Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by newpinbin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Anyone else having this problem? This occurs, generally, after I have 2 or more balls stacked in the coffin lock. Basically the balls get hung up and simply will not drain on their own. I have to turn off the game, manually hold the stopper down and then shake the machine until the balls roll through and into the subway to the Mystery kickout.

It looks to me like there's 2 things going wrong:
1. There is not enough pitch to give the balls sufficient momentum to move quickly past the stopper. The game looks to be setup with correct pitch, according to the shooter lane bubble level
2. The stopper will drop, but does not stay down long enough to allow balls to pass by. When the game goes into ball search, the stopper will drop but then instantly return to the up position. Same thing when I put the game into diagnostics and do a coil test for the stopper: drop and instant return. No where near enough time to allow the balls to drain

I've had the game opened for a week now, and has already happened several times... usually during a great game and forcing me to abandon a high score :/

Anyone else seeing this?

#2 10 years ago

No one else is experiencing Metallica coffin lock issues?

#3 10 years ago

I had this exact issue. It is almost certainly the result of magnetized balls. Replacements here:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1325

#4 10 years ago

I had that problem multiple times with 1.16. I thought it was because the Silverjet pinballs were magnatized and sticking not allowing to drain quick enough. I changed the balls to Pinball Lifes premium pinballs. (It states they are great for games with "magnets".) I have not had the problem since. Not sure if that was the fix or if it fixed itself. I do know the balls are less magnatized and are not sticking together like they had with the other premium pinball.

#5 10 years ago

Interesting, I am indeed using Silverjets. I just love the packaging

But yeah I'll pick up some from PBL and try that. Thanks!

#6 10 years ago

I'm having the same problem with mine and I'm using Silverjet's also. I was starting worry that I had some problems with the machine.

1 month later
#7 10 years ago

I'm having the same issue. I can not get thru a game without a ball getting hung up. I've been fighting this issue for months. New board, new balls, and have adjusted everything to no avail.

#8 10 years ago

I had this problem when I moved the pin into another room. Adjusted the rear legs & that sorted it
The way the release pin is off centre the pin has to be correctly leveled
Hope this helps

#9 10 years ago

I've heard the coffin post activate during a game and there's no balls in there and the flashers light up to?? Anyone else had this happen? When a ball does get in there it works fine??

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Bo:

I'm having the same issue. I can not get thru a game without a ball getting hung up. I've been fighting this issue for months. New board, new balls, and have adjusted everything to no avail.

Have you tried the balls I referenced in post #3? The magnets in this game were causing my pinballs to magnetize in certain spots. The balls would sometimes pass through, but other times they would stick together just enough to keep the ball from getting past the "gate". The ball has to roll without any issues to beat the gate.

Edit - oops, didn't see the ball hanging out in that weird location, interesting!

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Bo:

This pic has happened on my pin, I turned off pin & it kicked all the balls out
This has to be a software thing as 3 balls are locked it tries to put a 4th down the hole & wont fit, The pin must know 3 balls are locked?

#12 10 years ago

That picture happened to me one time. It was in magnet hammer test mode though, not a game. Pinched my finger trying to free the ball.

3 years later
#13 7 years ago

Just got back from expo with 2 packs of silverjets and started seeing this behavior. Who woulda thunkit! Just ordered some standard pinballs from Marco.

3 months later
#14 7 years ago

I have this issue and have tried the balls from pinballlife that were suggested. Didn't make a difference. I have also increased the angle of the table and made sure it is level. Anyone else have this issue and resolve it somehow other than new balls or increasing angle? Thanks.

2 weeks later
#15 7 years ago

I had this issue pretty much right out of the box a week ago. Balls were magnetizing so when they were in the coffin they would stick together and not drop past the stopper. Changing angle of playfield did not help. Very frustrating when you buy NIB and it doesn't work. Doesn't give a new Stern customer a lot of confidence. Sorry to hear the new balls didn't resolve it. I got Pinball Life premium balls yesterday and the issue stopped.

#16 7 years ago

I'm having this exact issue right now.

Just got the balls out. Put brand new balls in.....played a game, loaded all the balls back in the coffin. Same f'n issue.

#17 7 years ago

Trust me, I understand, I was beyond mad that the main feature on my premium didn't work. Did you try the Pinball Life balls or another brand? Stern sent me new balls and they did the same crap.

5 months later
#18 6 years ago

My coffin had always been fine beside the occasional hang up between the magnet and playfield. very rare since i properly leveled the machine. Then bought some shiny new silverjet balls. These balls straight out of the pack brought with them the problem of getting hung up in the coffin. If their is more then 1 ball in the coffin they stick together. With some violent shaking Im able to get them through but really not worth having. Such a shame though they look so good. And where Im from they cost me $70 for 10 sh#tballs for Metallica

#19 6 years ago

I have had nothing but issues with my NIB Metallica Pre. Coffin ball hang up one of the many.
Check out the below topic, which helped some. Ultimately after many home mods I was never able to fix this issue.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-premium-magnetcoffin-issue

1 week later
#20 6 years ago

I'm having the problem where one ball is stuck in the coffin, where can you buy magnetized pinballs at nowadays?

Edit, my issue is the ball wasn't dropping when the post dropped to let the ball out, I'm thinking this is just a pitch issue, not balls, working on it...

#21 6 years ago

Adjusted the pitch of my game, the ball in the coffin still wont come out when the post drops... Anyone ever run into this problem?

#22 6 years ago

Just a heads up that, as a short term fix, if you're having this problem, there's a software setting to switch over to virtual ball locks.

Obviously not a long term fix, but definitely an option in the short term.

#23 6 years ago

So I think I figured out the coffin on mine, had to loosen a couple nuts that were on a little tight underneath on the ramp, also raised the pitch a bit more, seems to have helped, hopefully that did the trick.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 29.95
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 25.50
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/balls-getting-hung-up-in-metallica-coffin-lock?hl=knoler and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.