Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3503 (resized).JPG
IMG_3502 (resized).JPG
IMG_3501 (resized).JPG
IMG_3484 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

Major Ball Swirl all over my Monopoly. What is the best way to tackle this and try to remove it?

Thanks,

Eric

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

Major Ball Swirl all over my Monopoly. What is the best way to tackle this and try to remove it?
Thanks,
Eric

How crazy do you want to go? Are you tearing the playfield down?

#3 5 years ago

PinMonk - not tearing it down, it's quite bad near the center of the playfield.

Game was on location for a long time, picked it up last night.

When I changed the batteries, it had a lot of plays:

IMG_3484 (resized).JPGIMG_3484 (resized).JPG

#5 5 years ago

Tried novus 2 yet?

Monopoly seems to get very dirty for some reason

#6 5 years ago

vireland - not tearing it down, it's quite bad near the center of the playfield.
Game was on location for a long time, picked it up last night.
When I changed the batteries, it had a lot of plays:

I'd just do magic eraser plus rubbing alcohol then.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'd just do magic eraser plus rubbing alcohol then.

Alcohol is going to dissolve the clear

#8 5 years ago

pic of the ball swirl?

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Does alcohol dissolve modern clears?

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Never has for me on a modern Stern. You can use water, but then you have planking danger if there are cracks through the clear and the wood takes up the water. The magic eraser will remove more clear than the alcohol. If you don't go crazy with either, it should be fine. Do a small unobtrusive area first if you're not sure.

Once it's cleaned up, though, definitely give it a couple coats of wax to keep it protected.

I agree that it would be nice to see a picture of the ball swirl so it's clear how bad/not bad it really is.

#11 5 years ago

I've heard using 91% isopropyl alcohol and a magic eraser, but it spooks me, worried I will damage clear coat or color.

Also, I have tried Novus 2.

IMG_3501 (resized).JPGIMG_3501 (resized).JPG
IMG_3502 (resized).JPGIMG_3502 (resized).JPG
IMG_3503 (resized).JPGIMG_3503 (resized).JPG

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Does alcohol dissolve modern clears?

If it didn't then how would it help clean where novus can't? Light abrasives are one thing but I get worried any time there's a chemical reaction involved

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

If it didn't then how would it help clean where novus can't? Light abrasives are one thing but I get worried any time there's a chemical reaction involved

The 91% alcohol is just to provide quickly evaporating moisture for the magic eraser, so it does the job and goes away.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The 91% alcohol is just to provide quickly evaporating moisture for the magic eraser, so it does the job and goes away.

If that's it, then great, but whenever using any chemical you should always be testing under the apron first

#15 5 years ago

I've heard using 91% isopropyl alcohol and a magic eraser, but it spooks me, worried I will damage clear coat or color.

You won't get color until/unless you rub through the clear, so if you're getting color, you have a bigger general problem with the Monopoly PF.

Don't fret. Just get some 91% rubbing alcohol and a magic eraser and go to town on a small semi-hidden area first (maybe by the pop bumpers or the left upper side), trying clockwise and counterclockwise motions to get the funk out. You will likely be fine, then amazed once you give the whole PF a once-over. Let it air out when you're done for a day or so, get some Marco white rubber on there (better bounce, and black rubber really dirties up a PF fast), then a couple coats of wax and you're good.

#16 5 years ago

Start out just dragging the Magic Eraser along. Then a little more pressure. The Magic Eraser will enter the ball dimples and clean the black stuff out. Remember you are not trying to remove 12 years of rust off of Pinball Legs. Rub to hard and you will lose parts of the top surface of the playfield.

#17 5 years ago

Thanks for all your help guys, I'm just going to have to grow a pair, hold my breath and use the alcohol and magic eraser.

#18 5 years ago

Thanks for all your help guys, I'm just going to have to grow a pair, hold my breath and use the alcohol and magic eraser.

Did you try novus?

#19 5 years ago

zacaj - tried novus 2.

#20 5 years ago

Pinhedz Playfield Cleaner may be worth a shot.

#21 5 years ago

I would use Novus2 with an old toothbrush. Probably not gonna help much. Magic Eraser and alcohol are not going to hurt it if you start gently and gradually increase the pressure until you start getting results. This being a modern Stern and not a 30 year old solid state you should run very little risk of removing any paint. Follow up with wax and it will look great.

#22 5 years ago

I've never had any luck removing ball swirl with magic eraser and alcohol. I've tried fairly vigorously, but was too scared to apply really hard pressure, too scared I would break through the clear. So I'll be interested to see how this goes with the Monopoly. Good luck and let us know.

#23 5 years ago

What applicators are you using also? I've had Great success with just Novus 3 and 2. One of the Best applicators is a Q-tip. Oh its hell on your fingers but the fibers really dig in and grab the dirt. I also like to use shop towels with the Novus because it doesn't just absorb all the Cleaning solution with shop towels you can work the Novus in after I use the Q-tips and Shop towels with the Novus I use a micro fiber cloth as that will polish it back nice and smooth.
Magic eraser and alcohol is great but you have to be careful with it, that is basically sand paper. I have some in my cleaning box also but I only use it now to clean plungers when working on coils I just haven't had to use it on playfields since I've started using Q-tips and Shop Towels to clean then micro fiber cloth to polish.
Also remember you still have to wax after all this cleaning

#24 5 years ago

Go for the gusto and get 99% alcohol. Most pharmacies can order it in for you. Costs about twice as much as the on-shelf 71% stuff. Good stuff.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Go for the gusto and get 99% alcohol.

How is that different from the denatured alcohol in the solvent aisle of the hardware store? That’s what I’ve been using for years, and it’s great.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

How is that different from the denatured alcohol in the solvent aisle of the hardware store? That’s what I’ve been using for years, and it’s great.

Google Search?

https://sciencing.com/denatured-alcohol-vs-isopropyl-alcohol-5519636.html

Uses for Different Alcohols
After producers add bittering agents, denatured alcohol becomes more toxic than isopropyl alcohol. Additionally, some of the additive chemicals can harm a human's skin. As such, it rarely finds use in medical settings.

Isopropyl alcohol, on the other hand, can be found in most hospitals and medicine cabinets. It's relatively mild effect on human skin also means cosmetic makers add it to products like hand lotions. Similarly, isopropyl alcohol can be safely used to clean electronic components, unlike denatured alcohol.

When denatured alcohol evaporates, it leaves behind a residue that can affect the sensitive parts of a computer. Similarly, some of the other chemicals in denatured alcohol can be corrosive to plastics. Denatured alcohol can also be found in cosmetics, but most often it finds use as an industrial chemical. Denatured alcohol can be used as fuel for stoves and lamps. Both types of alcohols can be used as solvents and, in some cases, disinfectants.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Google Search?

Thanks. Sorry, wasn't trying to be facetious or anything, just curious. I was always under the impression that denatured alcohol was really just Ethyl Alcohol and Methyl Alcohol, which while the methyl alcohol is definitely more poisonous than straight iso, I never really thought it would make a difference on a playfield.

I'll have to source out 99% iso and give it a shot.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Thanks. Sorry, wasn't trying to be facetious or anything, just curious. I was always under the impression that denatured alcohol was really just Ethyl Alcohol and Methyl Alcohol, which while the methyl alcohol is definitely more poisonous than straight iso, I never really thought it would make a difference on a playfield.
I'll have to source out 99% iso and give it a shot.

Don't worry about it. I learn many things on this board from being challenged.

#29 5 years ago

The 99% alcohol is what I use. I get it free from work! I also use it to clean plungers, coil sleeves, rubbers, etc. The stuff is great.

#30 5 years ago

You might also want to try Naptha and a clean rag. There is dirt and probably wax in those cracks. Naptha will help break down the wax (dewax) and clean at the same time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
4,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fishers, IN
$ 12.95
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ball-swirl-removal-on-monopoly?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.