Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Eric_S
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider matfodtilt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

The game boots, plays, and scores. The problem is the drop targets won't reset and the target saucer related to the drop targets won't kick out the ball. They score points, so I'm guessing the MPU sees those units. They don't react to the solenoid test, but do reset and kick when I ground the transistor ground tab. I have an AllTek MPU and a completely rebuilt, and tested, original SDB in the game. These two solenoids are controlled by transistors 11 & 16 on the SDB. I have replaced every component in both of these circuits. The associated IC's have been replaced. The male pins have been re-flowed and most of the female connectors re-pinned. I have put two other circuit boards in the game and the problem remains. There is 43vdc at both coils and they are good. I am assuming the ground signal is the problem but I am not sure how to isolate the problem. I am about out of ideas, so I'm reaching out to the brain trust. Any, and all, suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Underfield fuse?

All the other coils on the play field fire, but I changed the fuse holder and fuse just in case.

#5 5 years ago

Tested the transistors before I put them on. And you are correct, tab grounding was only mentioned to indicate that there was a clear path from the transistor to the coil. I have put in at least two other SDB's and gotten the same result. Very frustrating.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Eric_S:

Could be a problem with the sigal from the MPU to the SDB. Check easy things like continuity back to the MPU PIA and cold solder joints on connector header pins. Do any of the coils share a comm on upstream IC chip?
I was having random lamp issues and it turned out it was a bad 5101 RAM chip that still passed the start up test. I don't think that this is case here, but if all else fails....

The game has a new AllTek ultimate mpu in it, on top of that I had another alltek mpu on hand which gave me the same results when I put it i the game. I replaced all of the female pins on the mpu and the sdb, and verified, with the schematic, that the connectors were pinned correctly.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Some Joe Shadetree trouble shooting here.
Reading the blueprint on IPDB.org shows all solenoids are powered from a common wire. I just have not located the color of that common wire. On classic Sterns the common wire is yellow.
1) Get a jumper wire and jump from the common wire from a solenoid that is working to common wire of a dead solenoid to make sure you don’t have a break in your common wiring.
Or
2) I advise caution because if you do this wrong you can blow a fuse...
Unsolder or cut the return wire from the dead solenoid and then also cut the return wire from a working solenoid and jumper to the dead solenoid and see if that helps.
If this helps then there can be a problem with the board or a break in the wiring. So you will need to check continuity.
All you are trying to do is isolate where the problem might lie.
Again, DO NOT jump one return wire to another. You can only jump the common wire.
Also, the print shows the drops, the saucer, and the right outlane save gate to be on the same common wire. But the gate is upstream of the drops and saucer.
Hope this helps

The common power wire is yellow and I have 44.7 vdc at both coils, my problem is in getting ground to those coils when the contact is made. If I ground the tab on the associated transistor, the coils fire. I appreciate all the effort, keep 'em coming.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Then try this: Remove the return wire from the wafer connector at J-1 or J-whatever at your MPU. Then put a connector pin on a jump wire and put that to replace the wire you just pulled. Clip the jumper “return” wire to the solenoid and see if bypassing the play field wire changes things.
You will not need to remove the return wire at the solenoid. Just make sure the in-pinned end cannot short on something.
Good luck.

Earlier, I had bypassed all the game wiring to no avail. Found the problem though, a new U2 socket was bad. I'll start continuity testing them before mounting from now on. Thanks to all.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
4,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grandview, MO
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider matfodtilt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baffling-globetrotters-solenoid-issue?tu=matfodtilt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.