Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Nepi23
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Have a look at this video - is this normal behaviour, when ball enters Merlin's hole, there is
some sort of a cracking "electrostatic" sound? What might be causing it? Thanks for any help!

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Have a look at this video - is this normal behaviour, when ball enters Merlin's hole, there is
some sort of a cracking "electrostatic" sound? What might be causing it? Thanks for any help!
» YouTube video

It was hard to hear but it sounded like the VUK was firing. I would guess you may have a low 12 volt unregulated or a switch matrix problem.

#3 7 years ago

Thanks! I am a total newbie when it comes to issues like this. Any tips what I should look for?
It has been working ok, but now it started to do this after we moved the pin.

#4 7 years ago

Measure the voltage of the 12 volt unregulated. It is TP103. I think it should be around 13.6 volts

#5 7 years ago

Friend, who is very good at electronics, visits tomorrow, so we'll do some measuring work then, thanks!

We carried the pin from downstairs to upstairs with playfield removed, so perhaps there is some loose wire
in some connector to the backbox... Any tips, which connectors should be checked?

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Friend, who is very good at electronics, visits tomorrow, so we'll do some measuring work then, thanks!
We carried the pin from downstairs to upstairs with playfield removed, so perhaps there is some loose wire
in some connector to the backbox... Any tips, which connectors should be checked?

Check the connections to the 10 opto board. It is near the middle of the bottom of the playfield and is mounted perpendicular. That may be it since you took the playfield out.

#7 7 years ago

Thanks for the tip, will do that

#8 7 years ago

Nope, it was not that, connections seemed to be ok. But I am sure there is some similar problem going on here.

#9 7 years ago

I found the culprit. It was the illuminated backboard Once disconnected, everything was like I've used to.
It may be that the illuminated board should work like that, but to me the sound was strange.

#10 7 years ago

What kind of Illuminated backboard light are you running? Is it off the 12v? We sell them and they run off 6v, never had a problem reported. Very surprised even off 12v that it would cause an issue. How did you tap into the game's power?

#11 7 years ago

Its really strange that many people do not even hear the "static" sound. I have come to the conclusion that it most probably was the change of location and that some of the acoustics in the room changed, so that's why I hear the sound. The leds lighting the board is this set: http://www.pinballdecals.com/PlexiBoard_LEDLightKitsPage.html
It taps into three connectors on the backboard J138, J105 and J111.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wolcott, CT
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods
Decals
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz
Other
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods
Decals
$ 64.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade
Unisex
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe
Cabinet parts
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ball-goes-to-merlins-hole-strange-crackling-sound-lights-flicker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.