Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Pin_Guy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Hi Guys. Glad to have found this site! I acquired the Williams Star Trek NG game about a year ago and have restoring it on my own with great success. However, I have discovered that my ball never makes it to the borg ship because it is ALWAYS diverted upon entering the left ramp. Any ideas why this is happening? The actuator that diverts it activates upon the ball entering the ramp, otherwise, it is always behind the board in the rest state. The ball has enough momentum to make it to the ship. Both my Borg Lock and Borg Entry Switches are being shown as closed, regularly, which I believe is normal. Otherwise, the game seems to play normally. Thanks for the help!

Also, is there a way to easily follow all posts on this site regarding this game?

#2 1 year ago

I'd start by going into Tests - Switch Edge , and trigger switches involved. See if the correct one registers on the DMD. To be sure you don't have a switch or connector mixed up.

LTG : )

#3 1 year ago

it only enters the borg ship during multiball.

#4 1 year ago

And did you run a coil test on the diverter?

#5 1 year ago

It also enters when the lock light on the ramp is lit.

#6 1 year ago

I still say that's the hardest shot in pinball !

#7 1 year ago

If your diverter isn't opening when the ramp shot is lit for lock, it could be one of several things...

Diverter is gummed up. Very common. Both STTNG I owned had this issue. Both were NASTY and needed to be cleaned and rebuilt with the typical expendable stuff (coil sleeves etc) to function properly.

Ramp entrance switch is intermittent or not working. If the game doesn't see that first switch, it doesn't open the diverter, IIRC.

FYI...optical switches are "normally closed." Borg Entry (swithch 48) is an opto. In switch test, stick you finger in the side of the ship. It should then show as "open" because you've cut the beam. I don't remember where "Borg Lock" is, unless it's the one under the shell where the locked ball sits to the right side of the entry. You might have to take the shell off to explore that one.

There's a crapton of optos on STTNG, and failure of one or two of them can cause a whole bunch of fun issues, and the borg lock itself for the ship only opens in specific uses, like during multiball, or after you've lit a lock but NOT collected the lock via the right orbit. I'm pretty sure once you take a right orbit lock, the borg lock is no longer available at all until that multiball is played, but it's been a while so I may not be 100% accurate on that. If all your optos work, play around with it, the rules are odd.

#8 1 year ago

To easily follow your thread there are three tabs at the top just under the blue forum topic bar. Just click on the one that says 'Topics" then click on the one that says 'Topics which you started' to go to your thread.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from BizPop:

. . . Also, is there a way to easily follow all posts on this site regarding this game?

You can follow/visit the STTNG "club" thread here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club

Or all threads that have been "linked to" Star Trek: The Next Generation:
https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/star-trek-the-next-generation/forum

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Astill:

it only enters the borg ship during multiball.

This is partially correct as the diverter is normally open to the Borg ship and closes when you make this ramp shot if you are either NOT in Borg multiball or when the ramp Lock is NOT lit (Lock 1 only?). Of course, both of these condition must be set are are usually not met; when either of these are active, the corresponding LOCK or Jackpot light will be lit on the Delta Ramp.

Quoted from ecmurrayf1:

It also enters when the lock light on the ramp is lit.

Quoted from BizPop:

The actuator that diverts it activates upon the ball entering the ramp, otherwise, it is always behind the board in the rest state. The ball has enough momentum to make it to the ship. Both my Borg Lock and Borg Entry Switches are being shown as closed, regularly, which I believe is normal. Otherwise, the game seems to play normally.

Everything you describe here indicates normal operation of your machine; however, you WILL get a credit dot and switch error if you are not actually able to make this shot as the game assumes something is wrong since the lock is never made. The only fix action for this is more practice

Good luck.

#11 1 year ago

Thanks everyone! I won't try to respond to everyone but know that I have considered everyone's comments. Here's what I know:

Switches are working fine and connected to the right places. I did the finger test before you even mentioned it and everything seems to be registering right.

The diverter works just fine and is not gummed up... it just seems to ALWAYS activate when going up the ramp.

I did not know in which conditions the diverter is NOT supposed to divert! In fact for the past year it never occurred to me that the Delta Quadrant ramp was the third light lock (since the lock light was not on the playfield board like the other two)! I'll have to watch the light above the ramp and test it when the light lock light is on.

Which brings up a new question.... what causes (what sequence is required for) this light lock to activate? Or any light lock for that matter? I haven't figured this out!

Thanks everyone!

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from Frax:

If your diverter isn't opening when the ramp shot is lit for lock, it could be one of several things...
Diverter is gummed up. Very common. Both STTNG I owned had this issue. Both were NASTY and needed to be cleaned and rebuilt with the typical expendable stuff (coil sleeves etc) to function properly.

This. 1000%. In fact, disassemble and clean ALL the diverters in the game. They're probably all gross and slow and/or non functional. The last STTNG I did was a whole different game with cleaned/rebuilt diverters.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from BizPop:

The diverter works just fine and is not gummed up... it just seems to ALWAYS activate when going up the ramp.

If I remember right (don't have a STTNG at the moment) that upper diverter is always supposed to activate to divert to the wireform return EXCEPT when you shoot for the ship. Then it's NOT going to activate to allow the ball into the ship.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from BizPop:

Which brings up a new question.... what causes (what sequence is required for) this light lock to activate? Or any light lock for that matter? I haven't figured this out!

Hitting the drop target above the pops lights lock. I just played a game to refresh my memory on the Delta lock, it was ONLY lit for the first ball lock. And was lit again during Borg multiball to score the Borg Jackpot bonus.

#15 1 year ago

steve ritchie says:

PLAY BETTER!!!

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

If I remember right (don't have a STTNG at the moment) that upper diverter is always supposed to activate to divert to the wireform return EXCEPT when you shoot for the ship. Then it's NOT going to activate to allow the ball into the ship.

Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Hitting the drop target above the pops lights lock. I just played a game to refresh my memory on the Delta lock, it was ONLY lit for the first ball lock. And was lit again during Borg multiball to score the Borg Jackpot bonus.

These are correct. You'd think they'd have designed it to only fire for the LEAST needed function, not the most, but B/W weren't half as brilliant as people remember sometimes..

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from Frax:

These are correct. You'd think they'd have designed it to only fire for the LEAST needed function, not the most, but B/W weren't half as brilliant as people remember sometimes..

Yeah, it seemed really dumb to be grinding all that excessive wear when the opposite condition for the diverter rules would have reduced wear and tear by like 95% or more.

#18 1 year ago

OK folks... here is my problem... Apparently I never get the light lock to light up above the Delta Quadrant ramp. It blinks when something major happens, but it never lights to indicate a light lock on that ramp.

I'm a very good player... regularly in the billions of points, so it isn't my playing skills.

Does anyone know why, then, I never get this option? Thanks!

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from BizPop:

OK folks... here is my problem... Apparently I never get the light lock to light up above the Delta Quadrant ramp. It blinks when something major happens, but it never lights to indicate a light lock on that ramp.
I'm a very good player... regularly in the billions of points, so it isn't my playing skills.
Does anyone know why, then, I never get this option? Thanks!

Does your single drop target above and to the left of the rollover lanes work (up and hold and auto release - not just up/down). Do you have a credit dot?

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Does your single drop target above and to the left of the rollover lanes work (up and hold and auto release - not just up/down). Do you have a credit dot?

Thanks Vireland. I do have an error on the test report for switch 57 which is the drop target. After inspection, I realized that the switch was just barely NOT being pressed. I bent the switches arm slightly to fix it and now it's registering! So now when I use the delta ramp during the borg play, it now enters the borg ship and spits it out! Yea!!!

However, I've been playing it for a while and still haven't seen the left light lock light come on. Any ideas how to activate this light lock?

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from BizPop:

Thanks Vireland. I do have an error on the test report for switch 57 which is the drop target. After inspection, I realized that the switch was just barely NOT being pressed. I bent the switches arm slightly to fix it and now it's registering! So now when I use the delta ramp during the borg play, it now enters the borg ship and spits it out! Yea!!!
However, I've been playing it for a while and still haven't seen the left light lock light come on. Any ideas how to activate this light lock?

I'm going from memory here since I've had this pin a number of times but don't have it right now. I just know that the single drop target is a problem on literally every one I've ever shopped, and it's KEY to the game working properly for a number of reasons. Getting that working right (registering both up and down AND the mini-coil-driven auto-drop mechanism that falls off the target bracket commonly) solves a LOT of problems. Does the target work right in the test mode (both reset (to up position) and automatic-drop)?

Does the lock light illuminate in the test mode for lights?

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from BizPop:

Also, is there a way to easily follow all posts on this site regarding this game?

If you haven't already been to the STTNG owners forum, it's defiantly worth your time to look over it...there is a plethora of useful information there related to this specific title.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club

#23 1 year ago

I was lucky..I had two STTNG and zero drop target/tieback issues LOL.

That said.. if you're shooting the right orbit to light the first or second lock, and the ball bounces back into the upper hole, or you biff the shot to the ramp, you'll never see the ball divert to the borg ship. AFAIK, you can ONLY lock in the ship on lock one or two (might be just the first one!?), and you always HAVE to shoot the right orbit into the subway for the third lock, and I *think* if the ball doesn't make it up into the ship, then the lock gets awarded anyways at the first switch on the ramp, which...turns off the lock.

Might be dumb but I'd also check the lamp for that insert for the left ramp.

Annoying that anyone with the game on Pinball Arcade hasn't just fired it up to verify...I'd do it but it's on my PS3, not my PS4, and I ain't paying for that garbage twice.

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from Frax:

Annoying that anyone with the game on Pinball Arcade hasn't just fired it up to verify...

I fired my machine up (works perfectly) and posted earlier that it only offered Borg lock on the first lock. One thing I didn't try though, was selecting the Lock Ball award when launching the first ball to see if it would then offer the Borg lock as lock 2. I may do this tonight...

#25 1 year ago

Hey all,

The drop target works perfect. It goes up when it needs to, is pulled down when it needs to, and falls down automatically upon tapping it correctly with the ball.

One thing I've noticed in many people's responses is that it seems, to me, that most people equate Lock 1 with the delta ramp, Lock 2 with the Neutral Zone hole, and Lock 3 with the drop target hole in the back.... as if the locks are offered in that order. In actuality, I've been getting all three of my Light Locks from the drop target hole in the back. Every now and then (but rarely), the Neutral Zone Light Lock will activate. Even when I select the Light Lock option at the beginning of the game play, it lights up the drop-target Light Lock. Is it a setting I've selected?

I'll add that my test report is still telling me to check switch 57 (drop target). Does that eventually go away after so much play-time when the machine realizes that it is working properly now, or do I really still have some kind of issue with it?

Thanks everyone!

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from BizPop:

Hey all,
The drop target works perfect. It goes up when it needs to, is pulled down when it needs to, and falls down automatically upon tapping it correctly with the ball.
One thing I've noticed in many people's responses is that it seems, to me, that most people equate Lock 1 with the delta ramp, Lock 2 with the Neutral Zone hole, and Lock 3 with the drop target hole in the back.... as if the locks are offered in that order. In actuality, I've been getting all three of my Light Locks from the drop target hole in the back. Every now and then (but rarely), the Neutral Zone Light Lock will activate. Even when I select the Light Lock option at the beginning of the game play, it lights up the drop-target Light Lock. Is it a setting I've selected?
I'll add that my test report is still telling me to check switch 57 (drop target). Does that eventually go away after so much play-time when the machine realizes that it is working properly now, or do I really still have some kind of issue with it?
Thanks everyone!

It should clear as soon as you get the target working right in up, down and auto-down mode. Have you tried raising and lowering the target in the coil test mode using just the two coils?

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I fired my machine up (works perfectly) and posted earlier that it only offered Borg lock on the first lock. One thing I didn't try though, was selecting the Lock Ball award when launching the first ball to see if it would then offer the Borg lock as lock 2.

It does, by selecting the lock award at ball launch, as soon as I activated the 2nd ball lock (by hitting the drop target) I had the option to lock at either Delta Ramp, or right orbit lock.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 64.99
$ 50.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside