(Topic ID: 143260)

Ball count unit on Williams Klondike.

By tamoore

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I just picked up this machine over the weekend, and it has some issues. While I'm getting them resolved, I ran across something odd on the Ball Count Unit.

This game is an add a ball, so on startup, the ball count unit resets to zero, and then steps up to 5 balls before the ball is kicked into the shooter lane. It is supposed to be able to go up to 9 if you can win these extra balls.

However, the ratchet cam on the unit is missing several teeth in a row right after the 5 ball position, which makes advancing higher than 5 balls impossible. It seems that these teeth aren't missing due to damage, but are missing due to being cleanly removed.

Is this something that was commonly modified by operators, or was it done at the factory fro games going to states that had issues with AAB?

Thanks for any information you can provide..

#2 8 years ago

Are you sure? Klondike is not an AAB game, Yukon is.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Are you sure? Klondike is not an AAB game, Yukon is.

I'm sure. I've advanced the unit passed these missing teeth, and there are lights in the backglass for balls 6,7,8 and 9, which illuminate.

There is also a 3 way selector switch in the back box that has settings for normal game, AAB, and Novelty.

Maybe the only thing that makes Klondike not an AAB, is the missing teeth on the ball cam?

#4 8 years ago

Weird. I looked at the schematic and it shows lights 1-9. Does it have the numbers on the back of the backglass when the lights illuminate?

Put it in the AAB setting and try advancing through game play and see if the ball count unit tries to advance past 5 on it's own. If so, I'd suspect someone removed these teeth, which is weird if it has the AAB, novelty and replay Jones plug. You might just need a new gear to get this working again.

#5 8 years ago

Actually, I think that answers the question. That's the difference. This cam was modified at the factory so that the ball count wouldn't advance beyond 5. That's got to be the only difference between Yukon and Klondike, other than the back glass. Crazy.

However, in AAB settings, you should be able to advance from one ball to two on Klondike. I'll investigate more as I get the game fully working.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Weird. I looked at the schematic and it shows lights 1-9. Does it have the numbers on the back of the backglass when the lights illuminate?

Yes, the Klondike backglass has the actual numbers.

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1388&picno=54308&zoom=1

#7 8 years ago

Yes, Klondike is adjustable to AAB. Why they also made it in a AAB only version is beyond me. It should definitely advance beyond 5 balls. Are you sure ball cam is not installed 180º off?

#8 8 years ago

Hi tamoree +
I do not know about the teeth on the ratchet cam - are they "filed away" - all look the same ? (broken-off would not look "identical"). Your "That's got to be the only difference ..." (post-5): No, there are differences, the manual is for both: http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1388/Williams_1971_Klondike_Instruction_Manual_no_schematics.pdf -> end of page-5 -> "Yukon ...".
The backglasses are almost the same - I see some difference in the upper-left corner: Trees / no trees - if Klondike were not allowed to step over 5 Balls - why didn't they make the bottom-right corner different ? (no 6, 7, 8, 9 ?) Kuckoo1***.

A "big" difference I see in the flyers: "Klondike - Replay Mode or Novelty Game" <-> "Yukon - Add A Ball or Novelty Play" Kuckoo2***.

Kuckoo1*** / 2***: They did not bother about (removing / painting over 6, 7, 8, 9) - they filed away the teeth - as a replay game (Klondike) is not allowed to step over "5" (?). Greetings Rolf

P.S.: Can "Klondike make an "Extra-Ball"" ?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ball-count-unit-on-williams-klondike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.