0Playmates-Work-03 (resized).jpg
0Playmates-pinside-picture-King-of-Diaomonds (resized).jpg
0Playmates-Work-02 (resized).jpg
IMG_0787 (resized).jpg
IMG_0783 (resized).jpg
0Playmates-pinside-snippet-Work-01 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180305_0001 copy (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Finishing up on an Gottlieb AAB machine. All scoring operates perfectly, however upon startup the game randomly resets to 5 balls, or 4 or 3. Each game it could be one of these ball counts. Would this issue be directly related to the wiper disc on the BCU?

#2 6 years ago

It sounds like it is, yes. My Flipper Parade often gave 6 or more balls on starting a new game. I cleaned the BCU stepper and it was fine afterward.

#3 6 years ago

To me it sounds like either the stepper is getting stuck and sometimes not making it all the way back to 5 balls (or I suppose it could be a problem with the disc itself), or else the coil isn’t getting the right number if pulses to get it back to 5 always.

Have you serviced the stepper unit including the disc?

Can you have someone press start while you observe the coil to see if it’s pulsing enough times but not moving? If it’s pulsing not not moving freely I’d say you have a mechanical issue with the stepper. But if it’s not pulsing enough then there’s something wrong in the circuit and you’d want to look at the schematic at whatever causes that to reset (could be a score motor switch).

#4 6 years ago

Yes, I disassembled and cleaned the BCU. I see the reset bank sometimes kicks twice while the BCU is resetting back to ball 5. In the attached schematic image, is this the correct path I should check for the pulse being sent to the BCU?

IMG_20180305_0001 copy (resized).jpgIMG_20180305_0001 copy (resized).jpg

#5 6 years ago

Hi Playdium
I would look along the "marked green" wiring. Greetings Rolf

0Playmates-pinside-snippet-Work-01 (resized).jpg0Playmates-pinside-snippet-Work-01 (resized).jpg

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Hi Playdium
I would look along the "marked green" wiring. Greetings Rolf

For my own education, why is the path you marked green correct and not the one OP marked? Still learning schematics. Thanks, Rolf!

#7 6 years ago

Hi goldenboy232
Playdium writes in post-1 "upon startup the game" --- ipdb tells us the pin is an (true) Add-A-Ball-Pin. Playdiums "red line" has a switch on a relay (maybe "E"-Relay) the Score-Motor-Switch-1C is drawn closed means closed when the motor does NOT run --- when starting a game the motor DOES run.
Along my "green line" we see "DB-Armature-Switch" --- the word "armature always has to do with "starting a game".

I wrote about xsvtoys and SteveFury - want to read this: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-time-em-several-question-marks#post-4282958
Greetings Rolf

#8 6 years ago

Hello Rolf,
I've checked both paths and the switch contacts appear to be ok. However, looking closer at the BCU wipers, I've noticed significant wear to the tips. The attached video shows the BCU upon reset. When it advances it sometimes has a small electrical arch at the black conductor rivet. When the disc stops at that point, it is at ball 4. When it resumes one step past that, it is on ball 5. This side of the BCU plate is high power, so could the defective wiper tips be causing the failure to properly advance to ball 5 repeatedly?

www.flickr.com/photos/151944058@N08/

Many thanks

IMG_0783 (resized).jpgIMG_0783 (resized).jpg

IMG_0787 (resized).jpgIMG_0787 (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago

Wow those are WORN in that last photo.

#10 6 years ago

Ya, I'm on the hunt for replacements as we speak.

#11 6 years ago

Hi Playdium
please do net get angry --- one thing is "we should use the proper words" - in post-1 You write "(problem BCU) randomly resets to 5 balls, or 4 or 3". I think the words "reset, resetting" are used when the Unit is stepped 5,4,3,2,1,Zero ball(s).

In post-8 You use the words "high power" --- the stepping up and the stepping down the BCU is done with 24VAC. See the first JPG --- encircled burgundy-red: Score-Motor-Switch-1A. In the schematics Aquarius we see the "Timing Chart" - SCM-1A closes the switch FIVE times in the period of time when the motor does turn a third of a revolution --- the stuff to actuate the motor-switches is there THREE times --- the motor is 120-degrees symmetrical. I doubt that THREE times there is the same fault "actuating BCU for the fourth and the fifth time".
MAYBE (maybe) - see in the JPG my red line and the question mark: Maybe the DB-Relay is resetted too early - so fourth and fifth pulse from SCM-1A are suppressed ? Watch the DB-Relay and listen to the sound of the motor turning - DOES DB-Relay resets VERY late in the turning of 120 degrees - almost at the end ?

See the second JPG - a picture "Gottlieb King of Diamonds - taken from somewhere in pinside" --- see my green line to the spring wound around the axis. IF (if, if) the spring is tightened when stepping Zero,1,2,3,4,5: Maybe the spring is tightened too much for the steps 3 to 4 to 5 ? Remember the original setting - unhook the spring - loosen a third or a half or a full circle - hook-in again the spring - then try the pin - any better ?

I watch Your video - I do not see a stepping - I do not see something of help me understanding - please write an explanation "first we see ... then we see ... then the camera is turned and we see ... etc." I do not understand the video --- well I am NOT good in Single-Player-Pins - due to the fact "such pins are ultra-rare in Switzerland". Greetings Rolf

0Playmates-Work-02 (resized).jpg0Playmates-Work-02 (resized).jpg

0Playmates-pinside-picture-King-of-Diaomonds (resized).jpg0Playmates-pinside-picture-King-of-Diaomonds (resized).jpg

#12 6 years ago

By high power, I am referring to the white, red, and black conductors shown on the BCU plate. This is where the wiper finger is arching at times as shown in the video. (Black conductor position)

#13 6 years ago

Hi Playdium
in the first JPG in Your post-8 I see a wire "orange-green" - also I see a wire "yellow-red maybe the colors are mingled" --- in Your snippet of schematics in post-4 look for "Coil on Subtract Ball Count Unit" then look rightbound --- Switch "Ball Count Unit" with these wire-colors.

When You want to learn about "white, red, black wire" on the unit, shown in post-8: You must look all over Your schematics for "some word(s) and Ball Count Unit" - then look at the wire-colors. OR: You show more of the schematics. Greetings Rolf

#14 6 years ago

Hello Rolf,
I've checked the path as highlighted in post #11 and don't see anything that looks odd. What I am seeing is, sometimes as the reset relay bank resets one second before the score motor stops, ball 4 will light. When the reset bank resets at the same time as the score motor stopping, ball 5 will light.

So what would cause the reset bank to fire periodically at different times?

Also, the black conductor on the BCU goes to the "ball adjustment" position for 5 balls. The white also goes to the "ball adjustment" for 3 balls. The orange green goes to the "point score" adjustment as well as the "zero position" switch. The red yellow goes back to score motor 3B.

Many thanks,
Ken

#15 6 years ago

Hi Ken
I believe we are on the problem You mentioned in post-1 - randomly NOT stepping up to five balls when starting a game (?).
HowardR lately showed his good invention --- an Jumper-Wire or an Test-Light --- one end has an (conventional) gator-clip (to clip-on the Jumper-Wire / Test-Light at an easy accessible Solder-Lug on an switch (we want to clip-on)) --- the other end of the Jumper-Wire / Test-Light ends in an Safety-Pin. The insulation around wires in pinballs is made of fabric --- we insert (sideway - almost parallel to the running wire) - we toggle-off the pin, unplug the main power cord (Safety Reasons) - we insert the safety-pin end of Test-Light-Wire into a wire about 2 to 3 inches away from a solder-lug - insert into the wire - as it is impossible to clip-on there an gator clip. Examples of such "impossible to clip-on an gator-clip are "Score-Motor-Switches" or Relay-Bank-Switches" - not enough room for a gator-clip to clip-on.

See the JPG - I wonder if (encircled burgundy-red) motor-1A switch TRUELY closes five times in a turn of 120 degrees (?). To test this: See my drawn yellow Test-Light*** - one side is clipped-on somewhere at the abundant Wire-Black (my example is: Coil on Add 1000 Unit) --- look for an Coil having two wires of color Black soldered-on at one solder-lug on the coil. The other side with the safety-pin end: Insert the safety pin 2 to 3 inches away from motor-1A-Switch into its wire-color-orange-yellow. The other blade of this switch has an wire of unknown color soldered-on - BUT the wire of unknown color is also soldered-on at "Through-Switch***" - "Through-Switch***" has wire of unknown color and wire-orange-black --- check the Through-Switch for the color unknown - look for same color on motor-1A-Switch - insert the safety-pin of the Test-Light on motor-1A-Switch into wire-color-orange-yellow.
Then plug-in, toggle-on, start a game: DOES the Test-Light ALWAYS light-up FIVE times when the motor does a turn of 120 degrees ?

"Through-Switch***" - here http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1828&picno=39631 in the upper right corner of the pic is the Through-Switch*** - the ball kicked out - rolls over to the shooter-alley and by rolling over: Closes the Through-Switch***.

Test-Light*** - @Steve-Fury made of two 12Volt-car-bulbs put one behind the other his 24Volt-Test-Light - he shows it here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reading-gottlieb-schematics#post-2634425

I would like to know "DOES the Test-Light ALWAYS lights-up FIVE times when the motor is doung a turn of 120 degrees (a third of an revolution) ?" Greetings Rolf

0Playmates-Work-03 (resized).jpg0Playmates-Work-03 (resized).jpg

#16 6 years ago

Here are 2 quick videos of the test light and score motor revolution. The first shows the score motor turning 360 degrees and stepping the BCU to ball 5.
https://flic.kr/p/25oEbHS

Also, at 1A the correct color is Green Yellow. Schematic may have looked like Orange Yellow.

IMG_20180305_0001 (resized).jpgIMG_20180305_0001 (resized).jpg

#17 6 years ago

2nd video showing the score motor turning 1/3 revolution and stepping to ball 4.

https://flic.kr/p/HjC4y3

I am noticing the score motor randomly turns 1/3, 2/3, and complete revolution when starting a new game.

#18 6 years ago

Hi Ken
thanks for the videos - unfortunately when I play them "the video kind of "freezes" - then jumps to another position. Unfortunately the lighting up of the Test-Lamp is very fast - hard to count.

In post-17 You write "motor 'randomly' turns 1/3 or 2/3 or 3/3 of an full revolution". (((Williams and Bally have 180 degrees symmetrical Score-Motors))) Gottlieb Score-Motors are 120 degrees symmetrical. The "unit / entity" is 120 degrees turning (among other stuff done): Five times the motor-1A-Switch is actuated when the motor makes a turn of 120 degrees.

In an fully running gottlieb it depends - the 1/3 or 2/3 or 3/3 depends on "is it complicated / time consuming when the pin does reset the Score-Drums".

Maybe I chase an fantom - my idea is: One of the three symmetrical 120 degrees actuates truely five times the motor-1A, another of the three symmetrical 120 degrees actuates (faulty) only four times - the last of the three symmetrical 120 degrees actuates (faulty) only three times.
The use of the Test-Light is tricky - another idea - when the pin is toggled-off: Mark with some paint - one dash - mark one of the Home-Positions, aother Home-Position mark with two dashes - the last Home-Position mark with three dashes.
Play - start new games - do this about 10 to 20 times - keep a record of "after the game has started and then the pin idles - motor no longer turns: Stopping on Position "one mark" the Ball-Count-Unit has stepped X steps --- stopping on Position "two marks" the Ball-Count-Unit has stepped Y steps --- stopping on Position "three marks" the Ball-Count-Unit has stepped Z steps --- big question: Is it totally random or do You see a pattern like (just as an example) "one mark gives Ball-4, two marks give ball-5, three marks give ball-3" ? You can prove my theory right or You prove it wrong. Greetings Rolf

#19 6 years ago

Rolf,

Thank you for your help. I'll have to dig deeper into this. Occasionally the score motor will continually spin, and the knocker will continually fire. The score reels all do reset properly. I will follow your advice and keep record of where the score motor stops.

Ken

#20 6 years ago

Ken-does the score motor have any play in it?

#21 6 years ago

My guess, for what it's worth as I'm newer to this hobby, is that your heavily worn wiper fingers are getting caught on worn rivets (each was designed to be rounded for smooth action - attached pic has lightly worn wipers on left and brand new on right). I would recommend replacing with new wiper fingers, grinding smooth the heavily worn rivets (or ideally replacing them as well) and very lightly wiping path with Teflon lube. As a temp hack, while you're waiting for new wipers, you could try to grind what's left of your wipers into something that resembles the rounded shape of new ones.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#22 6 years ago

Thanks, that's my feeling right now. I did replace the wipers, but am seeing scorching taking place on the new wiper. I'll remove the plate and replace the rivets.
I'm curious why these were so badly worn. Looks more like it was caused electrically.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Playdium:

I'm curious why these were so badly worn. Looks more like it was caused electrically.

If could just be age, but in addition when an electric current flows through a coil it has something similar to the momentum that a mass has. When the circuit is interrupted, that electrical "momentum" has to go somewhere and can arc across the interrupting contacts. Some games have resistors (or diodes in DC circuits) to keep arcing to a minimum.

For a more technically correct description, look at these threads:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/search?s=1&what=posts&q=resistor+arcing&topic-machine=&pinsider=&age_days=&subforum=63&sort_by=date&sort_order=DESC#results

#24 6 years ago

Troubleshooting is currently on hold due to sending the BCU contact plate out for replacement rivets. I was told by "Steve", that these Add A Ball games are notorious for burning up the wipers on the last 2 positions, because that circuit is what trips the reset bank.

#25 6 years ago

Did you send the contact plate to PBR to have the rivets replaced?

Jody

#26 6 years ago

PBR also has NOS BCU discs for $15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ball-count-randomly-resets?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.