(Topic ID: 37860)

Ball trough randomly ejects multiple balls into shooter lane while playing

By Neemox

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hey all, I've been searching the web and my local support for a while now, and I'm really stuck. My World Cup Soccer table has this issue where (most of the time) it works great, but occasionally, while in play the ball trough will start trying to eject balls into the shooter lane. Sometimes the ball will make it out, sometimes the solenoid seems to only half fire, and the ball just shows its head and falls back into the trough. It's not just one ball either. I frequently end up having all 4 remaining balls in the shooter lane while I am still playing the 5th ball. This tells me that it is not just one opto acting up, although I have tested all of the opto emitters and receivers in the ball trough, they all check out fine. When it starts to happen, I open the cabinet and make sure that all the connectors are firmly attached at both PCBs, and then upon closing the door again, it keeps going.
I really am at a loss for what could be causing this, but I sure would like it to stop. What is it in the logic of the game that tells that solenoid to fire? Could there be a switch somewhere besides the trough that is shorting and producing a half-fire to full fire response in the solenoid (I didn't think half-fire was an option, but looking at the solenoid while this is happening and listening to it, it sure seems like it.)

Anyway, any help on this would be much appreciated.

#2 11 years ago

You could have a few different problems here.

The ball trough opto boards, be sure they are clean, and no loose components on them. Remove the balls, go into switch edge test, and pass something between each pair of optos and see if they all work.

Look at the bottom V grove of the ball trough, see any divots ? If so you need to remove the ball trough and the coil holder on the end, stick a big flat file in there and file the V grove smooth.

Be sure the balls aren't magnetized.

Go into switch edge test, roll a ball down the shooter lane to the plunger, see if the switch closes and stays closed with a ball sitting there.

Long shot, the last opto a ball goes by on it's way up to the shooter lane, check where it is in your game's manual, check the other switches on the same row or column for basic problems - wired wring, diode on backwards, a short to switch wiring.

And be sure you have the correct number of balls in there and all accounted for.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I have cleaned all the optos and checked the boards for loose solder points etc. I also used the switch test to confirm that the opto pairs were each working when I rolled a ball down the trough.

How big would a divot in this trough need to be? I assume the ball would need to be getting stuck there for this to be the problem? There is barely a rough patch in the trough, but certainly not what I would call a divot.

The switch at the plunger checks out fine, and all the switches in the row/column with the "trough stack" opto all seem to be working great. Not sure what the heck is going on here, but just played through 5 games without a problem. I guess I'll post again when it happens again.

#4 11 years ago

Before you start filing down the v groove demagnetize the balls and try this:

http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=449

Its not a bad ideal to have one of these on hand.

Demagnetizers can be found cheap on Ebay.

#5 11 years ago

Could also possibly be another opto somewhere above or below the PF; sometimes poppers & subways (game thinks a ball is up there, so it shoots a 2nd ball into the trough).

Put the game into T-1, pound the PF near the optos and watch/listen for false closures.

Alternatively, to find a flaky intermittent opto, set the game in T-1 and let it sit for a couple hours while you do something else nearby (to listen for false closures).

#6 11 years ago

Thanks Pinmeister, that trough guide is on its way, sounds like a great idea even if it's not whats causing the problems.

I think I finally found the problem, and as NM pointed out, it was an opto in a ball popper up top. Not sure why that popper would lead to the trough kicking out a bunch of balls, but there was a broken wire. After the fix, it hasn't done anything. I'll start up T-1 and let it sit for a while and see if anything fires.

Thanks so much

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Neemox:

Thanks Pinmeister, that trough guide is on its way, sounds like a great idea even if it's not whats causing the problems.
I think I finally found the problem, and as NM pointed out, it was an opto in a ball popper up top. Not sure why that popper would lead to the trough kicking out a bunch of balls, but there was a broken wire. After the fix, it hasn't done anything. I'll start up T-1 and let it sit for a while and see if anything fires.
Thanks so much

Had a similar problem with the Sanctum opto triggering the same problem. Let me know if you get to Denver, you can check out my game room. (See pictures)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Balt, MD
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 85.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ball-trough-randomly-ejects-multiple-balls-into-shooter-lane-while-playing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.