• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ball locked 1 (resized).jpg
ball locked 2 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

When locking balls on my shadow the lock /switches accepts balls and confirms ball1, 2 are locked and starts multiball mode after the 3th one gets in.
Wall is ok and optos as well (un/remounted and cleaned everything)

But in multimode it only releases one ball (on 1 of 3 lock sessions). 2 and 3 remains in position instead of rolling against the diverter.
The diverter goes on trying to shoot balls but balls don't roll over...
Using NEW low magnetized balls. Guess these are the right ones or should they be full magetized ?

I removed the switch board (switch 63/64/65) and bend them all 3 down a bit, contacts are ok (also in edge switch mode with finger or ball touch)

Lifted up the pinball itself a bit on the right to create a downstream...

Playfield is cleaned with novus 2 and Isopropyl alcohol.

Nothing helps only hitting the side of the pinball itself to get the ball moving...

Suggestions?

#2 2 years ago

Game needs to be leveled and make sure PF is at 6.5 degrees incline.

#3 2 years ago

It was at 7.1 and brought it down to 6.5% No changes...

It's like the balls are stuck to each other...

ball locked 1 (resized).jpgball locked 1 (resized).jpgball locked 2 (resized).jpgball locked 2 (resized).jpg

#4 2 years ago

Stuck to each other you say?

Are they magnetized? That game uses a magnet and sometimes that makes the balls magnetized and difficult to roll away from each other.

To test them: set them next to each other on the class against the lock down bar. Slowly & carefully pull one away and see if it grabs the one next to it. Keep rotating balls, pulling carefully, over and over and over. If the balls go collectively, you got magnetized balls and you need to switch them out.

Also, it looks a little dirty back there. It's possible that being magnetized and dirty = makes it difficult for the balls to roll.

#5 2 years ago

See if the slot the balls rest on has wear (divot) that hangs the balls up. Pretty common on some games but hadn't seen of this on shadow, but possible.

A Cliffy switch slot protector might work here.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

Stuck to each other you say?
Are they magnetized? That game uses a magnet and sometimes that makes the balls magnetized and difficult to roll away from each other.
To test them: set them next to each other on the class against the lock down bar. Slowly & carefully pull one away and see if it grabs the one next to it. Keep rotating balls, pulling carefully, over and over and over. If the balls go collectively, you got magnetized balls and you need to switch them out.
Also, it looks a little dirty back there. It's possible that being magnetized and dirty = makes it difficult for the balls to roll.

The dirt has been removed but the lane where the ball passes was clean.

And yes your lockdown bar test make them move as a couple.
But I just bought new ones , sold as 'made for' the shadow and these are 'low magnetized'.
They sell standards but it's mentioned these don't work with magnets and they have full magnetized... Which one are the right ones to use ?

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

See if the slot the balls rest on has wear (divot) that hangs the balls up. Pretty common on some games but hadn't seen of this on shadow, but possible.

I have 5 cliffy's in use in my whitewater, will try if it helps..
I will only be able to get 2 in there (wood has one long cut and cliffys have a bended part at the end) meaning the middle switch where ball 2 is positioned will not have metal underneath from the protector...

#8 2 years ago

You have other games. Just take them out of one of your other games (one that has 5 balls if possible) and swap them to see if you get different results.

EDIT: 5

#9 2 years ago

You have other games. Just take them out of one of your other games (one that has 4 balls if possible) and swap them to see if you get different results.

My F14 has 4 balls, but Shadow has 5... will take 5th out of WH2O

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Tried 2 cliffys and moved them against each other to avoid gap between them.
Not ok, the ball rolls in but stays at the upper side of the cliffy and doesn't activate switch. Clify metal should be larger to be effective.

#11 2 years ago

Tried balls from F14-Tomcat which is a game without magnet.
Same result : ball 2 and 3 don't roll on over the first switch near diverter...

#12 2 years ago

As far as I can tell, the issue is the balls simply not moving forward, yes?

It's gotta be something simple. Is the switch itself lined up with the hole in the playfield? Or is it grinding with the sides of the slot on the playfield, thus making it difficult to roll over?

Is it the right switch? Is the arm protruding out too high?

#13 2 years ago

As far as I can tell, the issue is the balls simply not moving forward, yes?
It's gotta be something simple. Is the switch itself lined up with the hole in the playfield? Or is it grinding with the sides of the slot on the playfield, thus making it difficult to roll over?
Is it the right switch? Is the arm protruding out too high?

Yeah probably something stupid...first thought was alignment of the pinball itself but it's waterpass and at 6.5%, would have been to simple...

Yes switches are aligned, switches are as they look still the originals.

I bend the arm down a bit in line with what I found n the net :

The solution to this problem is to lift the playfield up and rest it against the backbox, then locate the switches under the playfield (with the game turned off). With long-nosed pliers adjust the micro-switch arms, so that only a tiny amount of pressure is require to activate the micro-switch. Then using switch edges test (T.1) place the balls in the lock and test all the switches and ensure that they no-longer present too much resistance to allow the ball to pass.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ball-2-and-3-remains-stuck-at-multiball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.