(Topic ID: 212973)

Bagatelle?

By Darcy

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0072 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0073 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0071 (resized).JPG
    $_59.jpgbagatelle (resized).jpg
    E339A512-3AA1-4F6B-BD50-3DFAE50E5727 (resized).jpeg
    $_59Bagattel (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Here is a photo from Calgary Kijiji. Have never seen one, ever. Interesting indeed! What year would this be from 1920's? A cue stick is included. Wonder if it was home made or produced in a factory?
    $_59Bagattel (resized).jpg$_59Bagattel (resized).jpg

It has Regency style to it, but does not look that old. The playfield has what appears to be made from strips of narrow flooring, not really sure.

Also what rules of play would it have? One ball is brown, is it used as a cue ball?

#2 6 years ago

Sorry, no idea.

As soon as I read 'bagatelle', I thought Catacomb.

Darn beer.

#3 6 years ago

The metal pins make it a billard japonais, which oddly was invented in Europe. An expert in antique furniture might have better luck guessing the vintage.

#4 6 years ago

Darcy those were the precursor to the early pinballs!

I’ll see if I can grab some info from one of my prewar pinball books

#5 6 years ago

Maybe close to this?

E339A512-3AA1-4F6B-BD50-3DFAE50E5727 (resized).jpegE339A512-3AA1-4F6B-BD50-3DFAE50E5727 (resized).jpeg

#6 6 years ago

I am not going to buy this, just thought it was interesting, and not very common. There are large older homes in and around Calgary, as this table would take up some space.

That Single Brown ball has to be hit with your ball to score your ball. Is one rule on Google for a Bagatelle Game.

That ball return looks out of place, it looks different than the rest of the table.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from manitouguy:

Maybe close to this?

That does have a very similar look to it. This one in Calgary looks heavier, and only one hole, there are 3 depressions in the playfield where a ball could sit.

#8 6 years ago

Here is another photo of this game, taken from their Kijiji ad. That playfield is very dusty, and hasn't been waxed in almost 100 years.
    $_59.jpgbagatelle (resized).jpg$_59.jpgbagatelle (resized).jpg

2 months later
    #9 5 years ago

Hey Darcy! Very cool find. Did you ever manage to pick it up? Any additional info when you get the seller? How did it clean up? Any additional pics for us?

Inquiring minds want to know,
    Ryan

#10 5 years ago

I've seen quite a few of these over the years, all different versions of course. I have a 35mm picture of the one at Mackinaw Island but I can't find it right now.....it's deep in my archives as the picture would have been taken back in 1999.

The most recent one I've seen was at an auction and I did manage to get the following pictures of it. I think it went for like $100 if I recall.

John

IMG_0071 (resized).JPGIMG_0071 (resized).JPGIMG_0072 (resized).JPGIMG_0072 (resized).JPGIMG_0073 (resized).JPGIMG_0073 (resized).JPG
    #11 5 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Hey Darcy! Very cool find. Did you ever manage to pick it up? Any additional info when you get the seller? How did it clean up? Any additional pics for us?
    Inquiring minds want to know,
    Ryan

Never bought it, just posted it for general interest. It does resemble the example that manitouguy posted, but it is slightly different.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Here is a photo from Calgary Kijiji. Have never seen one, ever. Interesting indeed! What year would this be from 1920's? A cue stick is included. Wonder if it was home made or produced in a factory?

It has Regency style to it, but does not look that old. The playfield has what appears to be made from strips of narrow flooring, not really sure.
    Also what rules of play would it have? One ball is brown, is it used as a cue ball?

The game is similar to my late 1800's Brunswick-Balke-Collender table. It appears to have the same style trap door drop holes as mine does. A ball going through a trap door is returned for play to the box at bottom center at the front of the playfield.
    My game has a dimple at the top center of the playfield where a red ball is placed. A white ball is shot with a cue stick with the object being to dislodge the red ball which scores double.

More info. here. http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=5999

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bagatelle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.