lotr switch matrix (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20191126-205101_Gallery (resized).jpg
20190827_214315 (resized).jpg
20190824_161819 (resized).jpg
20190824_162117 (resized).jpg
6614675B-6518-45E8-AA19-D774D0276545 (resized).jpeg
5E7C5B3D-D839-4432-89D2-3F67FD9EDD72 (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

Disclaimer: I’m a noob. I recently acquired a LOTR LE. I’ve noticed recently that the ball will occasionally not register when it drains. Then the machine cycles through switches and bumpers looking for the ball until the timer on the dmd runs its course and the game ends.

What is the most likely cause and solution to resolve this? Thanks in advance!

Also, where do you buy replacement plastics. I also recently had a plastic just to the right of balrog above a bumper snap. I’ll post a pic.

Thanks again!

5E7C5B3D-D839-4432-89D2-3F67FD9EDD72 (resized).jpeg5E7C5B3D-D839-4432-89D2-3F67FD9EDD72 (resized).jpeg6614675B-6518-45E8-AA19-D774D0276545 (resized).jpeg6614675B-6518-45E8-AA19-D774D0276545 (resized).jpeg
#2 5 years ago

Faulty trough boards. Unplug both and plug them back in. If that doesn’t work, replace them, they are very inexpensive.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Undertaker:

Also, where do you buy replacement plastics. I also recently had a plastic just to the right of balrog above a bumper snap.

Marco: Includes clears: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/803-5000-80
PinballLife: https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3663

#4 5 years ago

Thank you both for the advise. I’ll try troubleshooting with the trough boards.

Any chance plastics can purchase anywhere without buying an entire set? If not I may try to reattach that piece somehow for the time being.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Undertaker:

Thank you both for the advise. I’ll try troubleshooting with the trough boards.
Any chance plastics can purchase anywhere without buying an entire set? If not I may try to reattach that piece somehow for the time being.

#6 5 years ago

Lermods, thank you for the advise. I unplugged and replugged the boards yesterday. Had a bunch of people over and played for hours with no unregistered ball drains. Really appreciate it!

1 year later
#7 4 years ago

First post for me!

I have a similar problem where my ball drains and won't register until the machine searches for it(or I hit the flippers, which doesn't make sense to me). On inspection the switches seem to be working fine in registering the ball in the trough.

Also, there is sometimes a large time delay in the machine pushing a new ball into the launch lane. Probably a seperate issue but it is very annoying!

Any help is super appreciated! Thanks!

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Thehammyburgler:

First post for me!
I have a similar problem where my ball drains and won't register until the machine searches for it(or I hit the flippers, which doesn't make sense to me). On inspection the switches seem to be working fine in registering the ball in the trough.
Also, there is sometimes a large time delay in the machine pushing a new ball into the launch lane. Probably a seperate issue but it is very annoying!
Any help is super appreciated! Thanks!

Most ball related issues on this era of games are due to the opto boards in the trough.

#9 4 years ago

See quote below (2nd post of this thread). It is extremely likely this is the cause of both of your stated issues.

Quoted from Lermods:

Faulty trough boards. Unplug both and plug them back in. If that doesn’t work, replace them, they are very inexpensive.

After much experience with a wide array of ball recognition related issues on several Stern titles, I wouldn't waste a minute of my time looking at anything before reseating and, if necessary, replacing the trough opto boards. So many different symptoms when they go bad, and most of the time they seem to test as good since the problem is intermittent.

1 week later
#10 4 years ago

Thanks for the responses guys! Can I get some help with what the opto boards are? Is it one of these? Thanks again!

20190824_161819 (resized).jpg20190824_161819 (resized).jpg20190824_162117 (resized).jpg20190824_162117 (resized).jpg
#11 4 years ago

Thanks for the responses guys! Can I get some help with what the opto boards are? Is it one of these? Thanks again![quoted image][quoted image]

It’s the small green board in your first picture with the three screws. Replace them.

#12 4 years ago

Thanks Pintechev! Will order them tonight

#13 4 years ago

So, I haven't gotten the opto boards in yet, but after thinking about it I thought it must've been the switch that detects the last ball in the trough that is the problem(not sure on lingo).

I bent up the switch lever and now it works like a charm .

It looked like the rest of the switch lever arms had been bent up previously.

Thanks again for all the help guys! I know I will have many more problems in the future.

20190827_214315 (resized).jpg20190827_214315 (resized).jpg
#14 4 years ago

I had this exact problem. Check to see if the ball is resting just above the switch in the trough. Mine were magnetized and replacing them fixed the issue. You can see the balls position through the slit in the trough. I put a small screwdriver through and found that the last ball had about an 1/8” of travel left and then registered the switch.

—Kevin

Didn’t see you fixed it in that last post. Glad to hear! It’s a great game!

#15 4 years ago

I'm surprised the balls can get magnetized. The machine has started looking for a ball occasionally again, but nothing like before. Maybe I need to buy another set too....

2 months later
#16 4 years ago

So my pinball machine is being incredibly annoying. The switch that detects the 4th ball and the one that detects the 1st ball in the sword don't work most of the time. I have replaced them but still to no avail. I also changed the little boards on either side of the trough. Any pointers?

#17 4 years ago

I'm curious if the diodes across the switches can cause problems if they're faulty?

Screenshot_20191126-205101_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20191126-205101_Gallery (resized).jpg
#18 4 years ago

So, a little update. I'm realizing now that several "glitches" in my game are probably all connected. The switch in the trough, sword lock and one of the top lanes work less than %50 of the time. Changing switches doesn't help. I just realized how the wiring matrix works and now understand they are all using the same wire.

Now, my problem is that I can't find any fault in the wire! Any tips on hunting down the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Also, I reset my machine and can't find where to adjust volume. I swear it is gone forever. Anybody know where it is in the menus? Too loud to play with the kids sleeping.

#19 4 years ago

The volume is not in a menu, just press the red and green buttons.

#20 4 years ago

Look for the row or column that contains your faulty switches. Then carefully check all the switches in that row or column. Do any other switches trigger when one is activated? Check for a broken diode lug, that is the most common. Also check that nothing is touching any of the lugs for the switches and diodes. Check for any wires that are loose or have come off.

lotr switch matrix (resized).JPGlotr switch matrix (resized).JPG
#21 4 years ago

I'M SO HAPPY MY GHOST IS DEAD!! Finally found my silly loose connection. My months of adjusting switches and trying to "fix" things is over. It was a connection on my bumper that was loose and messed everything else up.

I got my 3rd highest score after testing out the machine. The game works better with 4 balls and bumpers working properly

Thanks LOTR_breath and everyone else for your help!

20191201_211042 (resized).jpg20191201_211042 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 7.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ball-drain-not-registering-lotr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.