Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).PNG
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

Slowly but surely making progress with some start-up issues on my 4 player Bally Flip Flop. However, when I reset the game the Ball Count Unit does nothing. No Ball in Play light on the backglass. I can manually push plunger in solenoid but still does not produce and Ball in play.I f I play the game and let the ball drain, it will continue to play beyond the 5 balls which should end the game. I don't see any movement of switches or relays or anything on the Ball Count Unit during the initial startup. There are other things to fix in the startup that may be causing this. The Credit Button does not start the game, nor is a credit decremented from the credit wheel. I don't know if there's any relation to the Ball Count Unit problem. If Jumping wires within the circuit is an option, which switches/wires specifically would I connect my alligator clips to? I've read the Jumper page link but am still unsure how to go about it. Any direction would be appreciated.

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from flopflip:

when I reset the game the Ball Count Unit does nothing.

If the Ball Count unit reset solenoid doesn't activate when you start the game, Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 3 years ago

For the credit button issue, when you press the credit button with credits showing on the credit unit, does the credit relay coil energize? When you press the credit button, can you hear a relay clicking?

#4 3 years ago

The Ball Index relay IS energized. The Extra Ball relay is not. Nothing I do will get any of the Ball in Play lights (1-5) to come on in the backglass. I checked the bulbs and they are okay.

#5 3 years ago

Yes, Credit relay does energize, and the other relays, Coin, Reset, Score Motor, are in motion. No movement anywhere on Ball Count Unit. Ball kicks out, but no Ball in Play indicated.

#6 3 years ago

I just observed when I manually advance the Ball Count Unit the Player Reset relay energizes. It does not stay energized, but it does energizes each time I advance the BCU up to the next ball. Still, no Ball in Play lights.

#7 3 years ago

For the ball in play lights, check the game over relay. The switch with the brown wire and gray/red wire need to be closed after the game resets to ball 1... Make sure this switch is clean and adjusted properly.

#8 3 years ago

Wow! Cleaning and adjusting that switch on the Game Over relay did the trick, Thanks! Ball Count Unit reset at game start and shot out ball 1 into shooter lane. I played thru 5 balls and all digits, 1,2,3,4,5 lit up on the backglass. Much progress! However, after ball 5 drained the game did not end, rather, another ball was ejected into the shooter lane and game was still on. Game is set for 5 balls per game. Wondering why it did not end?

#9 3 years ago

After the 5th ball drains into the outhole, is the 5th ball light in the backglass still lit? Make sure the ball count unit is advancing fully to the 6th position contact rivet after the 5th ball drains into the outhole. The contact wiper blade needs to be centered over the 6th position contact rivet. Make sure the the 6th position contact rivet is clean.

#10 3 years ago

Last ball seq:

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#11 3 years ago

After Ball 5 drains, the Ball in Play lights go off but the ball continues to eject into shooter lane and game is not over. All rivets and wiper blades appear fine.

#12 3 years ago

If the ball count unit advances to the 6th position, does the game over relay coil with the green/red wire energize and trip? If the game over relay coil does not energize and trip, you can use a jumper wire between the ball count unit on the 7th position wire lug (green/red wire) and the game over relay coil (green/red wire) to test the circuit.

#13 3 years ago

That did it! Jumper wire between Ball Count unit on the 7th position wire lug (green/red wire) and the game over relay coil (green/red wire). After 5th ball drained, Game Over. Now what? Does that indicate a short somewhere? Thanks again!

#14 3 years ago

If the game over relay and the ball count unit are in different locations in the machine - e.g. game over relay in main cabinet / ball count unit in backbox - then it's probably a Jones plug issue. Make sure all the Jones plugs are clean and seated tightly.

If the game over relay and ball count unit are in the same location - e.g. game over relay and ball count unit in main cabinet - you would have to trace the green/red wire to see if it's broken or there could be a faulty solder joint at the connection points.

#15 3 years ago

They are right beside each other in the main cabinet. Should I look at all the Green/Red wires in the game? Including the Backbox and under Playfield? Or can I narrow it down to a specific circuit on the schematic?

#16 3 years ago

The Green/Red wires are bundled tightly between the Ball Count Unit and Game Over relay. Nothing loose or damaged.

#17 3 years ago

There should be just one green/red wire between the game over relay and the ball count unit. You'll probably need to un-bundle the wiring harness to identify that single green/red wire. There might be an internal break in the wire, or possible faulty solder joint at the wire lugs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ball-count-unit-not-functioning and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.