Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Fast400
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

I have a Gottlieb Neptune that's in excellent shape...but I feel something is not working quite as it should. It's set to 5 ball play. After the 5th ball the game is over, but it kicks the ball out anyway. I know it must be a simple fix...
Anyone run into this?

#2 1 year ago

ball count unit (bottom stepper in head), two bottom wipers tell the machine you are on ball 5. And if they dont make good contact then the stepper doesnt get plused first before it returns the ball and the trough switch then advances the stepper to game over.

so clean the bottom two wiper contacts. Sometimes the lead to rivet connection can be loose which can cause the issue as well. you can wiggle the solder connection and see if its loose.

One fast check I do, with the stepper on ball 5, is put a jumper on the bottom to solder lugs (simulating the wiper connection) and test a ball draining. if it does GO then you know its the wiper issue. and you can repeatedly test this by moving the stepper up one by manually hitting the plunger etc.

#3 1 year ago

Someone posted a write-up about this exact problem maybe 5-6 years ago. Was it Dirt Flipper? Will see if I can find it in the archives.

#5 1 year ago
#6 1 year ago

wow i was just about to look this up. I am having the same issue on a card whiz. Gotta love Pinside.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from Astill:

wow i was just about to look this up. I am having the same issue on a card whiz. Gotta love Pinside.

A multiplayer machine (unless you have the Italian Card Whiz) is a different animal - no ball count unit. The player unit, last ball relay and end of game relay inhibit the end of game kickout.

#8 1 year ago

I had the same issue with my 1974 Top Card for the first 6 months I had the game. It never really bothered me but I did notice that others had this problem with single player Gottliebs.

My Top Card did have loose wipers on the Ball Count Unit when I got it and a bad solder joint on the step up coil. I fixed those problems but it still would go into Game Over and kick the ball out after the last ball.

It seems like even in that other thread that this behavior is hard to pin down even after identifying everything in the path that could cause it. Mine just happened to go away all by itself and has never come back and I’m wondering if that doesn’t provide a small clue to what type of issue causes this in the first place.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

ball count unit (bottom stepper in head), two bottom wipers tell the machine you are on ball 5. And if they dont make good contact then the stepper doesnt get plused first before it returns the ball and the trough switch then advances the stepper to game over.
so clean the bottom two wiper contacts. Sometimes the lead to rivet connection can be loose which can cause the issue as well. you can wiggle the solder connection and see if its loose.
One fast check I do, with the stepper on ball 5, is put a jumper on the bottom to solder lugs (simulating the wiper connection) and test a ball draining. if it does GO then you know its the wiper issue. and you can repeatedly test this by moving the stepper up one by manually hitting the plunger etc.

Thanks! I'll give it a shot and report back

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jackson, KY
2,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, NC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.