(Topic ID: 108679)

Ball Save Precursor? 1952 Gottlieb Quartette (Woodrail)

By Carl_694

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Carl_694
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

So I recently picked up a 1952 Quartette and ran into what I "thought" was a problem (still sorta not sure).

Background: From what I can tell, there are two ways to win free games. One is by scoring traditional "points" to a pre-set level, let's say 2.3 million. You can also win by scoring a different type of point that's only earned by completing certain actions.

Namely, There are four holes vertically in the middle of the playfield where the balls can drop and be held in the holes. Once a ball goes into the whole, you get regular points and the corresponding color pop bumper lights up. If you then hit the corresponding pop, you can get that different "type" of point that is the second avenue toward winning a free game.

Importantly: The balls, once in the holes on the playfield, are released whenever a new game is started. They then travel through a metal trough back to the below-playfield plunger trough, where a player can elevate and shoot them. There's also a metal gate behind the flippers at the top of the machine where lost balls sit until a new game is started. It seems the flippers are always energized.

I noticed when I first started playing a buzzing noise from a coil, and realized that the four vertical holes and metal gate below the flippers were staying open. At first I thought this was a problem, so I lifted the playfield and began to poke around. I could see nothing that was sticking (though I do need to do some work on that noisy coil).

In pulling the schematic, it appears that the metal gate and ball holes are supposed to stay open until you hit 100,000 points. This seems to me like it's supposed to be some sort of ball save to ensure you get at least some points on the machine.

Questions: Has anyone ever seen that before? Is it normal for flippers to stay energized between games? This machine has four small flippers, in two pairs, at the bottom of the playfield. Really neat design.

#2 9 years ago

Dual scoring on 50's Gottliebs was used on a various games. So there's the 'score' system, and then there's the 'points' system, with separate steppers for each, and separate replay adjustment plugs for setting the levels.

The earlier games don't have a Game Over relay, so the playfield remains active. What prevents it from still being played is the balls all having drained.

Going by memory from similar games (not Quartette), the gate would close after scoring either 10K or 100K (I think). But the schematic would be the best source.

They're called 'trap holes' (as opposed to 'gobble holes', where the ball falls directly through and are not held).

#3 9 years ago

Awesome! Thanks...Now just got to fix those noisy solenoids...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ball-save-precursor-1952-gottlieb-quartette-woodrail and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.