• 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Gott1978
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ball return  (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gott1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

My Close Encounters of the Third Kind (SS) ball return sometimes fails to return the ball on the first effort. It will return the ball normally for several times then take 2,3, or 4 efforts before the ball makes it over the rise in the track. This has gotten progressively worse over time. I removed the apron and watched the return and it appears that on those occasions when the ball is not returned the first time that the kicker effort is noticeably weaker and varies from time to time. Both the plunger return spring and the lower spring seem OK. The outhole is lined with metal and does not appear to be worn. The base plate also appears to be in good condition. Any suggestions are welcome.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Find the switch that pulses the outhole coil.
It will be a motor switch.
Use a flexstone file to clean up the points and ensure the switch gap is closing as it should.
Retest.
Do you have schematics?
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

The switch points looked good; I lightly cleaned them anyway. The switch gap closed as it should. The return is still the same as before. I have the schematics in the original instruction manual.

Is it possible that the coil is starting to fail? It looks good and seems to operate fine. Or could one of the springs be getting weak?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Did you check the connector fingers (contact pins) at the driver board?
It should be A3J4-6 (A3=driverboard J4=connector -6 is the pin).
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Tech_Charts/Gottlieb_Close_Encounters_Tech_Chart.pdf
Did you do any of the ground upgrades?
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_1#Ground_Updates
Peter
www.inkochnito.nl

I checked the pins on the driver board and they look good. The power supply has been replaced with Rottendog, the control board has been replaced with Ni-Wumpf, and the original driver board is in place with ground wire installed.

Is it possible that the coil is just starting to fail? It is the correct coil per the original manual and it looks fine.

Or could one of the springs be getting weaker?

#6 4 years ago

I may have discovered the cause of the ball return failure, but am unsure about how best to correct it. I attached a screen shot from a video of the ball return with the apron removed. It appears that the ball cam (lever) used to launch the ball sends the ball off to the side of the chute, causing the ball to bounce off the side of the chute instead of throwing it in a straight line, decreasing the force of the throw. You can hear the ball bouncing off the side of the chute when it is launched. The chute on the lower (right) side has a distinct wear pattern where the ball has hit it numerous times. Would it help to bend the lever? If so, what is the best way to do so without potentially breaking it? Is there another way to correct the throw, short of replacing the mechanism?

ball return  (resized).pngball return (resized).png
#8 4 years ago
Quoted from rufessor:

I have adjusted similar kickers in the past to aim them a bit better. My first try is to examine the mech and to determine if I can slightly rotate the entire thing a few degrees using whatever slack may exist between the screw shafts and the mounting holes. Typicaly this is non productive because it is tight and cannot effectively be moved.
That leads me to break out my largest pliers/vice grip and a towel... having disassembled the mechansim first, you can in fact bend it a bit. Be careful.
Its never clear to me how it gets out of adjustment in the first place and I have never felt good about doing this as it would seem there is a better way ... but I have not found one.
Curious what others recommend

Thanks for your advice. As you said, I could not rotate the mechanism; it was tight. I'm going to hold off a bit on bending the kicker until I can resolder the power connections to the kicker; they are only weakly soldered and may be contributing to the problem. I'll provide an update later on.

1 week later
#9 4 years ago

I resoldered the connections to the kicker and that made a significant improvement. Now it only rarely takes more than one attempt to get the ball to the shooter. But I believe the kicker may still need to be bent. Has anyone tried to bend a kicker while it is still in place, perhaps with it pushed up into the eject position?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gott1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ball-return-issue-with-1978-gottlieb-pin?tu=Gott1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.