Ball Trough Issue WPC-95 Medieval Madness

By EricHadley

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I have an original MM with one strange issue. On boot up, as it's running the test, the bar runs across the screen. Rev 1.09C
As soon as the test is done and you get that one beep sound. At the same time as that final boot beep it lightly fires the trough coil, not enough to kick a ball out, then immediately does a regular fire and kicks a ball out. It does this with or without balls in the game. I tested all the trough optos are they are all fine. In fact the game plays 100% perfectly, just this strange ball trough kicker behavior on boot.

Anyone seen this before? Any thoughts on what to look at as the cause? Much appreciated!

#2 2 years ago

Check the ball through coil, take off the apron and do some cleaning in and around the coil. Also take out the coil sleeve and clean it. See if that works, majority of times it's dirt and gunk build up.

#3 2 years ago

But why is the game firing the coil at all? It shouldn’t be firing it at that moment.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

But why is the game firing the coil at all? It shouldn’t be firing it at that moment.

Have you tested the ball through optos in switch test?

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Have you tested the ball through optos in switch test?

Yep, they test fine. Checked them multiple times to be sure

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Yep, they test fine. Checked them multiple times to be sure

Hmm, did this problem just occurr all of a sudden? During gameplay? Cleaning? Check the shooter lane switch it may need adjusting

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Hmm, did this problem just occurr all of a sudden? During gameplay? Cleaning?

Been this way since I got it. It’s making me wonder if it’s a software bug, but 1.09C is the latest and I assume every machine doesnt do this…..

#8 2 years ago

Check the shooter lane switch

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Check the shooter lane switch

Ah, good idea. I have not tested that one yet. I will do that tomorrow and report back. Thx!

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Ah, good idea. I have not tested that one yet. I will do that tomorrow and report back. Thx!

Yes that could be it.. your welcome

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

But why is the game firing the coil at all?

Because it can.

Quoted from EricHadley:

It shouldn’t be firing it at that moment.

Then why is it ?

Balls aren't in position right, or game loses track of them.

Balls magnetized and not rolling into position right ? Divots in the bottom of the ball trough not letting the balls roll into position right ? And last but not least. The plunger that kicks the balls from the ball trough to the shooter lane. Sticking up a tiny bit too high and not letting balls roll into position right ? ( the plunger/coil is on a bracket that can be moved up or down at the end of the ball trough by loosening 4 screws. Don't raise it too high or lower it too low.

LTG : )

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Because it can.

Then why is it ?
Balls aren't in position right, or game loses track of them.
Balls magnetized and not rolling into position right ? Divots in the bottom of the ball trough not letting the balls roll into position right ? And last but not least. The plunger that kicks the balls from the ball trough to the shooter lane. Sticking up a tiny bit too high and not letting balls roll into position right ? ( the plunger/coil is on a bracket that can be moved up or down at the end of the ball trough by loosening 4 screws. Don't raise it too high or lower it too low.
LTG : )

Also, excellent ideas. The balls are new so I don’t think magnetized but I will check. Divots maybe, I will check for that too. It’s a HUO game so I suspect that will be ok, but worth a check. The plunger being too high could be a possibility, I will check that tomorrow too. Thx!

#13 2 years ago

Mikey want pinball fixed !

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Mikey want pinball fixed !

Mikey likey working games indeed

#15 2 years ago

The mystery continues. Shooter lane switch works fine. even made sure a ball is activating the switch when its in the lane and it does. Balls are not magnetized. Ball trough is a-ok. optos all work and always indicate correctly when the balls are in and out of the trough. Really strange.

I did a short video:

#16 2 years ago

Bumpareeno

#17 2 years ago

Sounds like your 5volts is low. Can you measure it on the MPU board?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 64.99

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ball-trough-issue-wpc-95-medieval-madness and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.