New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 264777)

Ball divet fill in question?

By Jon9508

8 months ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Jon9508
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200323_063622 (resized).jpg

#1 8 months ago

I have a nascar I just got. That game is knowed for airballs. There is 2 good size divets near the flipper i would like to fill in with some thing before I put the play field mylar on. Is there anything I can buy and fill these in. Something kinda transparent. I know a play field swap would be ideal but its nascar you would never recoup the cost when selling. Thanks for the help.

20200323_063622 (resized).jpg
    #2 8 months ago

I don't think those are ball divots, I think someone dropped something heavy on it. Look closely the PF shows small cracks where they are and that would take a lot impact.

I suppose you could fill that with superglue or clear coat but then you'd have to sand it flush unless you left it just short of full. Just use an eye dropper to fill with fluid and decide if you intend to sand and fill appropriately.

Someone else may have more experience at this than I do so wait to hear a few more before you take my advice.

#3 8 months ago

I figured it was a ball that did it. Wouldnt super glue dry kinda clear/white? Yea the plan is to fill in kinda flush. Then just mylar over it. Really don't want to sand the playfield as it would scratch the other clear around the hole.

#4 8 months ago

No the super glue will dry clear, just look for the very thin super glue designed to get in all cracks etc.. Search the site here for threads on cupped inserts and you'll see examples of how they used super glue to fill and level inserts. Keep in mind regardless of what you use to fill, it will be domed, it won't be perfectly flat. The super thin glue alleviates that to some extent but it will dome.

#5 8 months ago
    Quoted from RWH:

No the super glue will dry clear, just look for the very thin super glue designed to get in all cracks etc.. Search the site here for threads on cupped inserts and you'll see examples of how they used super glue to fill and level inserts. Keep in mind regardless of what you use to fill, it will be domed, it won't be perfectly flat. The super thin glue alleviates that to some extent but it will dome.

Thanks. I will do some research.

#6 8 months ago

Is there a flipper bracket or something screwed underneath right where that is? The spacing and size kind of looks like it.

Regardless, there's no way that was done by a ball. Damage is too large.

#7 8 months ago

Are you putting a full playfield mylar on the game? I didn't realize they made those for Sterns, so I'm actually thinking you are talking about the PF protectors that are real thin plastic. If it's that, then no need to worry about filling anything as it wont effect those. If it is actual mylar then you would be best to level it. Depending on if you are concerned about cosmetics or just leveling you could:
    - Not concerned about cosmetics - Use some clear coat to gradually fill it in. You can get a kit from Stern or you could use something as simple as clear touch up (like car touch up paint) that can be bought at any auto parts store. This will fill it in but wont do anything for the appearance of the damage
    - Concerned with cosmetics - match the color of the paint with touch up paint (art supply store could help here) and fill in the spots with that paint. One is in a spotted section so you could fill it in with the base color and use a toothpick to try and recreate the dots. Wont be perfect but would hide the damage a but.

After either of the above is done and dry you can then put mylar over it to seal it in.

#9 8 months ago

Ah. Thanks. Yea it's just mylar cut to the fit the game (Marco's sells it). I could get a play field protector from over seas but with all of this going on it might take a month or 2 to get it.

#10 8 months ago

If that is the direction you are going, I'd get the play field protector and just wait till it comes in. Easier to install and much easier to remove if you ever wanted/need to. You can get it from cointaker too.

https://cointaker.com/products/iron-maiden-pro-playfield-protector-stern-pinball

#11 8 months ago

Are wanting to fill it in and then paint it? If not just leave it, I doubt it will change gameplay.

#12 8 months ago

I was just going to fill it. Then put center mylar over it. Its nascar so I don't want to sink to much into it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 399.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Bent Mods
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 6.00
    Lighting - Led
    Arcade Upkeep
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 9.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Bent Mods
    € 95.00
    Lighting - Led
    FlipperLED
    Various Other Swag
    Shoot Again Pinball
    $ 89.99
    $ 45.00
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    € 3.70
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 229.99
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 12.99
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bent Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 12.50
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Gweem's Mods
    $ 9.99
    Various Other Swag
    Circus Maximus

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside