Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

goofy (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Anyone know the ball size used for a 1932 Bally Goofy? Want to get a marco order in asap...

marco's ball selection: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/BALL-STEEL?VIEW_SIZE=60&view=card&sortOrder=SortKeywordRelevancy

thanks!

#2 5 years ago

No idea offhand, but congratulations on the game.

#3 5 years ago

thank you! I have wanted a mechanical prewar machine for a long time. Very excited.

#4 5 years ago

If someone knows for sure, I'd like to know too. I was going to just measure the holes and choose a ball about 7/8 of that size.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from SilverballNut:

If someone knows for sure, I'd like to know too. I was going to just measure the holes and choose a ball about 7/8 of that size.

I spoke with user bingopodcast who said he thinks they are 1/2", but wasn't 100% sure. I had to get my order in for Allentown so went with 1/2" balls. http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PB12
I will let you know how that goes in 2 weeks

#6 5 years ago

Is yours missing the balls, or did you just want to have replacements ready?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Is yours missing the balls, or did you just want to have replacements ready?

I want replacements ready. I won't be able to get the measurements from the current owner until tomorrow, but Marco order is due today.

#9 5 years ago

I used to own a goofy, and others. A couple quick ways to better guess, if no one answers.
First would be between 80%-90% off hole diameter to pass through the playfield on reset.
Second, buy the next size up or down, based on what you believe your answer was.

The reason I mention, is that many games back then ended up with different diameter holes.
Ive seen many that vary enough, if you wish to be exact.

Perhaps, you can try a marble, or anything you have around, to better gauge.

Besides, when I had an extra set of Balls, It would promote me to find another game!
(wife has them now)

#10 5 years ago

Confirmed 5/8" balls are currently in it

#11 5 years ago

5/8" sounds correct. I could check tonight, but I see you have already ordered.

1 week later
#12 5 years ago

home sweet home! For cleaning and maintaining the machine, do I just treat it like a regular playfield and clean and wax it as normal? Or does it need more specific care?
Also got my new set of 5/8" balls to put in it, and pieces to rebuild an improvised rebound rubber.

Just think, in just over a decade we'll be celebrating 100 years of Bally and Gottlieb!

goofy (resized).jpggoofy (resized).jpg

#13 5 years ago

The trick on older games is to clean very gently. You can use the same types of cleaning products - I typically start with a product in the States called Gojo hand cleaner. This is sold in a white tub (without pumice). It has the consistency of lotion.

I work in a small inconspicuous spot and see how the underlying paint reacts.

Gojo will moisturize the wood as well as remove the dirt. It works very well.

Everyone has a different technique, though. You can use other cleaning products as well - the trick is really to test before using on the whole thing. Go slowly and not too rough.

Glad 5/8" works for you!

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

The trick on older games is to clean very gently. You can use the same types of cleaning products - I typically start with a product in the States called Gojo hand cleaner. This is sold in a white tub (without pumice). It has the consistency of lotion.
I work in a small inconspicuous spot and see how the underlying paint reacts.
Gojo will moisturize the wood as well as remove the dirt. It works very well.
Everyone has a different technique, though. You can use other cleaning products as well - the trick is really to test before using on the whole thing. Go slowly and not too rough.
Glad 5/8" works for you!

Do you know if they had any sort of topcoat back then? I've been meaning to try cleaning my Fleet and putting some new balls in...

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Do you know if they had any sort of topcoat back then?

I don't know nearly enough to say for sure - some games seem to be lacquered/shellac'd(?) and others not. In some instances, whatever the topcoat was has flaked away (though you still see small evidence of it in some areas). I just go slow and try the least abrasive thing possible to start (and don't rub too hard).

This works for me, but there are specialty collectors on here that will know better/for sure.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

I don't know nearly enough to say for sure - some games seem to be lacquered/shellac'd(?) and others not. In some instances, whatever the topcoat was has flaked away (though you still see small evidence of it in some areas). I just go slow and try the least abrasive thing possible to start (and don't rub too hard).

do you wax them with carnauba to create a top coat?

#17 5 years ago

I always wax my machines, yes. Caranuba or non. "Do the least harm".

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/balls-for-1932-bally-goofy?hl=jmsvero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.