Capture (resized).PNG
0Target-Alpha-Work-34 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
Pinball (resized).png
Capture (resized).PNG
Ball return diagram (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

Got 2 problems, not sure if related:

1. Ball won't eject/advance to next ball in play. This happens randomly, but typically at least once per game. It can be the first ball or any other. Sometimes, on the last ball, it drains but does not give "game over". If I manually eject the ball, it advances to the next ball in play.

2. Not sure if this is a related problem, but sometimes the 10,000s reel doesn't fully reset. Most of the time it does, but not always. I've cleaned all the score reels and closely inspected the switches. Can someone please tell me the correct switch positions for this reel? I currently have (top/bottom): "0" = Open/Closed; "1"- "8" = Closed/Closed; and "9" = Closed/Open.

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from jaybird5619:

Got 2 problems, not sure if related:
1. Ball won't eject/advance to next ball in play. This happens randomly, but typically at least once per game. It can be the first ball or any other. Sometimes, on the last ball, it drains but does not give "game over". If I manually eject the ball, it advances to the next ball in play.
2. Not sure if this is a related problem, but sometimes the 10,000s reel doesn't fully reset. Most of the time it does, but not always. I've cleaned all the score reels and closely inspected the switches. Can someone please tell me the correct switch positions for this reel? I currently have (top/bottom): "0" = Open/Closed; "1"- "8" = Closed/Closed; and "9" = Closed/Open.

Concentrate on 1 problem at a time. Re your #2, if the 10,000 not resetting is only on the first player, the easiest thing is to compare its switches to how they operate on a correctly working scoring unit.

#3 6 years ago

Check the third sw. on SM 1C for cleanliness, gap, and "floating contacts." And also the Make/Break on AX.

For #2: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#reels

#4 6 years ago

Ok. Problem #2 solved. After some more adjusting the switches, it now resets every time.

So, back to problem #1. It continues to randomly not eject the ball - other than that, the machine now plays perfectly. I'm doing my best to learn how to read the schematics. Looking at the attached diagram, am I correct in thinking that in order for the ball to eject, the following sequence must occur:

1. Brown-Red wire from coil goes to normally open switch on the ball return relay "O"
2. Relay "O" energizes (or is already energized?) which closes the switch
3. The Green-Red wire from "O" goes to a normally closed switch on Bx (is this normally closed when Bx is energized or not? Not sure how you tell).
5. The Yellow-Black (???) wire from Bx goes to the normally open switch 4C on the motor
6. Motor turns and switch 4C closes
7. The Red-White wire from Motor 4C goes to the normally closed bounce switch, which goes to the fuse and then transformer

Is this the approach you'd take or would you start with the Ball Return Relay? What am I missing?

currieddog -- I inspected and cleaned 1C #3 switch -- it's clearly making/breaking contact as it should.

Ball return diagram (resized).pngBall return diagram (resized).png

#5 6 years ago

And since the ball is ejecting about 50% of the time (so the circuitry DOES work at times), would that indicate the problem is mostly likely with "O" or "Bx" relays (please, please let it not be the Bx).

#6 6 years ago

What about SM 4C 4th sw? And did you check the AX? You also have that M/B on H.

#7 6 years ago

Hi jaybird5619
some theory: In the pin there is AC-Current. AC-Current has an power-side and has an common / return side. I know it is AC but I look at the schematics as if DC would flow - DC flows just like water flows. Your schematics has the transformer - wire to the fuse - further --- I imagine there comes water out / comes DC-Current out.
Current flows through wires / switches / wires reaching an coil. The coil has on its other side an connection (returning path to the transformer). When all switches on the power-side are closed: Current can flow and the coil pulls.
Instead of Your (post-4) 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 I imagine: 7,6,5,4,3,2,1.

A fact about Score-Motor-Switches: There is a playfield-feature-AA needing the help of the motor --- there is a playfield-feature-BB needing the help of the motor --- there is a whatsoever-feature-CC needing the help of the motor --- DD, EE, and more.
WHENEVER the motor does a turn (Gottlieb: A third of a revolution): ALL switches on the motor do actuate --- ALL switches. So every feature has its "feature switch" to accept what the motor--switches do (for him) --- the feature-CC calls for help - closes its (CC) feature switch ( accepts the help --- the other features have their feature-switch open (as they are not calling for help) - they do not accept.

We could name Your O-Relay: "O-Stuff-must-be-done-as-the-ball-has-entered-the-Outhole-Relay".
So the O-Relay calls for help of the Score-Motor (hey motor, please make a turn of 120 degrees) - the O-Relay closes its feature switch to accept the help of closing motor-4C - so the Ball-Return-Coil fires to kick the ball over to the shooter-alley. Eventually the "BX-last-Ball-has-been-lost-has-entered-the-Outhole-Relay" says: Sorry - when the very last ball has been played and has been lost: NO KICKING-OUT of the ball --- I-the-BX-RELAY have actuated and I made my switch open. Greetings Rolf

#8 6 years ago

currieddog -- checked on all switches you note and they all look good to me. Can you help me understand why "H" and "Ax" are involved? Aren't they "outside" the circuit needed to activate the eject coil?

#9 6 years ago

@rolf_martin_062: thanks for that great explanation. just give me a few hours to try to digest it!

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from jaybird5619:

Can you help me understand why "H" and "Ax" are involved? Aren't they "outside" the circuit needed to activate the eject coil?

Jaybird-they are in the "line" leading into the Ball Return. AX shows , too, in this snippet. Also remember that a visual is not a guarantee of good contact. And because of the intermittent nature of this it's a good idea to crimp the contacts involved to eliminate the chance of a "floating" contact, ie-one that's rivet is not tight.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG

#11 6 years ago

currieddog -- how do you crimp the contacts -- that's the first I've heard of this.

#12 6 years ago

Needlenose pliers work well. Gently get in and give them a good squeeze.

#13 6 years ago

I'm getting ready to throw this thing in the river. I *think* I've figured out the no-ball-eject issue. The bonus unit was getting hung up. It was not always resetting. I made a few adjustments and that seems to have solved the issue ... Can anyone confirm that, at the zero position, the inside snowshoe sits on the bakelite (not a rivet)?

HOWEVER...

I now have two new issues. While the machine is currently ejecting balls, it does not recognize game over -- it just serves up a 6th ball. THEN, next time I started up, it resets but keeps trying to add a player. It automatically adds players 2-4, then the coin unit just keeps firing -- the score motor running continuously.

I'm a bit overwhelmed and not sure where to start next. I'm assuming the Bx/Bxr and O relays are suspects -- but honestly, I've checked them so many times I don't know what else to do.

currieddog , I agree the eye is not always a guarantee of a good contact, but how else is there? Seems to me the only way to crimp the contacts on the relays (especially the Ax/Bx/Dx) would be to disassemble the switch stacks. (I haven't tried getting in there with my needlenose, but seems it would be a very tight, if not impossible fit.).

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from jaybird5619:

... the eye is not always a guarantee of a good contact, but how else is there? ...

The way to test for good contact is by diagnosing with Alligator clip jumper wires, not fixing things that may not be broken.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from jaybird5619:

crimp the contacts on the relays

You can squeeze a pair together.

#16 6 years ago

OK... I'll leave the switch contacts alone for now ... in the meantime, any thoughts as to why it will not end a game or why it keeps trying to add a player? This was not happening before I adjusted the bonus unit, which seemed to fix the problem with the ball not ejecting. Seems like every time one problem is solved, two more pop up.

#17 6 years ago

I would take a good look at the BX. And did you ever get to checking the AX? They are tricky, but when you get them right they have a nice snap when locked/unlocked.

From PinRepair: Adjusting these Gottlieb latch relays is more of an art than a science. It takes some practice, and some experimentation to get it right. I can offer some suggestions that should help. First is make sure the switch stacks are tight before you do any switch adjustment (this applies to all relay switch adjustments.) Next make sure that the moving blades have enough back pressure to snap the armature plate to "home" when the latch releases the armature plate. The armature should not come back "soft", but should make a noticeable click. This ensures the most switch travel and precise activation of the armature plate. Last you need to adjust the switches. No rocket science here, just make sure you get as much wiping motion as possible on the switch contacts, without making the contact too close together when the switches are open.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from jaybird5619:

OK... I'll leave the switch contacts alone for now ... in the meantime, any thoughts as to why it will not end a game or why it keeps trying to add a player? This was not happening before I adjusted the bonus unit, which seemed to fix the problem with the ball not ejecting. Seems like every time one problem is solved, two more pop up.

When it doesn't end a game does the BX relay change state at the end of the next-to-last ball?
When it keeps trying to add a player, what are the Start (S) and Replay Button (V) relays doing? Check this switch.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#19 6 years ago

Be very careful is you mess with the AX BX relays if you do'nt fully understand the proper adjustment it's easy to get it all messed up. I learned the hard way and was shown by someone the correct way to adjust them and I was doing it all wrong! Also do you start with the simple and check and clean the outhole switch? Could just be a dirty or slightly maladjusted outhole switch

#20 5 years ago

OK, I'm back from a wife-requested pinball "break." (I think she was tired of my whining about this machine). Here's where things stand:

GOOD NEWS: the issue with the machine trying to continually add additional players is resolved. Not sure if this is what solved it, but while inspecting M2B as suggested by @HowardR, I noticed the M4D was not making solid contact. I made the adjustment and no more problem.

NOT SO GOOD NEWS: the machine will still not end the game. @HowardR, the Bx relay does NOT engage at the end of ball 4. It remains in the "out"/disengaged position. When I manually hold in Bx after ball 4, the machine does stop (i.e., "game over") after ball 5. I'm assuming this means the Bxr relay is not firing. I've tried to do a continuity check on that relay, but I get lost when it gets to the player unit.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from jaybird5619:

the machine will still not end the game. HowardR, the Bx relay does NOT engage at the end of ball 4. It remains in the "out"/disengaged position. When I manually hold in Bx after ball 4, the machine does stop (i.e., "game over") after ball 5. I'm assuming this means the Bxr relay is not firing. I've tried to do a continuity check on that relay, but I get lost when it gets to the player unit.

There are 2 coils on the BX relay. One coil has a Yellow&Blue&Red wire and the other coil has an Orange&Black wire. Simulating activation of which coil makes your pin work correctly? Or if a phone call would help, PM me your contact information.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

I would take a good look at the BX. And did you ever get to checking the AX?

The AX has to be working correctly as well. My TA has done some funky things related to those latch switches, and I've had to manually reset each a couple times to get the whole reset sequence working right. Re-read the bit I posted above about adjusting those switches.

#23 5 years ago

Hi jaybird5619
a fully functioning Target Alpha (set to 5 balls per play, playing a One-Player-Game) does NOT actuate the BX-Relay when the fourth ball has been played - has been lost - enters the Outhole --- NO - the BX-Relay actuates when the fifth ball is played - is lost - enters the Outhole - NOW the BX-Relay actuates.

Kerry Imming has a good site - http://www.planetimming.com/ - go to "Testing Gottlieb Player Unit": http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/Player%20Unit%20Troubleshooting.pdf - see at end "The BX-Relay is triggered ...". Greetings Rolf

#24 5 years ago

Thanks, Rolf --

1). I checked and the Bx relay does not actuate after the 5th ball has been played and enters the outhole.
2). I did the complete player unit check outlined in the very helpful link you sent (I actually did the whole thing twice, just to make sure) and I got continuity at all points.

#25 5 years ago

Check these switches, esp. player unit 5A.

#26 5 years ago

Hi currieddog, jaybird5619 +
I believe the problem is BX-Coil (((NOT: BX-Reset-Coil))) - in an ONE-Player-Game (in 5 ball per game mode): Along the orange wires (in the JPG) current flows - at the time the O-Relay pulls-in ----- after the last ball has been lost - does enter the Outhole does makes the O-Relay to pull-in. Greetings Rolf

0Target-Alpha-Work-34 (resized).jpg0Target-Alpha-Work-34 (resized).jpg

#27 5 years ago

rolf_martin_062 — when the fifth ball enters the out hole, relay O does pull in, but it pulses, and with each pulse, the ball eject actuates.

#28 5 years ago

Check SM 2C, third sw.

#29 5 years ago

Hi jaybird5619
I think the (Your post-27) "ball eject coil fires and fires" is because the BX-Relay does not pull-in.

When I have a difficult problem (many wires / Jones-Plugs / switches on relays, steppers, score-motor) I then say: First question: Does the coil in question fires when I force connection ? --- as there is no use in checking the connections when the coil is dead.

See the JPG (my blue line) - a Jumper-Wire hooked on "Coil on BX-Relay" - the other end of the Jumper-Wire is laid near the 25VAC-Fuse - laying on wood not touching metal.

An absolute "No - no" is: Bottom of JPG - my "Danger never touch" - the lug on the transformer and the connecting wire-in-the-pin-color-red to the fuseholder - this everything is NEVER to be touched.

We are allowed to use (beeing careful) "other side on the fuse-holder having wire-color-red-green soldered-on" --- we then have the fuse in "what we are doing".

Toggle-off the pin, unplug the main power cord (Safety Reasons) - clip-on the Jumper-Wire at "Coil on BX-Relay, side wire-orange-black is soldered-on. Take the other end of the Jumper-Wire near the 24VAC fuse and lay the end / gator-clip of the Jumper-Wire near the fuse - on wood - not touching metal.
Plug-in, toggle-on, start a game, make some points --- NOW grab the Jumper-Wire at the insulation and tip-on and take away the gator-clip of the Jumper-Wire at "fuse side wire-red-green is soldered-on. Question - does the BX-Relay-Coil fire ? Greetings Rolf

0Target-Alpha-Work-35 (resized).jpg0Target-Alpha-Work-35 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ball-wont-eject-randomly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.