40 10 years ago

yup, just goes to show. Piss money way on expensive balls, and if you play them, they will end up just like the cheap ones within a couple of games.

1 week later
#41 10 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Very interesting, thanks for posting this.
It would be very interesting as a follow up if you could polish the used balls in a tumbler to compare how they turn out and also how they fare after another 100 games.
I recently polished a set of fairly nasty used balls, including one with rust spots and "faceting" / out of round. The results were very impressive, the none faceted balls came out gleaming with a mirror finish. Unfortunately, the faceted balls were still out of round (and not usable), but much shinier!
In most cases, polishing balls after several hundred plays restores them to perfection, but it would be interesting to see them under your microscope.
( I also polish new balls get give them a mirror finish before using them, saves money by not buying the mirrored finish balls )
1st pic: Used ball
2nd pic: Polished used ball
3rd pic: Faceted dirty rusty ball
4th pic: Polished still faceted ball

image.jpg 231 KB

image.jpg 244 KB

image.jpg 236 KB

image.jpg 256 KB

That settles it, I need to get a tumbler.

2 years later
#42 8 years ago

Thank you for a great review/comparison. I must disagree though that all balls look the same after 100 plays. In absolutely every picture, new through 100 plays and up to 100x magnification I can spot the better ball which seems to be the Pinbits, the Silverjets come in a close second and the PBL are not in the same class. Also the "New" picture looks as if the SJ's might still have the surface coating or dried oil/lubrication on it. Let me point out what I see and see if you can see it too. But first let me ask if the oil/lubricant was cleaned off the balls first? Perhaps Pinbits cleans theirs prior to shipping. I agree that after 100 plays all the balls scratch, but look at what I refer to as the "haze factor", which are the micro-fine scratches, In every picture Pinbits has the least scratches, SilverJets second, PBL a distant 3rd. Also look at the light that is reflected off the balls while all of them have some distortion the PBL's stand out as the most uneven.

I frequently tumble my balls with Blue Magic and inspect them under a lit magnifying glass, chipped or dented balls get thrown away as do balls with excessive "haze factor" after polishing, but honestly I seldom replace balls "just because".

As Fytr mentioned I too would be interested in how they look/perform after tumbling, chromium being harder I would imagine they would need to be tumbled longer or because of the increased hardness perhaps they wouldn't polish out completely. But to my naked eye based on your research I can see the difference very clearly. I would also like to know if there is a weight difference.

Arizona Bruce
AZB

#43 8 years ago
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
$ 29.95
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/balls-premium-comparison and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.