• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bally Wizard flags.jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
#1 3 years ago

I’ve searched these forums and haven’t found anything specific to my issue. So hopefully this is an easy fix!

Flip-Flag coils #2 and #3 both lock on when the associated stand-up target is activated. #1 and #4 both work flawlessly. I’ve gaped the stand ups. Gaped the stand up relays. Inspected and gaped the coil relays as well as inspected the small locking coil too.

Ive also looked for a short by hooking up my meter to the stand up lug and touching every blade in the cab. The only continuity is found at the respected switch's coil. Inspected the Jones plugs too and can’t find anything amiss. Any help as to where to look next would be greatly appreciated.

#2 3 years ago

Could it be that it's due to 1 and 4 having a RO involved as well?

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#3 3 years ago

1 and 4 have RO switches as well as stand-ups but 2 and 3 are only activate by their stand-up switch.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from ibis:

1 and 4 have RO switches as well as stand-ups but 2 and 3 are only activate by their stand-up switch.

I see that, wondering if it's a factor or just a weird coincidence.

#5 3 years ago

I tried wrapping my head around this once and my brain locked up ... I was away from my computer and the origonal schematics were to small for me to read.

I am also fuzzy on the trip/latch relays what portion is the trip & what is the latch

I suspect there is a contact that is supposed to open on the respective numbers 2 & 3 flip relays.

or the contacts for the flags themselves never change state when flipped

Bally Wizard flags.jpgBally Wizard flags.jpg
#6 3 years ago

Chase that’s what I’m thinking too, a switch is not open releasing the coils from power. I just can’t seem to find the two suspects. It must be somewhere I’m not looking!

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

I see that, wondering if it's a factor or just a weird coincidence.

Agreed, not sure if it’s either a coincidence or just weird!

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from ibis:

Chase that’s what I’m thinking too, a switch is not open releasing the coils from power. I just can’t seem to find the two suspects. It must be somewhere I’m not looking!

One of the things that was giving me brain lock at the time was trying to encompass all 4 flags in my head at the same time.

A couple things I'd try if the machine was here at home for me would be to looks at the respective switches in the dark and see what arcs when a flag is flipped

Another would be to place slips of paper between suspect contacts to help isolate the problem

Got pics of the relays ? also could be some solder splash across the biscuits

#9 3 years ago

Currie, I was thinking about what you said that 1 & 4 have an additional RO switch. I am going to disconnect one of them to see if the issue then travels to that circuit. That would show the problem doesn’t have a way to bypass.

Chase I’ll look for solder blobs, that is extremely possible!

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from ibis:

I am going to disconnect one of them to see if the issue then travels to that circuit. That would show the problem doesn’t have a way to bypass.

Or just block the switch.

4 weeks later
#11 3 years ago

Just an update on this and the solution. Apparently the trip/latch relay I went over at least 15 times wasn't cleaned properly and was causing the coil to stay locked on. Im blown away how this simple issue created such a head ache lol. Anyway, its solved and fixed and Im glad to have the game in working order. Thanks to everyone for their help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
$ 22.50

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/balky-wizard-flag-coil-locking-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.