Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Madmax541
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I'm a new member to Pinside and I'm hoping someone has some advice. I acquired a Bally Power Play machine a few years ago and have been enjoying it ever since. I recently decided that it needed some tune-up work as a lot of bulbs were out and some plastic had faded.

Bought a kit from MarcoSpecialties and proceeded to replace all of the rubber and plastic parts as well as the lights. Most of the bulbs were burned out but I had several light 'sections' that still were not working. There was also no measured voltage across the terminals.

Couldn't find any line breaks so I decided to replace the lamp board. This went well but only a couple of the bad lights came on with the new board.

I left the unit in lamp-test mode and examined the circuits a little closer. Moved one cable and one of the circuts energized. I will rework that solder.

The main problem came when searching another circuit. While searching, and the unti still in lamp-test mode, I heard a unfamiliar hum and quickly unplugged the unit. When I plugged it back in, I could no longer get the unit in lamp-test mode, and some of the always on lights that were working before are not working now.

I replaced the new lamp driver board with the old one and no change.

Not sure what I could have done. I can't get the unit in lamp-test mode. The other test modes do work, but the score displays in their test mode are displaying invalid digits. The game does go into play mode ok, and manually hitting various items, it does score ok, but I still have light issues. I have alos checked all of the fuses.

My next idea was to replace the MPU board, but I thought I would see if there is something else I should be looking at.

#2 3 years ago

I recommend you verify all your power supply test points on the SDB, then take a close look at the connectors going to the LDB (Lamp Driver Board). It sounds like your original problem is related to bad connections. If the pins inside the connectors are original, then chances are they have corroded or lost their ability to make reliable contact with the pins on the boards.

The only thing I would do on the MPU for now is verify test point voltages, verify there is no corrosion due to battery leakage, and if no damage, change to NVRAM.

Let us know what you have found, and if possible, post a few pics of the area you're having problems with.

#3 3 years ago

Thanks for the quick response and advice. Can you point me to a reference for the applicable voltages that I should be testing for?

#4 3 years ago

The test points are on the schematics, along with expected voltages. Another good reference is Pinwiki.

#5 3 years ago

Or see Bally Field Order 560 or 560-1.

#6 3 years ago

What lamps were not working? Switched or GI? Playfield or backbox?

Replacing boards and hoping that will fix the problem is a bad way to troubleshoot. Most of the time this is a burned power connector problem and not a board problem.

Show us some pictures of the boards in your game starting with the rectifier board. Please identify which lights are out.

#7 3 years ago

Thanks for all the great info. I will work on getting pics, but my main concern was the fact that the self-test for switched lamps was working fine, until I started poking around one of the lamp circuits that was out. I heard a hum that I hadn't heard before so I unplugged the unit. Plugging it back in, now the lamp test doesn't light anything. The always-on lights do come on however, just none of the switched ones. I did find the repair procedures 560-3 which I'm reviewing for ideas. Thanks for the Pinwiki hint - great resource

#8 3 years ago

Check fuses sounds like you shorted something

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 179.00
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/balley-power-play-tune-up-problem?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.