7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Zitt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170424_132237 (resized).jpg
    20170424_131934 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

No, nothing to do with Speedos or your wife's purse....

As a new pinball owner, I find the clumsiest part of working my machine is popping the balls out and putting them in a safe place. Typically they would go in my pocket, precariously on any flat surface within arms reach, or just haphazardly inside the cabinet. Separately, I have been trying to find a better storage solution for my new and used pinballs that seem to multiply in the coin box where I had had been keeping them. Thankfully I managed to solve both problems with a 3D printed ball container.

For capturing balls out of the machine, it's a simple matter of dropping the container in the launch channel, tilting the PF and kicking the solenoid. They all roll gently into place.

20170424_131934 (resized).jpg20170424_131934 (resized).jpg

For storage purposes, I have printed multiple containers with different colored lids to indicate new/used/polished or whatever.

20170424_132237 (resized).jpg20170424_132237 (resized).jpg

While trying to come up with my own design, I found a configurable container on Thingiverse and fiddled with the dimensions. I am happy to send the stl files with anybody who wants them, just shoot me a PM. This is probably the most boring mod ever posted, but I have found them fantastically useful and wanted to share.

-Rob

#2 7 years ago

I wouldn't say boring... just trying to figure out what keeps the balls and the container in place.
    My issue is I tend to lift the PF regularly and would want some kind of "mount" to keep it and the balls in place.

For me; I have PinGlups... so I generally just put the balls in that when working on it.

#3 7 years ago

Ah right. As designed now, I keep a finger behind the container while the other hand is popping the solenoid. I have thought about increasing the outer diameter a bit so it would be a friction fit and would stay put on its own. Obviously once it is full, I screw the lid on and put the container in the cabinet. Originally I was only worried about a storage container, the idea of putting them in the shooting lane was an after thought.

Now, the question for you is, how the heck do you work on your machine and drink beer at the same time?

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from RobF:

work on your machine and drink beer at the same time?

Beer and technical work on a machine don't mix.
    Truth be told; I'm a control freak... and never got into the "Adult Beverage" thing.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Beer and technical work on a machine don't mix.
    Truth be told; I'm a control freak... and never got into the "Adult Beverage" thing.

Fair enough...but now I wonder why you added a pingulp

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from RobF:

Fair enough...but now I wonder why you added a pingulp

TPF - Don't leave it up to the general public to be kind to the machines.

And I do use the holder for tools, bottled soda, etc.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ball-holders?hl=robf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.