4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

I sure could use some help with my 1973 Williams Triple Action. I had everything working great for years with just a few jumpers between the mechanism panel and the back Box. Then it took a 140 mile ride in a moving truck. I also had the back box removed. Now it won’t count down when the ball goes to the outhole unless the tilt is activated. I’ve been jumpering contacts and wires and checking continuity on multiple relays and the ball count unit but haven’t found a problem. The tilt comes up when I turn it off and turn it back on. When I reset it to start a new game, it goes to three balls and won’t count down. It will count down if I manually activate a tilt switch. The tilts operate the game over relay trip, that seems to be the only time it will count down.

#2 4 years ago

Hi TheJeepsterKid , Welcome to pinside!

Quoted from TheJeepsterKid:

it won’t count down when the ball goes to the outhole unless the tilt is activated

Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 4 years ago

Thanks for the welcome and the reply. That is the circuit I’ve been checking, but everything seems to work fine. That’s why I started tryOmg to figure out why it counts down properly when the machine is tilted. That seemed to get complicated quick

#4 4 years ago

You mean the ball count won't count down, or the center bonus lights? Does everything else work with the outhole i.e. it serves the next ball and ball count advances etc.? And if you do the forced tilt does the next ball get served up? Also when it is 'stuck' and not counting, is the score motor constantly running or not?

#5 4 years ago

Why did you originally need "a few jumpers between the mechanism panel and the back box"?

#6 4 years ago

Right, it won’t count down unless the tilt is lit. Everything else works on the outhole, it does eject the balls. When I push the reset without shutting it off, it’ll count up to three balls and eject one. But it will not count down.The score motor isn’t running continuously. I had features that didn’t work when I first got it, like the hundred thousand point light. Jumpers fixed that sort of thing.

#7 4 years ago

I searched this forum for Triple Action machine issues. I copied the below from a thread that ran about 21 months ago. I was doing essentially the same thing, and getting the same result. I knew I needed the ball index relay to energize, and wondered why the hundred point switch was in the circuit.. No wonder I couldn’t find anything wrong, there was nothing wrong! The solution should have been obvious. Thanks again to those who helped.

‘Okay this is hard to admit but i dont want to abandon this topic i started unresolved.
Let me start by thanking anyone who tried to help me with this. If it wassnt for people like you this machine would still be the 250lb paper weight it was when i bought it.
So before this issue cropped up i had been having issues with reset. After some good advice from someone on a different forum i fixed the reset issue and played 2-3 full games with no issues. Then i decided to change adjustment from adding replays to add a ball. It was late and i was ready for bed but i wanted to test add a ball to make sure it was working. Wanting to make as little noise as possible (kids were sleeping, it was late) instead of playing the game to test it i knocked the appropriate targets down by hand (had the glass off) and racked up a few extra balls. I was then satified that the machine was in working order and wanted to get it to game over so i could unplug it and go to bed. Once again wanting to make as little noise as possible i picked up the ball from the shooter lane and droped it down the drain. Outhole triggered but ball count diddnt change. (Houston, we have a problem.....or so i thought.) At the time not fully understanding the schematic i thought the ball index relay was energized by the outhole relay when outhole is triggered. This is not the case the ball index is energized and held the first time 100pts is scored which during normal gameplay is pretty much at the start of every game.....unless your an idoit like me and start the game and then pick up the ball and drop it straight down the drain in which case the ball index wouldnt be energized and ball count wouldnt step down.
In short the answer to my problem is there is no problem i've just been having a 48hr long blonde moment.‘

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ball-count-reset-doesnt-work?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.