(Topic ID: 162134)

Ball times/games too long on Moderns?

By cody_chunn

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

b7f9070f169bcec87f22f65dd43367be57c27021_(resized).jpg
    LOTR_Pin_(resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

Turn off Ball Saves and multiball restart grace periods!

You will no longer have extended time problems.

Is PAPA or other big tourneys set up like that? No ball save, no multiball grace periods? They should be. That would probably cut hours off a tournament.

#2 7 years ago

Not a problem with gb..

I think tourney settings are generally not very forgiving

#3 7 years ago

We don't have that problem w/older classic games.

#4 7 years ago

The things you mentioned would make some difference, but the bigger issue is that modern games are designed with less randomness. Pop bumpers are cordoned off into their own room. Most major shots are returned to the flippers safely.

#5 7 years ago

That's right. All the way up to Addams Family. No one complained about grace periods on that game. The one ball save should be 0 points like the good ol' days. It may even level out the playfield for other players than the top 10, or however many there are. Even a pinball superman could have a couple of house balls and fail to advance.

Then again Belsito et al can kill you with one ball!

#6 7 years ago

Open the outlanes as wide as possible. And remove the rubber posts on those inlane/outlane dividers, makes it much harder to bounce the ball out of those areas.

If a game comes with a middle post between the flippers, remove it.

On games with rubber posts next to ramps (like LOTR pictured below), replace with wider rubber making the shot even tighter and more precise to hit. Bricks come back at you super fast and makes the ball hard to control, sometimes SDTM.

Turn the settings to difficult/hard/extra hard. Multiballs and such are much harder to achieve. Going back to LOTR, the "KEEP" letters go out if you have all four of them lit and roll over one of the switches again.

Turn off extra balls.

Steeper angle of the machine can also make some games more difficult.

LOTR_Pin_(resized).jpgLOTR_Pin_(resized).jpg

#7 7 years ago

Replace all newer games with two inch flipper games from the 60s and prior is the only real solution. And it works!

#8 7 years ago

Remove one flipper and the remaining flipper's button.

#9 7 years ago

Pinball shouldn't play like pachinko. Kills the newbie experience.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Replace all newer games with two inch flipper games from the 60s and prior

THATS the answer!!!

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from Msch:

Kills the newbie experience.

And your point is?

If you don't like vintage games, you can try something like this.

b7f9070f169bcec87f22f65dd43367be57c27021_(resized).jpgb7f9070f169bcec87f22f65dd43367be57c27021_(resized).jpg

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

Turn off Ball Saves and multiball restart grace periods!
    You will no longer have extended time problems.
    Is PAPA or other big tourneys set up like that? No ball save, no multiball grace periods? They should be. That would probably cut hours off a tournament.

When you don't have that "one more play" ball times and game you don't want to play. I can't stand alot of DMD's and this is the reason why. Ridiculous.

#13 7 years ago

Strip the playfield entirely and hang it on your wall. Ta-da! Now the ball time is nothing.

#14 7 years ago

I prefer games that have shorter ball times, but not because it's cheap or the ball is constantly wild. I like games that have good risk/reward strategies and you drain because you were stretching for something difficult, but rewarding. Games like Iron Man or Tron where if you key into the flow you can put up big points, but if you miss you're going to get punished, are just a blast to play.

I can enjoy long ball games, like Spider-Man or Star Trek, and they are fun to really blow up and progress through, but I would usually rather play 2-3 games on a Metallica or Ghostbusters in that same amount of time and really have the game challenge me.

#15 7 years ago

IM and TWD have short ball times. LOTR and tspp opposite side of the spectrum. All are great.

#16 7 years ago

Just to clarify, I was really talking about tourneys. The top 14 (or however many) who make the cut are good enough that they don't really need a plunger ball save or multiball ball saver.

I noticed that tourneys are lasting a looooong time and this would (should?) shorten the game times.

#17 7 years ago

We had league finals the other night and it took us almost 45 minutes to finish a 4-player game of Shrek set to factory defaults. The scoop is such a safe shot that everyone got Donkey Pinball at least three times, leading to Donkey Multiball, and then coupled with add-a-balls from the fairy, random multiball awards from the swamp, and especially that stupid up-post (was that thing really necessary?!), it took FOR.EVER. 27 million points was only good enough for third place. The sight of that game makes my skin crawl now.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from DoubleDanger:

We had league finals the other night and it took us almost 45 minutes to finish a 4-player game of Shrek set to factory defaults. The scoop is such a safe shot that everyone got Donkey Pinball at least three times, leading to Donkey Multiball, and then coupled with add-a-balls from the fairy, random multiball awards from the swamp, and especially that stupid up-post (was that thing really necessary?!), it took FOR.EVER. 27 million points was only good enough for third place. The sight of that game makes my skin crawl now.

Precisely that!

#19 7 years ago

I don't get why Shrek keeps showing up in tournaments. It's a very long ball game and the waits for it in qualifying get ridiculous.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

I don't get why Shrek keeps showing up in tournaments. It's a very long ball game and the waits for it in qualifying get ridiculous.

I can't understand it either. I'm not complaining that it's on location here; we're happy to get as much variety in the games as possible, but it really does feel like it was designed to be easy for kids, not veteran tournament players. I was shocked to see one of our local players had to play on it at the IFPA World Championships last year, although I haven't asked him how hard it was set up.

#21 7 years ago

Games with ball save posts should be disabled especially for competition and tournaments.
    Another thing that plays a huge role in long ball times are the sling shots. They need to be strong and the leaf switches need to be set just right.
    Otherwise it's not as difficult and long ball times ensue.

#22 7 years ago

I was shocked to see one of our local players had to play on it at the IFPA World Championships last year, although I haven't asked him how hard it was set up.

It was picked as the tiebreaker game at IFPA12 in 2015. 8 players were tied to make the cut. Video footage here:

Our game setup included:

-no extra balls
    -no ball saver
    -competition mode set to YES
    -up post disabled
    -outlane posts to maximum open position
    -game set to maximum slope
    -donkey playfield set to "sudden death+timer" (so you can't play on the mini playfield forever)

#23 7 years ago

That's almost there. Did it have mutiball grace periods?

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

That's almost there. Did it have mutiball grace periods?

You can't turn them off

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ball-timesgames-too-long-on-moderns and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.