5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

I'm having a very unusual issue with Metallica. It's only happened two times, but can't seem to put my finger on it. I'll be playing (it's been ball 3 both times) and all of a sudden, the flippers die and the game starts counting the bonus.

My assumption is that it would be the back switch in the trough going closed from vibration. I pulled one ball, so the switch was open and started banging on the play field, side of the cabinet, etc and never once saw the switch trip.

Anything else I should look at?

#2 5 years ago

Oh judging by the title I thought this was about something else.

#3 5 years ago

Reseat the connectors to the ball trough.

#4 5 years ago

Very common issue w/Sterns. There are two opto boards in the trough and when those get iffy it can cause all sorts of weird intermittent behavior, including what you describe.

Reseating the connectors usually solves the issue, at least in the short term. Board repair (reflowing solder) or replacement (they’re pretty cheap) may be necessary in the future.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from jitneystand1:

Very common issue w/Sterns. There are two opto boards in the trough and when those get iffy it can cause all sorts of weird intermittent behavior, including what you describe.
Reseating the connectors usually solves the issue, at least in the short term. Board repair (reflowing solder) or replacement (they’re pretty cheap) may be necessary in the future.

There is only one small opto board in the trough, all the others are physical switches. It looks like the opto board is only for the ball sitting on top of the plunger. I would think that the last switch would control the game "seeing" all balls back in the trough and ending the game, not the one sitting on the plunger. That would remove the opto board from the equation.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#6 5 years ago

The answer is very clearly laid out in this thread. Reseating your connectors (there's one in the front and one in the back) will fix this problem ~90% of the time. Other possibilities: the balls are magnetized, a bulb or something else is jammed in the trough.

#7 5 years ago

It’s probably a ball trough issue. It happened to my transformers and I just reseated the connectors and it fixed it

#8 5 years ago

There are two opto boards, one on each side of the trough. Re-seat both connectors.

If the connector is loose and the light breaks, the machine thinks there is another ball in the through/VUK, regardless if the out hole switch was triggered.

The machine counts balls in the assembly, it doesn't look just at the last switch.

Since you are getting the bonus count-down, it isn't a reset, the machine thinks you drained a ball.

As others have said this is almost a certainty.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

If the connector is loose and the light breaks, the machine thinks there is another ball in the through/VUK, regardless if the out hole switch was triggered.

The machine counts balls in the assembly, it doesn't look just at the last switch

That makes sense. Thank you for the explanation. My assumption was that the game would only care about the last switch and would ignore the others.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

7,600 (OBO)
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 29.95
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ball-ends-early and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.