(Topic ID: 300873)

Ballarama Pinball co.

By Morgoth00

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

77bfd72bbac7d0751c0ef31a2bfc7f26 (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-10-20 at 12.37.50 pm (resized).png
    Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 5.52.21 AM (resized).png
    Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 5.52.31 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 9.33.35 PM (resized).png
    Multi Aspect Arcade Game Device 5 (resized).png
    Multi Aspect Arcade Game Device 4 (resized).png
    Multi Aspect Arcade Game Device 2 (resized).png
    Multi Aspect Arcade Game Device 3 (resized).png
    Multi Aspect Arcade Game Device 1 (resized).png
    Multi-Facted Arcade Game Device 1 (resized).png
    Multi-Faceted Arcade Game Device 2 (resized).png
    Multi-Faceted Arcade Device 3 (resized).png
    Multi-Faceted Arcade Device 4 (resized).png
    Multi-Faceted Arcade Device 5 (resized).png
    286877687_767868364558805_409279996886255793_n (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TreyBo69.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 2 years ago

I listened to the podcast and just heard red flags everywhere

https://poormanspinballpodcast.libsyn.com/episode-105-ian-and-barbra-join-drew

Why do people want to jump into incredibly complex manufacturing before finishing one personal homebrew game?

This isn't exactly Charlie putting his life savings into Spooky and not charging people till games were being prepped for delivery.

1 week later
    #48 2 years ago

Basically half way there

FF753819-7EC4-4AB1-9D46-32B4A806A0BD.gifFF753819-7EC4-4AB1-9D46-32B4A806A0BD.gif

#52 2 years ago

She emptied her office due to the whirlwind of hashtags and brain storming taking place.

#54 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

We’re finally getting more activity in this thread. These guys don’t even have a mech or some art to show us!!! Sweet lord help them

They know the magic word is “innovation”

Let your imagination run wild, only to be disappointed when it turns out no one actually wants innovation.

4 weeks later
    #64 2 years ago

If Ballarama is still hanging around, I listened to your new sample of the background music for your space pinball game. I highly suggest you reconsider it...

It sounds like a brooding industrial horror movie soundtrack where rich folk torture the poors to feel alive. It's very slow for a fast paced pinball game and not very outer spacey.

But hey kudos to your social media team member. Over 5,000 likes. Nick should take more notes from her to get the Buffalo page that popular. She must know all the hot click farms for driving up counts. That's like $200 worth of fake people!

#66 2 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

but then the game could be slow and floaty

I just watched this dude pull three pop bumpers out of a Marcos box. Ain't no game

#80 2 years ago

https://www.fbpostlikes.com/

cyber monday sale! 5,000 likes for $56

although more reputable click farms ask for closer to $150-200

#82 2 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

How sad would you have to be to pay for some fake adoration?

Clickfarms are such an interesting industry that popped up in the social media age. You can buy like/followers for all the major social media sites. It's also risking getting your account being shut down if caught buying them...

Of course it does work to some degree. I've heard some comedians joke about buying twitter followers which actually did help get them noticed early in their career.

2 weeks later
    #106 2 years ago

Gotta make sure you have the patents before having a product to sell or a factory to make it because otherwise what’s the point.

#115 2 years ago

Sometimes I wonder if the Pinball Adventures guy is channeling Andy Kaufman, but he at least showed off some crappy homebrew games in someone else’s factory.

1 week later
    #126 2 years ago

You Buffalo guys are boned when the legion of Ballarama fans get their mitts on you

#131 2 years ago

Python Angelo liked to describe pinball as a sort of theatre experience. You set the stage, the music, the lights, and you tell a story with the silverball. Barb's experience as a costume designer and seamstress will no doubt pay dividends! I believe in Barb more than some other team members...

That said, I think the focus should stay on Ian since he is the visionary driving the bus.

chris-farley-bus.gifchris-farley-bus.gif

#140 2 years ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Don't be a toxic hater. Good feeling about these guys

The Ballarama army is strong. 6,096 followers but only 6,020 likes. 76 toxic haters who don't want innovation in pinball

#142 2 years ago
    Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

And 9 likes per Facebook post. Such engagement!

Their posts get a lot more likes here

#166 2 years ago

>By being a part of our Waitlist you will be given deeper insights, the most valuable information and the hard facts of what it is like to go from 0 to building our first pinball game.

Oh I'm super excited for this part

>This game is nothing like you’ve seen before

Because it doesnt exist

>we understand that the pinball landscape is starting to boom and we are just going to add to the mix and make it more diverse and enjoyable.

Nothing says diverse like older white people

>Watch out for our other emails, to ensure you receive all of our communications make sure you whitelist our email address so we don’t end up in the sneaky spam folder! No use for us there!

I promise to cherish every communication and wait on bated breath

>In a few days we will share the history of pinball because to understand where we are about to take the pinball landscape you need to know where it all began.

My body is ready

#169 2 years ago

Doesn't appear they ever shared it with me (even though I'm a VIP!). Thankfully, I was able to track it down myself.
    https://medium.com/@ballarama_pinball/a-brief-history-of-pinball-612fb83e0d21
    You're welcome.

God he really needs someone to spell check stuff...

If he did make a game, you know the inserts would have typos

#177 2 years ago

Gotta get the likes up before the big reveal. They already passed CGC and aren’t far off from Spooky Pinball.

#189 2 years ago

I just want to see him make a single homebrew game. He's so unfamiliar with pinball he could be an outsider artist, the Henry Darger of pinball.

3 weeks later
    #200 2 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

The Ballarama army is strong. 6,096 followers but only 6,020 likes. 76 toxic haters who don't want innovation in pinball

It's been about a month, and while the posts have slowed down some...the followers just hit 7,000 today!

tumblr_249a6c84602831092320cc8fcacebff6_7fcc40e1_500.giftumblr_249a6c84602831092320cc8fcacebff6_7fcc40e1_500.gif
    #203 2 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

DeepRoot 2.0, just a different source of funds.

You mean no funds. This is more Vonnie D

#205 2 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Their next post will be all about pop bumpers. The how and why, you know, the gritty details we've all been wondering about for ages.

The lesson I look forward to

insane_ian_posse (resized).pnginsane_ian_posse (resized).png
    #208 2 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Funny - if you look in the background you can see the basic hand tools I made it all with too lol
    All my good tools are out at a building site. No table saw here! Just a Makita battery saw, some PVA glue and some 65mm screws. Haha
    rd[quoted image]

Did you do an all new layout or another retheme? CNC playfield or free hand? I've been freehanding on a busted game/retheme for funsies the past year. I've done a lot with a simple power drill, a dremel, a cheap handheld jigsaw, and a ratcheting crimper (so much crimping). Coding is another matter, but it's slowly coming along.

It's almost like you don't need a large investment from other people to make a homebrew project...

#215 2 years ago

This guy was grossly mistaken about what year AFM came out.

I’m skeptical he knows enough about the history of pinball to patent things that don’t already exist or are actually interesting to a pinball company.

Hell even the JPop patents are mostly worthless, and he knew the history and industry, because pinball companies don’t want his bat shit ideas.

1 week later
    #226 2 years ago

Spending time and money on patents instead of a factory…

68F8A614-7353-4A05-9AC8-DCEDDEA1EF3D (resized).png68F8A614-7353-4A05-9AC8-DCEDDEA1EF3D (resized).png
    9BE14AFB-3BA2-4471-901B-E0660D06BF4D (resized).png9BE14AFB-3BA2-4471-901B-E0660D06BF4D (resized).png
    B0F45230-1170-4820-9108-6876D2BB6D55 (resized).pngB0F45230-1170-4820-9108-6876D2BB6D55 (resized).png
    764DD8CC-E39F-4912-8DCE-7E7E3BE8E4AF (resized).png764DD8CC-E39F-4912-8DCE-7E7E3BE8E4AF (resized).png

I and the nearly 8k followers can’t wait to see these brilliant original ideas worth all this effort to protect.

#227 2 years ago

Also unless I'm using the Australian trademark database search incorrectly, they should probably trademark the name of their company?

#230 2 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

I doubt anyone will steal it.

You could say the same thing about the ideas they want to patent ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 weeks later
    #234 2 years ago

Get hype!

C06B33FA-C19B-48DB-B3C8-E20B2E73BCE3 (resized).jpegC06B33FA-C19B-48DB-B3C8-E20B2E73BCE3 (resized).jpeg
    #252 2 years ago

Soon my pretties

85F58560-7C52-4C64-A851-304BB6F2C5F9 (resized).png85F58560-7C52-4C64-A851-304BB6F2C5F9 (resized).png

By the way, I just want to point out that I haven’t gotten a single email from the newsletter

#255 2 years ago

Natalie would be proud

Natalie was great and all, but let me present my findings
    fans (resized).pngfans (resized).png

In conclusion, invest in Ballarama [insert diamond, hands, rocket, and moon emoji that pinside doesn't like]

#264 2 years ago

1 (resized).png1 (resized).png

2 (resized).png2 (resized).png

3 (resized).png3 (resized).png

4 (resized).png4 (resized).png

5 (resized).png5 (resized).png

6 (resized).png6 (resized).png

7 (resized).png7 (resized).png

#267 2 years ago

>Every buyers name included on all machines (unless a buyer prefers their name left off the list)

The later is the excuse for when there is exactly one name on the game. Also I guess pound sand early buyers? Gotta wait till all 300 sell

>Variable backlit backlight art

Oh boy, the figured out how to dim LEDs like every other manufacturer

>4 attack fighters - lit and semi-animated

Idk what that means. What is semi-animated? It is or isn't animated... is it crap on a spring?

>Plunger with 3 real skill shot choices

Get out of here false illusion of choice!

>5 spinners

I love spinners, but bruh...

>6 flippers

This game is going to be so expensive and draw so much power

>1 x 3 bank 2 level Flipper Targets

So really tall stand up targets?

>1 x inverted drop backflip target (pinball first)

As pointed out, it's already been done

>3 x 2 level bumper assemblies (pinball first)

Ok this is at least a different idea that I'm surprised hasn't been done before. Maybe because it's pointless, but that's beside the fact

>1 subterranean transfer

best new name for subways I've heard

>extensive upper fully playable playfield

Well thank god it plays

>12 pinballs - 6 balls installed and 6 spares provided

lol why?

>Now we would be silly not to include the clause that specification is subject to change at the manufacturers discretion, so here it is! But we will not less the complexity and challenge of what we provide, only possibly the combination of items. Non [sic] of the Pinball Firsts would ever be omitted

ie the game hasn't been fully designed and finalized yet

>automatic fault finding and reporting - online and local (pinball first)

The online part is new, but local fault finding and reports has been a thing for almost 40 years. Hell High Speed knew how to compensate for certain broken parts

>Inbuilt solenoid protection

A fuse?

>Total LED colour balance control - (pinball first)

Most manufacturers just balance it before you get it? I don't really get this.

>online game updates
    >online control of your machine settings
    >online high scores and tournaments

Make a game before making luxury accoutrements most owners won't use. Also this is pure crap

>Award system that gives you real advances in game play

Ian hates fake advances

>Customisable audio, text and video content

Supply your own, because we can't. (What does their staff musician think of this?)

>All games saved online with tracking and tips/hints

Here's an online tip, don't give these guys any money

#269 2 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

Didn't Heighway Pinball have a 2 level pop bumper plus it has come up in discussion in the past of a pop bumper and then raises up to be a scoop

Are you thinking of their Angry Birds concept game? I don't recall two level pops, but it was a multi level structure that would rotate and sink into the game to expose different elements, such as a scoop. https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/angry-birds-concept-pin-sketches-and-notes/

#273 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Obvious scam is obvious. I know you're trying to be a bit neutral as a news source...but I don't think it could hurt to pepper in reminders of the recent past for any newbs who happen to come across your reporting. Anyone reading about this new scam should be constantly reminded of Derp Poop, J Flop, Douche Pinball, Hydrofoil Pinball & all the other losers who squandered people's money & time.

This. Knapp is adding legitimacy to someone who doesn’t deserve any sort of benefit of the doubt.

#332 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Yeah, sorry for the delay. Thank you for your interest! As we all know, developing feature lists is both time consuming and a $ drain. I'd like to keep developing it, and so I've partnered with The BlackHole Investment Group. You can directly invest in my feature list thru them. I hope to bring some exciting tweaks in the coming weeks to the list! It's been a real challenge (as any feature list is) to make important decisions.. I can't tell you the # of nights I've been up at night staring into the void thinking "1 potato flipper, 2 meat flippers or 2 potato flippers and 1 meat flipper???!" Of course you want to nail that list the first time around before you spill your guts to the world and publish anything.. but I feel like any changes coming to the list will be positively received publicly. In addition to what I've included, I plan to also publish important details such as the #'s and size's of screws that will be used and the colors of wire. I may even include the approximate weight (which will hold zero relevance and be a complete shot in the dark). I am excited to soon share these details... just as soon as I receive my dividend from BlackHole Investing so I can fund those hours of development.

Pinball wire coloring is long overdue for some innovation. Thank you for your brave service in using other people's money to develop a prototype.

#334 2 years ago

People are dying to know if the leg bolts are in metric or US customary

#340 2 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Is there something about pinball that makes this community especially ripe for being ripped off?

Lots of deep pocket collectors who are sometimes blinded by their dislike of existing manufacturers and/or unfamiliar with the amount of work that goes into designing and building a game. And there are speculators who hope to get a bargain on the next Big Bang Bar.

#342 2 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Good points. It was hard to believe one of that dr guys ended up in the Haggis thread, with a pre order.

I don't find that hard to believe. Haggis is incredibly more productive and viable than deeproot. They really don't compare.

Though I think it's totally valid to wonder how much more cash on hand they have and if they can survive till they're firmly out of the red.

Also some of those cheerleaders definitely seem like they're mostly interested in flipping the game. There's no reason to own more than one otherwise lol

1 week later
    #353 2 years ago

Hoping everyone is ok and feeling well

covirama (resized).pngcovirama (resized).png
    #356 2 years ago

I'm a big fan of them considering all people on the waitlist as basically confirmed to order one

#368 2 years ago

I noticed the growth of their Facebook has tapered off significantly as of late. I'm guessing they paid for 10k followers. 141 followers for them sounds much more likely of what they would have as a pinball "company" without a product or a very engaging social media approach.

#370 2 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

Paying for fake followers is a real head scratcher as does not mean people are going to buy their pinball - people want to see pinball content, play the pinball, and the longer the smoke and mirrors is around the more people will move on
    Look at Spooky, they have 11k followers but they build games, go to shows and are in the US and have lots of connections
    Look at Haggis, they have 3.5k followers and have showed a heap of videos, made some games and have a factory and are in Aus
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Getting a lot of followers might help them get more traction in the almighty algorithms that rule what content people see. Granted, they have piss poor engagement which is what the algorithms really use when surfacing content.

It might also trick some dumb investors

#372 2 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

but there is no interesting, meaningful content just yellow and blue words .....

Look at how they use social media. They don't know how it works. I don't think it's surprising if they thought buying likes would get them more attention.

#379 2 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

I think we would see actual games for sale if that were the case.
    I'm still trying to decide if Ballarama is going to be a fund raising scam, or if they are really misguided enough to think they can finance a pinball manufacturing company this way.

Don’t ascribe malice to that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

4 weeks later
    #384 1 year ago

I imagine no updates till he gets the patents sorted out because he thinks they’re that special.

#389 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Not quite sure where Haggis is on this either. A very confusing thread. Are games being delivered, are the not!?!?

Let's not bring Haggis into the conversation. They're totally different than the Ballarama and deeproots of the world. They're struggling yet making progress vs never having a chance.

#391 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

I'm just noting the similarities that's it. Missed timelines, lack of communication. . Those seem to be pretty good indicators that things aren't going well.
    You have to admit something is weird about that thread, some game was shipped two weeks ago, but no one has seen it yet...

Meh, meh, and meh.

I agree things aren’t sunshine and rainbows over there, but they do actually deliver games to customers (however slowly). They may go out of business. I don’t know. But it’s not a comical trainwreck where it should be obvious to anyone with common sense that it’s a disaster.

My guess is they’re just facing the same sort of chip and part shortages, and very long shipping times like everyone else.

I think they can pull out of it if they stick it through

1 week later
    #402 1 year ago

This post got a lot of engagement, but mostly because I think people were confused by the shared post and are thinking Ballarama Pinball has all these games

Ballarama Pinball  Facebook.pdfBallarama Pinball Facebook.pdf
    2 months later
    #480 1 year ago

Ok, so now that he has protections on ideas no one wants to steal…show a game

#481 1 year ago

Also surprised they didn’t try to patent a double decker flipper

2 months later
    #491 1 year ago

What might be more interesting is to take the disappearing pop from Gusher/Cirqus and make it a multilevel pop. Then the pop can be totally gone, on the main playfield only, or on the main playfield and on an upper playfield

Is it a good idea worth trying? Eh... maybe if the layout is cool.

The core idea of the Ballrama multi level mechs is pointless to me. It's basically making an upper playfield that's the same the main playfield. That seems extremely restrictive of layout possibilities and likely repetitive.

2 months later
    #497 1 year ago

The silent ten thousand strong Ballarama army keeps faith, yearning for the radical game designs, industry first features, awesome game feel, solid and robust construction, updated code, reliable spare parts, and liftetime support Ballarama is known for [putting on their website]

1 year later
    #517 53 days ago

Website seems down, Instagram page seems gone, but the Facebook page is going strong at just under 10k. Natalie did her part!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TreyBo69.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ballarama-co?tu=TreyBo69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.