(Topic ID: 193801)

Bad switch or diode causing intermittent 5V?

By aerobert

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by aerobert
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Noticed that my Dirty Harry I bought some months ago had a credit dot. Checked it out and it reported bad standup switch 6 (a bullet target).

Alright, the wire was loose but ground was still there so I soldered it back up and I played a minute and the switch registered normally. Great!

Suddenly the game died. It looked like 5V was intermittent because the lights and everything came on and off by itself now and then. The DMD got garbled also. I turned the game off waited a few seconds and turned it on. It would not boot. 5V was missing as the blanking led was not blinking. It did flicker on a second now and then while power was on.

Very strange since the game worked perfectly until then. I desoldered the switch and reseated the flat cables and sure enough. Everything was back in order again.

What can be causing this? I don't think it's the diode since all switches works fine except this one. So it's not shorted closed? The switch itself is a regular standup leaf switch. It worked when wired up. Is the switch messing with the CPU?

Calling GRUMPY and other wizards on this.

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from aerobert:

reseated the flat cables and sure enough. Everything was back in order again.

This maybe what fixed the booting problem, so solder the switch back and retest.

#3 6 years ago

You were right, checked the ribbon cable again and soldered the switch back. No issues.

As usual I was too fast with jumping to conclusions. Funny that it started acting up just when this wire was reattched.

#4 6 years ago

It maybe time for a new set of cables.

#5 6 years ago

They look brand new. Everything is China made nowadays and most things feels flimsy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
7,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, NM
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 37.50
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bad-switch-transistor-causing-intermittent-5v and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.