• Latest reply 6 years ago by cfh
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1183 (resized).JPG
IMG_1059 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldschoolbob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Can a solenoid transistor go out then come back again?

I'm working on my Stern Wild Fyre - The other day I was playing it and everything was working fine. Then my wife came in and wanted to play. While she was playing I noticed the 10K digits were all flickering. I turned it off while we ate diner. After diner I turned it on to check the flickering and it didn't flicker. I played a few games and it working fine again. I left it on while I did some other things. After a while I noticed it was flickering again. I turned it off then on to reboot and it stuck on the fifth flash. Bad PIA? The next day I replaced the PIA's with the only ones I had - they're used but were working in a spare board. I turned it on and everything seemed to work again. I left it on for almost 2 hours - and it was OK.

I turned it on today to play a few games and it worked fine. I left it on while I cleaned the shop and played it a few times - then it wouldn't kick the ball out of the outhole. I went into solenoid test and the outhole solenoid wouldn't fire. I turned it off while I checked the schematic for the outhole transistor. When I turned it back on again it was working fine again.

Would a bad PIA cause this kind of problem or could a transistor?

Thanks

Bob

#4 6 years ago

The MPU is near prefect. New connectors and headers.

IMG_1059 (resized).JPGIMG_1059 (resized).JPG

IMG_1183 (resized).JPGIMG_1183 (resized).JPG

#7 6 years ago

Thanks pinballplus,

I've had the game on most of the day and play it every few minutes - so far it's been working fine all day - hasn't missed a beat. The driver board has new headers and connectors but I think I might reflow the solder on all the transistors just to be sure.

I hate when I have everything working then someone comes in to play and it acts up.

Bob

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldschoolbob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bad-transistor-or-bad-pia?tu=oldschoolbob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.