10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by RWH
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I got a new game (tee'd off) yesterday and the VUK seemed like it was having issues intermittently. It just didn't have enough kick to lift the ball into the wire habitrail, but only once and a while, the rest of the time it works perfect.

I discovered it was only happening to one ball, so I removed the 4 games and weighed them.

In the 4 balls I weighed, I found that there was almost 2g difference from the lightest to the heaviest ball. No wonder the kicker was struggling for that one ball.

So, I was wondering, in multi ball games do you check to see if all the balls weight the same before you put them in the machine? So that all balls play the same

#2 10 years ago

Never ever considered that. How much is 2g in the context of the total weight though? In other words, what was the percentage difference between heaviest and lightest? 2g isn't much if the balls weigh 100g but it is if they only weigh 20g.

Having never weighed one, I'd guess a ball is around 30g?

#3 10 years ago

They are supposed to weigh 80 grams according to the google machine. So 2 grams seems under tolerance. I doubt that really affects the upkicker as much as OP thinks.

#4 10 years ago

I'd agree - 2g in 80g is nothing and a VUK should be able to fling the ball out without any trouble.

#5 10 years ago

It might be just that the up kicker needs to rebuilt.

sometimes the ball just doesn't seem to roll up the ramp, and I always thought "just hit it harder" but could it be, that it actually takes more strength cuz the ball is heavier.

#6 10 years ago

Rebuild and clean it.. if it has just enough power then the 2 gram may make the difference but it shouldn't. Does it have the same size or is it a bit bigger ? that may be more of an issue.

#7 10 years ago

All balls are the same size. Just slight difference in their mass

7 years later
    #8 3 years ago

Have you checked all the coils to see if they are original or upgrades in power? Pretty common for owners to put a stronger coil at the upkick.

#9 3 years ago

Sheese sorry guys clicked on this through other thread and thought I was out of it, did not mean to comment in an old thread

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ball-weight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.