You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15836292928436260167603610420459 (resized).jpg
8D047F2B-0073-4716-A8B9-050EE850E337 (resized).png
VolleyBallReturn (resized).jpg
VolleyOutholeTest (resized).jpg
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Got my target reset bank to finally work thanks to DeMoib, now the
ball won't eject. Did I do something wrong? Could it be the Ball return relay?

#2 4 years ago

First make sure the switch is clean and closing. Is the O Relay firing? That’s the ball return relay. Make sure those switches are gapped and closing correctly.

#3 4 years ago

Goldenboy232, on the O relay, what position should the switches be in before I start a new game?

#4 4 years ago

unenergized, there probably both normally open and normally closed contacts on the relay

#5 4 years ago

Thanks pinhead52, will take a look.

#6 4 years ago

Here is what's happening. When I trigger the O relay, the ball eject coil won't fire. But if i "hold" the O relay in the ball eject coil will fire. Could one of the switches in the O relay be out of whack?

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from wesley:

Could one of the switches in the O relay be out of whack?

I would clean and gap them first

#8 4 years ago

Also, the O relay doesn't engage when I start a new game.

#9 4 years ago

hole switch?

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from wesley:

Here is what's happening. When I trigger the O relay, the ball eject coil won't fire. But if i "hold" the O relay in the ball eject coil will fire. Could one of the switches in the O relay be out of whack?

Is there a score motor switch on the path that fires the O relay. It sounds like it also could be that there’s a switch opening too soon, which is preventing O from firing and, in turn, preventing the coil from firing. The fact you can hold it in a little longer and then it fires could be that you’re holding it long enough for the motor switch to get to a closed position, but that it’s not able to with a normal pulse.

But don’t go chasing it. Make sure you’re looking at the schematic and know which switch to inspect. Don’t wanna start causing other problems by adjusting score motor switches that don’t need adjusting.

#11 4 years ago

As suggested above, have you tested the ball return (hole) switch? Remove the ball, lift the playfield up, start a game and activate the ball return switch with your finger. Does it activate the ball kickout relay?
VolleyOutholeTest (resized).jpgVolleyOutholeTest (resized).jpg

#12 4 years ago

I tried holding the kick out fingers together, it still won't activate the kick out coil. DaMoib, do you think I did something wrong with the switches on the bank reset relay. Since I got the bank to finally work, now the ball won't kick out.

#13 4 years ago

Also, thanks everyone. I will probably be back.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from wesley:

I tried holding the kick out fingers together, it still won't activate the kick out coil. DaMoib, do you think I did something wrong with the switches on the bank reset relay. Since I got the bank to finally work, now the ball won't kick out.

When you start the game and then close the hole switch:

1) does the motor spin?
2) does the O relay activate?
3) did your targets and sequence bank reset?

How did you fix the bank reset? Did you ONLY clean and adjust some of the switches on the Q relay?

I'll post a schematic in a few mins... the AX relay is in the path, did one of your previous repairs involve AX?

#15 4 years ago

One of your previous issues related to score reel reset ( https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1976-volley#post-5479767 ), was this resolved? What fixed it?

Here's the path to activate the Ball Return Relay (O). This should be easily testable with a jumper wire. Note the AX make/break switch in the path.

VolleyBallReturn (resized).jpgVolleyBallReturn (resized).jpg
#16 4 years ago

Motor spins....O relay does not activate....the targets resets and the bank does work now. Didn't touch the Ax relay. I did adjust some of the switches on the Q relay. That's why I'm a little concerned I messed with one of the switches on the Q relay.

#17 4 years ago

Also, no I didn't resolve the issue with the score reels. I wish I could.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from wesley:

Also, no I didn't resolve the issue with the score reels. I wish I could.

Wait... you never resolved the reset issue?

Is the motor spinning BEFORE you activate the outhole switch?

#19 4 years ago

I keep testing, but no power is going to the O relay. When I activate it manually, then the ball eject coil works.

#20 4 years ago

#21 4 years ago

I resolved the main reset bank issue. When I hold the outhole switch together, then hit the start game button, the ball eject coil does not work.

#22 4 years ago

Only time the motor runs is when I press the start game button.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from DaMoib:

He’s asking if the score reels are resetting to zero correctly? If not, the score motor will continue spinning and the game won’t get to trying to kick out the ball yet. Are the reels at zero?

#24 4 years ago

When I press the start game button, the O relay does not activate, therefore not firing the ball eject coil. Somehow no power is going to the O relay.

#25 4 years ago

No the score reels are still not resetting to zero. But the ball eject coil would still work.

#26 4 years ago

The ball eject coil is connected to the O relay (orange-black) but no power is going to O relay.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from wesley:

No the score reels are still not resetting to zero. But the ball eject coil would still work.

Do the reels first. Once they reset, see where you’re at?

#28 4 years ago

That's one of my problems, I can't fix that yet. Don't know how. It almost has the same problem like the O relay. I have to press the Ax relay to reset the score reels.

#29 4 years ago

The problem is, since I got the reset bank to work, now the ball eject won't work. How can I get power to the O relay. When that works ball eject will work. Does the Q relay have anything to do with it. I did adjust the switches in it.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from wesley:

That's one of my problems, I can't fix that yet. Don't know how. It almost has the same problem like the O relay. I have to press the Ax relay to reset the score reels.

The score reel reset is your MAIN problem, until that is corrected you will not have power to the O relay - a switch on AX (and, possibly other switches) are blocking it *by design*. I'll post the Volley reset sequence back in the original repair topic linked above. The machine executes these steps *in order*, progressively powering up and getting ready for gameplay.

Also, at this point, you may want to consider some local help, do you know any pinball enthusiasts and/or techs in your area?

#31 4 years ago

That's the problem in Canada, even here in the small province of Nova Scotia, pinball enthusiasts are very few and far between. I bought it listed as "electrical issues". Maybe I'll sell it listed as the same. This person must have tinkered too much with it.

#32 4 years ago

Wesley, if you open the back door of the game and look at the score reels, do you know how to take a score reel out of the head? If you look at the bottom of each score reel, on the left side, there’s a little white plastic tab that you gently push to the left and then it enables you to slide the reel towards you and out of the game. Then on the side of the real, sticking through the metal plate, there should be a little white plastic tab that is barely sticking out. If you slide that towards you it will manually move the real one step. You can do this on each of the four wheels to manually step them all to zero.

This won’t solve the problem of why the reels are not resetting, but it will enable you to simulate them all being at zero and see if the game will reset that way. You still need to figure out the bigger problem, which as stated above, is your main problem. Because the game will never work until the reels reset to zero on their own.

You can read about how to adjust score reel switches, if that ends up being the problem, on Clay’s website. Let us know if you don’t have the link to that and we can send it to you.

#33 4 years ago

I should add, do not start messing with the score reel switches until you know what you’re doing. You’ll cause more problems. But just wanted to see if you could reset the reels to zero manually (You won’t mess anything up by trying this) because that may show you that there’s no problem elsewhere in the game, it’s possible it’s just the issue of getting the reels to reset.

If you do eventually need to adjust the score wheel switches, we can talk you through that.

#34 4 years ago

Plus, I don't think the main issue is the score reels. The ball eject coil would always work until I adjusted the Q relay to get the bank reset to work, then it stopped working. I think that's why there is no power going to the O relay.

#35 4 years ago

A schematic would help. It’s hard to know unless we can see if there’s a switch on Q that’s in the path to O.

#36 4 years ago

Just read your last post. I had EM's before. Actually I had the reels out and moved the tabs to see if the wheels were sticking. They move very freely. But if I gently trigger the Ax relay, the reels will reset to zero.

#37 4 years ago

I have a schematic, but I don't know how to read it. Haven't watched the video yet on how to read schematics. But I think you're correct. There must be a switch that connects Q to O.

#38 4 years ago

I just realized another pinsider posted that part of the schematic above. Basically, if you can find the make/break switch on the AX relay with the red wire, it looks like that would be the one in question.

Be sure to read the post in your other thread referencing the video showing how to adjust AX relay. Those switch gaps are small and are very sensitive to adjustment.

#39 4 years ago

The red wire on the Ax relay...will give it a try. Will get back to all of you tonight. Have to go to work now. 8 hours at FedEx.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from wesley:

The red wire on the Ax relay...will give it a try. Will get back to all of you tonight. Have to go to work now. 8 hours at FedEx.

Keep in mind, it’s not certain the AX is the problem, just saying that if there’s a switch in question, that would be the logical on on THAT relay.

It seems odd that Q would be the problem since I don’t see Q in the path to O, above. As mentioned above, the reels resetting properly to zero is the first issue and trying to fix anything else is a waste of time because it’s “downstream” from the reels resetting. IF the reels are able to reset on their own to zero, and the ball still doesn’t kick out, then that “O” path is the next thing to diagnose.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from wesley:

Actually I had the reels out and moved

They can move freely and still have dirty or misaligned switches...switches are the bigger issue. I’ve picked up games with filthy reels that reset fine.

#42 4 years ago

Hi all. I still can't get power to the darn O relay. Also, I think maybe the score reels aren't resetting to zero is because the motor doesn't turn long enough. It seems the motor has to turn long enough to give time for the score reels to get to zero.

#43 4 years ago

Clean the switch under the ball drain. I doubt that is the problem, but it’s a good start

#44 4 years ago

What are the results of your work through of the start up routine provided earlier by DaMoib? That process is critical along with your findings of each stage to provide further objective assistance.

#45 4 years ago

From a few of your statements above (motor turns briefly, score wheels reset when AX is activated by hand), sounds like the Start (S) Relay is not triggering AX.

When you press the start button, do AX and JX activate?

#46 4 years ago

Maybe a video showing power up and what happens when you press start would help.

#47 4 years ago

Tough one DaMoib. Have to get the wife to hit the start button so I can see in the back of the cabinet. Will let you know.

#48 4 years ago

To all. Why am I not getting power to the O relay, which in turn triggers the ball eject coil ?

#49 4 years ago

That's it, I'm done with this piece of crap. Firewood next weekend. Thank to everyone who helped me.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from wesley:

That's it, I'm done with this piece of crap. Firewood next weekend. Thank to everyone who helped me.

how much for the firewood ?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 42.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 210.00
Cabinet Parts
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ball-won-t-eject-on-my-volley/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.