(Topic ID: 218642)

50's Williams Ball Lift Assembly removal?

By PinballFever

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180610_185316849 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180610_185355150_LL (resized).jpg
IMG_20180608_180853860 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180607_205308355 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180606_194016129_LL (resized).jpg
IMG_20180606_194457964_LL (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Stoomer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago

Is that Grand Champion still Bruce? Answer: YES! lol - I see now you linked it...

I can't recall doing one like that, but I'm sure I have at least one game from that vintage cabinet I can look at later and see if it rings any bells on how that particular version comes apart...

Sean

#3 5 years ago

I have two projects I'm working on right now...one is a 51 WLMS Shoot The Moon, and I thought maybe these two games are the same - but alas, they used the "mini-beehive" type on STM, and looks like they switched to the GC style with Paratroopers in 52.

I definitely have project games from that era with the GC type, but none of those are apart right now. I'd assume they just changed the outer piece, and they attach the same, but I'll try to check it out later. I vaguely remember the STM one being a bastard to get apart...I'll likely recall more about it when I get it all in front of me.

Sean

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

YES it is Sean! It's my *only* grail pinball that took over 40 years to find but better late than never!

Much appreciated.
Bruce

I did finally make it out to the barn last night, but none of the games I have that employ that style ball-lift were easily accessible, and none had that assembly already disassembled. I meant to look in my parts bins when I got back to the house for one of these, but my absent-minded brain lost that idea on the way back. Welcome to my world...

I also checked my Shoot The Moon, which is all apart as I said, and that uses the mini-beehive style Williams used on earlier pins. That one definitely threads on...but that style is attached on the inside with a big nut...way different than this "backing plate" we see on your GC.

Thinking back I guess I've never done a Williams game that has this style...I don't like the looks of that - it looks pressed or stamped on. But I can't imagine them doing that with the cabinet in between, so I think it's more likely that fixture was stamped/pressed when it was off the machine, and since the style right before this was threaded, hopefully this one is too.

If it's not one piece all the way through, and threaded somehow, there should be a gap/seam inside the channel that the rod slides through. If you can find that, then at least you'd know they come apart.

You could also call Steve Young...he may have some insight on this - I know he's got games like this, and maybe has the parts manuals that potentially also show the breakdown of this assembly.

I look in my parts bins...maybe!! LOL...if I can keep that thought in my head that is...

Sean

#15 5 years ago

Ah-ha!! It goes all the way through!! Of course...

I'm glad you got to the bottom of it...I have done a game like this now that I see it...although I can't recall which one. I remember the way the rod comes apart better than the sleeve removal for some reason...

Thanks for posting the solution...

Sean

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Stoomer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ball-lift-holder-removal?tu=Stoomer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.