Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20240106_021957223 (resized).jpg
playfield divot close-up (resized).jpg
53A631B9-C923-406F-A634-9A07D95F50A0 (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

Hello Pinside!

Considering adding a few of these adhesive mylar squares to a 2002 stern playfield (RCT) to a known spot that is prone to wear as a result of a scoop eject (luckily mine has not yet worn). Anyone have long-term experience with using these...benefits/drawbacks? I couldn't find any threads that address these specifically but if one does exists we can delete this post. Thanks for any/all insight!

https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=137

#2 1 year ago

Stern adds them to most of the latest games themselves.... Clean the area thoroughly, and if you want the mylar to come off easily at some point in the future apply a light coat of wax to the area before application.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Stern adds them to most of the latest games themselves.... Clean the area thoroughly, and if you want the mylar to come off easily at some point in the future apply a light coat of wax to the area before application.

Thanks! Yeah, I see them selectively on my GZ playfield. Good tip on the wax...I wasn't sure if having a wax layer underneath would completely prevent the square from sticking or not.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

this

#5 1 year ago

you can do this or contact kruzman, he sells a low tac mylar that peels up easier.

#6 1 year ago

I have them on all my pin drop areas. Well worth putting them in to save the playfield.

#7 1 year ago

Yeah, they'll still stick with the wax but come up pretty easy later on to replace if needed.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

This is it!
Done it myself, haven’t had them peel up yet on route and it’s been a year.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

This is it!
Done it myself, haven’t had them peel up yet on route and it’s been a year.

that's great to hear...was hoping someone using on routed pins could chime give a report.

I've ordered them and will apply to areas in question with confidence!

#10 1 year ago

I've got about 4k plays on each of my TZ and TAF since I put some mylar spots down, most of those plays coming from pinball shows, zero lifting of them yet. Fantastic playfield savers, those things.

#11 1 year ago

I’ve had playfield swaps done in my TZ, Whirlwind, and AFM. All get Mylar around the pops and under any ball drops. It’s cheap insurance, and I honestly forget it’s even there. I doubt they’ll ever get enough play in my possession to ever warrant the removal of them in my lifetime, and I’m a younger guy obsessed with preservation.

#12 1 year ago

Just placed one outside the scoop (on the carousel top)…thanks again for the help everyone, much appreciated!

53A631B9-C923-406F-A634-9A07D95F50A0 (resized).jpeg53A631B9-C923-406F-A634-9A07D95F50A0 (resized).jpeg
2 months later
#13 1 year ago
Quoted from BlackBelt:Just placed one outside the scoop (on the carousel top)…thanks again for the help everyone, much appreciated!
[quoted image]

That looks good on the Carousel. I have no experience with restoration. Found a divot in the middle of my Mando playfield today, about 2mm x 5mm. I have not noticed any other issues with the PF. Would a dab of dark gray paint on the wood and then cover the spot with a mylar ahesive square be an acceptable fix? If anyone can point me to a how-to video for this, I would appreciate it.

playfield divot close-up (resized).jpgplayfield divot close-up (resized).jpg
8 months later
#14 3 months ago

Are you able to put mylar over magnets? Just got an alien pinball and it's taking a beating by the mouth of the alien

PXL_20240106_021957223 (resized).jpgPXL_20240106_021957223 (resized).jpg

#15 3 months ago
Quoted from BlackBelt:

Hello Pinside!
Considering adding a few of these adhesive mylar squares to a 2002 stern playfield (RCT) to a known spot that is prone to wear as a result of a scoop eject (luckily mine has not yet worn). Anyone have long-term experience with using these...benefits/drawbacks? I couldn't find any threads that address these specifically but if one does exists we can delete this post. Thanks for any/all insight!
https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=137

Wax the area first. No drawbacks. You’ll likely never have to replace the Mylar.

#16 3 months ago
Quoted from Nicoli125:

Are you able to put mylar over magnets? Just got an alien pinball and it's taking a beating by the mouth of the alien
[quoted image]

I’ve done it before. It Mylar doesn’t stop dimples.

#17 3 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’ve done it before. It Mylar doesn’t stop dimples.

I currently have Mylar but it doesn't have adhesive backing. Would really like to play the game this weekend but don't want to do any serious damage would a 3m double-sided tape to the mylar make any playfield damage?(after waxing the area of course) I guess I can deal with the dimples. The magnet scratches from a few games is worrying to say the least. Is that an easily replaceable part? Thanks for the info pretty new to all of this.

#18 3 months ago
Quoted from Nicoli125:

I currently have Mylar but it doesn't have adhesive backing. Would really like to play the game this weekend but don't want to do any serious damage would a 3m double-sided tape to the mylar make any playfield damage?(after waxing the area of course) I guess I can deal with the dimples. The magnet scratches from a few games is worrying to say the least. Is that an easily replaceable part? Thanks for the info pretty new to all of this.

The magnet core will get beat up. Nothing to worry about. It is a replaceable and cheap part if it ever bothers you that much. It will only get beat up again though.

#19 3 months ago
Quoted from Nicoli125:

I would get actual adhesive Mylar. In the meantime, your game will be fine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 18.95
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ball-drop-mylar-adding-adhesive-squares-on-playfield-good-bad?hl=dazedandconfused and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.